Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership
Quote | Reply

I saw this posting on the USAC Facebook Page.

They are starting by offering a joint membership:

The joint membership is now available for purchase for $99, a $31 savings versus purchasing the two memberships separately. More details and a registration link can be found at usacycling.org and usatriathlon.org.

Also:

The organizations will cross-promote their respective National Championships and select sanctioned races to each other’s members in an effort to expand racing opportunities for both groups.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
an "upgrade" for existing members would be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems like a way better deal for triathletes who want to race some TTs or get mass start experience for draft legal tris. Not sure there's the same appeal from the cycling crowd. It will be a windfall source of material for cycling meme makers, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a very nice deal. I'd be also interested if they could form a partnership with USMS.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So USA cycling gets likely more “participant” numbers added to the bottom line when all the numbers are added up while the actual quality of triathletes on bikes likely increases.

I call that a win win.

Because yes I agree less cyclists will turn to “triathlon” than other way.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
This seems like a way better deal for triathletes who want to race some TTs or get mass start experience for draft legal tris. Not sure there's the same appeal from the cycling crowd. It will be a windfall source of material for cycling meme makers, however.

well the usa cycling license alone is almost 90 bucks, so if i was a cyclist i'd probably just get the joint membership "just in case." even doing 1 triathlon race day license "loses" money compared to that (including a relay).
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a win-win, but I am wondering how many already has both memberships anyway. For some in the draft legal races, I can definitely see the benefits of doing some crits.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me this is more of a “seed” planting idea. I think it opens the pathway more easily with this dual membership. As James put it hell for the price “why not” and then maybe get larger cross over, regardless of which org gets the bigger impact.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had failed to consider the impact on the organization itself. As they're fighting for every single rider day, I can see the benefit there.

I'll still buy a 1-day USAT license for the rare triathlon, though, just so I don't have to get that terrible USAT magazine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see it as a win win, with the possible exception of triathletes who can barely keep the wheels down while riding solo bringing those bike handling skills to the local crits...

ETA: as someone else posted above, a prorated option for existing yearly USAT members would be nice
Last edited by: davejustdave: Apr 25, 19 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the cat 5 racing will only know be littered with crashes.......that’s the ticket blame triathletes!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Yes the cat 5 racing will only know be littered with crashes.......that’s the ticket blame triathletes!

Thoughts exactly! Assuming all triathletes can't handle their bike is the same thing as assuming all bike racers are jerks. Doesn't work like that. Especially for the stronger riders. Most of us mix it up in both sports just fine.

Human Person
Last edited by: trismitty: Apr 25, 19 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I was one of the rare racing cycling to Tri conversions. I currently dual license so this is a win for me.

Note- Cat 5 fields don't crash nearly as much as you would think- they normally break up rather quickly and are normally pack size restricted. Cat 4 fields are a nightmare though. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Having witnessed plenty of cat 5 crashes I know pure cyclists are far from all pros at handling, but to pretend people who ride outdoors once a month and never in packs would have even close to the bike handling skills or experience of people who routinely ride in groups all the time is just plain silly.

When was the last time the average triathlete practiced pack sprints? Rubbed wheels? Went through a tight turn inches from 30 other cyclists?

Hell, go stand at a tight 180 degree turnaround on any iron man course and watch the triathletes. That'll tell.you everything you need to know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see this tie in......finally.

Many years, actually probably > 15 years ago when I was on the USAT Duathlon commission and we were tasked with growing duathlon as a sport. This was something we suggested. The rationale was there are were/are a fair bit of cyclists who ran but hardly any who swam.

Why not target a demographic that may cross over to multisport even if it doesn't grow triathlon. Growing USAT's second line sport, maybe get some 1st line growth and increase membership sales.

Nice to see ideas that are old are new again!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a cool idea.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am one of the double dippers - race USAT and USAC - CX and MTB - I think this is a real win win for both NGBs.

Bravo.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of the IM athletes who have terrible bike skills are going to be going to ride crits. So while I understand your sentiment, it’s very overrated imo of who will actually cross over and do crit races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many of them could riding one of the many TTs done under USA Cycling clubs. Or the uphill TT my club hosts.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely but TT's have pretty much no bike handling dangers like close pack riding events (crit/road race). Those guys who sit on Zwift all day on a TT bike hooked up to their trainer....news flash- they aint running to sign up for a crit now that they can get a "cheaper" combo membership. It's going to be a very specific and truly small demographic of triathletes who actually cross over between the two organizations, and the ones that likely do go to race crits, I'm guessing will most likely be able to handle their shit OR be no worse than the other "newbie" knuckleheads that crash out people now in events.

So this idea that dave is suggesting that bad bike handling triathletes are going to fill crit races and crash out more people, I think it's complete non issue. None of those people want to do crit races, and they won't.

But do I agree with his point, yes. I just think it's a real non-issue. Anyone who never does anything with their handling of course will be a liability in close quarters. I just don't think those people will actual show up and race in crits and thus be an issue.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 25, 19 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every summer a few folks in my local tri club entertain the idea of entering the largest crit in the area on a lark. I highly discourage them and attempt to steer them toward a Wednesday night training series instead. Luckily the ones that don’t heed my words are dropped and pulled before they cause much chaos. Too many triathletes test the waters by signing up for a large, marquee event as their first. Cyclists cut their teeth in generally smaller local events or training series.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [bdungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on what you define as big marquee events. If you are meaning large "charity" events, absolutely. But if your meaning run of the mill crits, I just dont see average joe triathlete signing up and doing crits. But that's just my take on it.

But do I see large number of triathletes signing up and doing gran fondo/charity/mass rides with no real "rules" other than just go and have a chance to stop every 20 miles- sure. But you know what else I see? A lot of knucklehead newbie cyclists out there too.

So again do I think triathletes are going to go and ruin cat 5 racing now- yawn.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So this idea that dave is suggesting that bad bike handling triathletes are going to fill crit races and crash out more people, I think it's complete non issue. None of those people want to do crit races, and they won't.
Even cyclists had to start out somewhere. It's not like the triathletes are jumping straight into the P/1/2 field. I say get them into a 20 minute Cat 5 crit and learn the ropes. USAC knows road is dying and triathletes are a large segment that still rides on road. No harm in trying to recruit them to mass start racing. A lot of the triathletes that take advantage of this will do so to enter more sanctioned TT's as has been said. But everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. Cat 5 racing has always been a melting pot of abilities and strengths and if a bunch of triathletes jump into Cat 5 racing I only see net positives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naysayer here, but there's not nearly enough information here to be useful.

I raced a TT series a few years back, which required that I had to get a USAC membership / racing licence. I had to pay a national fee + a local fee, the total was over $100.

This year I jumped on the free USAC membership, which gave me a complimentary 1 day USAC racing licence. Yay free!

So what exactly is this "membership deal" from USAC? Which level membership is this? What's the add on fee (if any) to get a license? More information is needed before I can get excited about this.... or willing to fork over $99.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling and USAT Triathlon for a new partnership [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Cat 5 racing has always been a melting pot of abilities and strengths and if a bunch of triathletes jump into Cat 5 racing I only see net positives.

Agree. Crit racing is a high skill level but it is something that can be learned pretty quickly. I've been doing a weekly road race series for almost 20 years so I've seen a ton of people come into the sport. Most get pretty competent after 4 or 5 races of getting comfortable.

If every triathlete did that we could all but eliminate crashing in triathlons.
Quote Reply

Prev Next