Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin connect workouts power based intervals
Quote | Reply
I set up a workout in Garmin connect and synced it to my Garmin just fine. The workout intervals were power based so I gave a target range. The problem I ran into was apparently it looks as 3 second power reading which of course can be all over the place. So it brings up a full screen alert complaining I’m either too low or too high. What I really want is it just to look at lap power. I don’t see any way to change this or even change it to look at 30s power.

Anybody familiar with the Garmin connect workouts? Maybe I’m missing something. It’s not a huge deal. In the past I just hit the lap button and remember the interval I need to do but I thought the Garmin workouts might be nice

FYI. This is for outdoor riding. Indoors I just use a smart trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin connect workouts power based intervals [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your Garmin head unit should be set for at least 10 sec (time constant), if not 30. You can probably go to some website like Training Peaks, Xert or other, and change the time constant then import it again into GC. Sounds complicated though. I don't understand why you are unable to change the time constant on your head unit. But then again, maybe the exported file is always unfiltered - in which case it does seem like Garmin Connect should provide a smoothing algorithm that you have some control over.
Last edited by: NealH: Apr 27, 19 16:25
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin connect workouts power based intervals [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll have to check more. I don’t see that on the head unit itself I can edit the workout. But I’ll look to see where I can change it to 30s
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin connect workouts power based intervals [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be on the data field. Hold you finger on the power datafield (assuming touch screen), then it will come up with options, like 3, 10 and 30 sec. It should be there. Thing is, I have not used a power meter in a while and I don't remember if the exported value is smoothed or not.
Last edited by: NealH: Apr 27, 19 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin connect workouts power based intervals [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think if you want it to use a different variation of power as your workout target and reduce the low power alerts you are out of luck.. older version of GC let you set "lap power" as ther target and I think older head units line edge500 still let you do that if you create workout on it..
I just set the target in a pretty wide band and know what power im aiming for so usually don't get many alerts..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin connect workouts power based intervals [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s probably a good solution. I just have my lap power displayed so if I set a wide range I won’t get the alerts
Quote Reply