Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: idiots making all cyclists look bad [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all perfect in sterile operation. We should all follow the rules 100% of the time. What I’m saying is if most people use situational smarts we usually wont have a problem. Granted I guess the whole situational awareness can be different for each person and thus issues will arise.

But you can’t go to the same intersection and see cars roll it when around no one else then tell cyclists to come to a complete stop.

So I’m more in line of simply riding as smart as possible. I’m not going to suggest to blantantly roll a stop sign when an intersection is filled with traffic. But if you roll up to an empty intersection at 6mph and roll through it, I don’t really see the outrage.

Same way we drive 7 mph over the speed limit but if we see someone driving 25 mph over we usually think they are in the wrong.

So I think awareness matters a ton in the “real world”. But should we all follow the “laws” 100% of time? The easy answer is to say yes. I just also see/know how the real world works.

So if we have to be held to a higher standard don’t give me shit if your a driver not holding the same standard.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It's motorists PERCEPTION that all cyclists are reckless rule breakers - so, we collectively have to change that by, riding to the rules of the road, as much as we can - FULL STOP! All cyclists need to be onboard with this.

Good luck with that! You should try living in the real world for a moment. A lot of people on bikes appear to have different ideas, and they are unlikely to change.

Frankly I'm glad I live in a world where they hold insane alleycat races in like ones posted above. I wouldn't do it, and I don't exactly approve. Let's just say I appreciate the spirit, skill, and tremendous balls that would take.

I think it would make more sense to direct your ire towards people texting while driving. That actually kills people... rather than just giving someone an adrenaline rush, and an excuse to vent hatred and anger that is looking for a target.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 26, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: idiots making all cyclists look bad [mark.ewers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mark.ewers wrote:
Bike messengers
FTFY
Criminal or not, it’s pretty cool GNR allowed him to use their music.

True. I just think messengers embody a punk ethos, and I intend that as a compliment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

If cyclists EVER want to be taken seriously, and gain the respect from motorists we want/need, we all have to be on the same page with regards to respecting the rules of the road.

Why do motorists in some European countries seem to respect cyclists a lot more than motorists respect cyclists in other countries? Are cyclists in those countries on the same page regarding respecting the rules of the road or are there other reasons why motorists respect cyclists in those countries? Are the laws in those countries more helpful to cyclists? I'm glad to see that a couple more U.S. states are considering enacting, or have enacted, the Idaho stop law.

I respect the rules (written and unwritten) of the road when I'm cycling because I don't want to be crippled or killed. That doesn't mean that I obey every law. There's a difference. I'd be happy to educate a motorist regarding the difference, but I'm not going to try to be perfect because of some fantasy that if we all seek perfection we'll get the respect of the majority of motorists.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 26, 19 18:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next