Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx again.

But am I the only one that thinks it’s strange that Garmin can continue to market their watches as having advanced optical HR sensors when obviously they do not work for quite a few people?

Great if someone from Garmin could weigh in here.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [Swede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swede wrote:
Thx again.

But am I the only one that thinks it’s strange that Garmin can continue to market their watches as having advanced optical HR sensors when obviously they do not work for quite a few people?

Again, it doesn't matter how good the optical sensor is if the contact on the skin point is suboptimal. This is why the flexiband that Scosche uses allows their older sensor to outperform modern Garmin watches which have a more up to date optical sensor, but due to the form factor of the watch and the thicker band, sometimes don't maintain a great optical contact zone on certain wrists with certain activities.

The Scosche band is soft, pliable, and can be put in the best spot possible for consistent readings. It's more about the band and sensor placement than the sensor unit itself right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swede wrote:
Thx again.

Happy 5S owner here. I had read varying reports and so was a bit sceptical of the optical accuracy when I got it so I compared the optical readings vs HR strap and my 1030 when I first got the Fenix and it was spot on. So much so that I don’t bother with HR straps any more. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear...😏
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
My Vivoactive 3 is:
1) accurate at rest
2) fairly accurate when running
3) not accurate at all when on the trainer

For the life of me, I cannot explain 2 vs. 3. When on the trainer, it simply never catches up to my HR, often reading 40-50bpm low. The only real difference is my arm is mostly stationary when on the trainer, vs. obviously not when running.

This is my exact experience with my 935. It's hilariously low on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a more flexible band would go a long way to solving the problem? Sounds too good to be true to me. Why would Garmin then not provide that as an option at least?

I have tried wearing the watch super tight, not so tight, right arm, left arm etc but no success.
But I will definitely try the Scosche.

But as I am now returning my Fenix what watch should I get that has similar features but does not make me pay the money and battery drainage of the (for me) useless optical HR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swede wrote:
So a more flexible band would go a long way to solving the problem? Sounds too good to be true to me. Why would Garmin then not provide that as an option at least?

I have tried wearing the watch super tight, not so tight, right arm, left arm etc but no success.
But I will definitely try the Scosche.

But as I am now returning my Fenix what watch should I get that has similar features but does not make me pay the money and battery drainage of the (for me) useless optical HR?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying - a more flexible, more snugly fitting band makes all the difference. Note that the Scosche CPU portion is smaller than the Garmin watches as well so it'll also fit more snugly than the Garmin does.

Instead of ditching your Fenix, you could do what nearly everyone else who is serious about HR does, and use either a chest strap or a good wrist/forearm band like the Scosche to send HR data to the Fenix.

It's easy enough to order a Scosche Rhythm+ on Amazon and try it out and just return if you don't like it. Again, location of placement is key with the Scosche and all bands - note that the Scosche does NOT work well on the wrist if worn like a watch, it only works if you put it in the forearm or for some, the biceps area. I'd bet the Garmin would do even better if it could be placed there with the same form factor, as it's got a more up to date optical sensor. But the Rhythm+ sensor is so good when placed correctly that a better sensor wouldn't even help it in my case.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
The optical heart rate on my Apple Watch is more reliable than my Garmin.

I don't think anyone is questioning the reliability of the measurement. Both my Garmin and Apple watches are reliable at providing numbers that purportedly relate to my beating heart. However, neither will give me accurate numbers when undertaking 'active' activities. Great for rest and easy walking, but anything else? The numbers produced are just that, numbers.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 21, 19 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The numbers I’ve gotten on my Apple Watch seem very reasonable given what I’ve seen from a Wahoo chest strap for similar rate of exertion. This is for running, cycling, even swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of the lucky ones that gets bang-on accuracy from my Felix 5s, unless the temps drop below about 35 degrees or so, then it can get pretty spotty. Like many others, I also recommend the scosche (I have the ‘24’ model). I use it on the trainer, and when the temps drop really low I use it to broadcast to the Felix. I honestly got the scosche as an all-in-one Bluetooth HR + pace unit to use for Zwift treadmill running while traveling, but my experience has been that the pace it broadcasts is for sh*t. I use it on my forearm, but maybe if I move it to my bicep the pace would work better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did my research last year on buying a optical hr watch I pretty much found that they work great when at rest, when your actually doing something active they are worthless and you should be wearing a strap. The technology isn't here: when you get a nice layer of sweat between the sensor and your skin, it is much harder to read your HR.

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people on here than me, but that is what I found and also based on my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m fully in the polar eco system so have little to compare to, but I have zero complaints on my OH1 (now upgraded to a OH1 plus).

I pick it up in preference to my chest strap (was a H7, now replaced with a H10).

Before upgrading my OH1 to a OH1 plus, I read this which you may also find interesting :
https://www.google.co.uk/...epth-review.html/amp

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Swede and All,

Thinking about getting a Garmin Fenix 5.

With the watch heart rate sensor turned off does it work ok with a chest strap for sensing heart rate?

Is battery life better for watch with HRM sensor turned off?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Fenix 5 plus. The optical is novel and I use it just to compare against itself, but no I dont think its accurate in the real number.

When I really want to know the real number I wear a chest strap.

I like the watch, but then I tried on my wifes apple watch, so much nicer and lighter... but not for triathlon and hate the idea of charging it that much...so I am back to enjoying my Fenix 5 plus. It works great for IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TankBoy wrote:
I am one of the lucky ones that gets bang-on accuracy from my Felix 5s, unless the temps drop below about 35 degrees or so, then it can get pretty spotty. Like many others, I also recommend the scosche (I have the ‘24’ model). I use it on the trainer, and when the temps drop really low I use it to broadcast to the Felix. I honestly got the scosche as an all-in-one Bluetooth HR + pace unit to use for Zwift treadmill running while traveling, but my experience has been that the pace it broadcasts is for sh*t. I use it on my forearm, but maybe if I move it to my bicep the pace would work better...

My 5s gives me great results unless I'm cross country skiing. Even if I wear it completely under my clothes so it doesn't get interfered with, the numbers are still about 2/3 of what they should be. I have to wear a chest strap for skiing 100% of the time. For running and cycling, it's spot on when I've compared it to the Polar that was replaced by the 5s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is all quite variable to the person.

Garmin 935 works great on me. Intervals, fast, slow, whatever, it’s pretty darn good.

Mio Link is great but not as good as the 935

Schoche rhythm plus, despite the accolades, was terrible on me, at least for running. It loved to cadence lock over and over, every single run.

Garmin modern straps are great on me.

Wahoo TICKR is horrible and almost never finds the correct HR even with electrode gel and the snap is so weak it falls off every time I adjust it.

To each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you wear your Scosche?
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upper arm inside and outside, wrist inside and outside., upper forearm inside and out. None of them worked for me
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR sensor - any that works? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Upper arm inside and outside, wrist inside and outside., upper forearm inside and out. None of them worked for me

That sucks, bummer. For me, upper inner forearm is the only place that works for both Bike/run, but works extremely well. Better than chest straps.
Quote Reply

Prev Next