Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caffeine or beets?
Quote | Reply
Trying to make sense of the research on the performance effects of caffeine, beets, and their interaction. From what I can gather, both caffeine and beets at the right doses can have positive effects, but that, in interaction, caffeine basically eliminates any positive effect of the beets. So, three questions:

1) Am I understanding this correctly? Anybody seen anything different?
2) If it is correct, then it would seem to make sense only to take caffeine *or* beets. is there anyway to know which is likely to have the more beneficial effect?
3) Or is there some hybrid that makes sense--beets before the race; caffeine at some point during the race as a stimulant.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine or beets? [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coffee tastes great. Beetroot powder is awful. It is a simple choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done any recent reading on the subject , but my understanding was that consuming nitrites via beets or other vegetables, was best done over a period of a week or two before the race, whereas caffeine is best used during the race, generally in the later stages if it's a long distance event. I've also seen suggestions that reducing caffeine intake leading up to the race may maintain better effectiveness during the race - not sure if this is based on data or otherwise....
I don't remember ever seeing anything about interaction.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffeine or beets? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the guys on the TrainerRoad podcast were talking about it a week or two ago: beets have a positive effect, but the effect disappears when you add caffeine. Some googling around found the studies that those comments were based on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware of this, I'm going to have to experiment on myself to confirm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't make it too complicated. Coffee with breakfast and beets in your salad at dinner.

If you get either on your clothes, good luck getting them out (especially beets).
Quote Reply