Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM training on a peloton / spin bike
Quote | Reply
Anyone train for an IM or 70.3 primarily using a peloton / spin bike? I really dislike using a trainer w/ my tri bike and timing limits the amount of outdoor rides I can do.

I realize it's not ideal, but wondering if that will get my bike fitness enough of the way there + throwing in an occasional 3-4 hour outside ride?
Last edited by: smitty3: Apr 28, 19 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: IM training on a peloton / spin bike [smitty3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you like using your tri bike? Seems crazy to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can achieve the necessary aerobic conditioning, but training in your racing position would not be possible. Which IMO makes a big difference.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you could do it and can also be done well.

The main concern is obviously the lack of TT bike position specificity, which can be a real problem if you are one of those people who have a hard time settling into your TT bike position for 2-3 hrs as on race day while putting up race watts.

You'll have to determine how much you need to be on your TT bike to get ready for race day. Fortunately, you can figure that out pretty quickly just by going out for those race-distance or overdistance rides; if you're struggling with discomfort before the 56 mile mark, you will need more TT bike training time.

But if you're lucky enough to be dialed enough into your fit AND have enough bike background and even luck to have few problems at all at 56miles on training rides, you can likely hammer away on your Peloton for training volume and do quite well for your ability on the bike.

Bottom line you want to get to the point where position and comfort is NOT a limiter on race day. After that, unless you're really really squeaking every last watt out like a pro, hammering on the Peloton should give you good legs on race day. Some of my best races involved long stretches of riding upright Lifecycle gym bikes during weekday lunches and only riding long on the weekend with the race bike - I went HARD on those lunch bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: IM training on a peloton / spin bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, super helpful.

Just looking for the most efficient way to get race fit for a full IM.

I’m generally a stronger biker but just don’t like putting in the miles. For shorter races, I’ve been able to use my run fitness to do well on the swim and bike without proper training but figured a full IM would be very different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smitty3 wrote:
Thanks, super helpful.

Just looking for the most efficient way to get race fit for a full IM.

I’m generally a stronger biker but just don’t like putting in the miles. For shorter races, I’ve been able to use my run fitness to do well on the swim and bike without proper training but figured a full IM would be very different.

Oh - just to add to my comment -

I was working erroneously on the assumption that you were training for a 70.3

An IM-race distance is something I'm unfamiliar with, but I would be more wary of fit/position issues given the length of the race. I suspect my advice still applies, but you may find the time to acclimate comfortably to that 5-6+ hr bike more demanding and requiring more time on the TT bike. Hopefully someone else here can clarify.

For my 70.3s though, it wasn't a big deal for me as long as I was riding 2-3 hrs once one the weekends, about weekly in the 5 wks prior to race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM training on a peloton / spin bike [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend a fair bit of time travelling for work (at least 5 hotel nights a month) so unfortunately do a lot of work on spin bikes. I feel I can get probably most of the necessary work done, but I do struggle sometimes to translate that into a race position, especially at race power. Although for me thats primarily olympic distance, I find it a little easier to adjust at lower outputs. If it were me, I would spend some time figuring out why you can't ride the trainer inside. It could be a fit limitation or something that's holding you back while riding outside, without you realizing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM training on a peloton / spin bike [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah. Think it’s probably the fact that I have an old trainer that’s not dynamic so my options are an integrated/live peloton versus an old non-dynamic trainer. Either way, not loving the indoor rides.

Clearly, the ideal option would be to be to buy a new trainer and use Zwift instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just use zwift with the dumb trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: IM training on a peloton / spin bike [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried that and didn’t like it much. And it was always painful transferring the bike on and off the trainer.

While we’re on the topic, any trainer suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know one person who trained for a full almost exclusively on a peloton and did quite well.

Of course it’s not your actual bike but if it helps you get the training time in because you enjoy it then it’s probably a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done it twice and as everyone has said, it’s not strength per se, it’s strength in that position. I did Hawaii 70.3 and St. George 70.3 from a spin bike and you just can’t mimic actually riding hills for power, or getting low enough and relaxing on your bars. IMO anyway.

BUT, if you want to do the race, do the race! Don’t let it stop you from doing the race you want. Still worth doing even if you are limited, I’d say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey smitty. The amount a peloton trainer would cost you could buy an old tt bike on ebay and a new trainer and replicate your position on it if you want to keep your race steed fresh... personally use my tt bike on the trainer all the time with no ill effect so far.

As for trainer recomendations depends on budget. Best bang for your buck probs a kickr core. I have an elite direto that i love but got it before the kickr core was available.

Finally yes you could get fitness from spinning. Wouldnt be optimal as has been said above but still builds that engine way better than doing nothing.

Nb CV is a 4:54 bike split ironman italy on my p2 (bae)
Last edited by: Lazydoc: Apr 28, 19 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Matt Russell uses a spin bike apparently to train with. he posted a pic of a brand he uses on instagram a while back and said he trained on it several times a week. i found that pretty interesting.

2) for what its worth im currently stuck on a spin bike at my remote work location. i bring my power pedals with me and install them so i can get power / cadence to zwift. its not ideal, but for long steady state rides it works. i know my fit isnt dialed in, but i think im close enough to get the workouts i need.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add my 2 cents.

I have a spin bike that I use at work. It isn't feasible for me to have a trainer at work, unfortunately. I have a treadmill, so there's that at least.

I used it for 1 or 2 workouts a week, always intervals. I did some longer rides on it, but they weren't great. For intervals it wasn't horrible. If you have to use it for a couple of workouts a week it's doable but it wasn't my first choice. It's still better than zero.
Quote Reply