Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Jason N wrote:
Doesn't seem they've fully adopted the phone app being able to fully configure activity types, pages, and data fields like the Wahoo. 900 button presses FTW!!!

...geez, no kidding. That would be nice.

Especially considering that service's first troubleshooting step is often: "Let's do a factory reset".

Oh well, It is certainly a pain, but only needs done every year or two.

Actually, there's a way (at least on the 520) to export all your settings and then import them back after the factory reset. Last time I did a reset Garmin support told me about this hidden feature. Not sure if you can export from 520 and then import into 530/830, the config file would need to be backwards compatible.

This has really been a PITA with Garmin for years, despite many complaints. Much easier to configure the device online (e.g. suunto) or smartphone (wahoo), or better yet on all three.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have these gloves (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0NJ9JK), and they work with a 1030. It sometimes takes a repeat or more deliberate action to get a response, but it works.

One man's "works" is another man's "annoyance" is another man's "this is a POS"

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
One man's "works" is another man's "annoyance" is another man's "this is a POS"
Haha, yeah. My “POS” baseline was the 820. By that standard, the 1030 is a miracle in the worst conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be interested, but my 800 is still rocking along. The longer I keep it, the more money it will be worth to a museum.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:

Actually, there's a way (at least on the 520) to export all your settings and then import them back after the factory reset.

I dug into the file tree and found that config file. I do not remember exactly, but I think it was encoded and garbled. If it was pretty much plain text and easily parseable, I would've saved it and copied it back in. For some reason, I did not, simply because I thought that whatever was causing my issue (crashes) might be in that file.

Like exxccvvvviiiii said above, it is not only the data screens, but all of the connected ANT+ devices with their specific names.

It'd be fantastic to have a better way to sort that out. (This was basically my big wish, reading through the device reviews. Oh well.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

Actually, there's a way (at least on the 520) to export all your settings and then import them back after the factory reset.

I dug into the file tree and found that config file. I do not remember exactly, but I think it was encoded and garbled. If it was pretty much plain text and easily parseable, I would've saved it and copied it back in. For some reason, I did not, simply because I thought that whatever was causing my issue (crashes) might be in that file.

Like exxccvvvviiiii said above, it is not only the data screens, but all of the connected ANT+ devices with their specific names.

It'd be fantastic to have a better way to sort that out. (This was basically my big wish, reading through the device reviews. Oh well.)

There is really no reason they can't allow you to configure and save all this stuff on your Garmin connect account and push the settings that are applicable to the given deive (sensors, sensor names, wifi, data screens, etc) over to any device you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a way better announcement than the lame announcement from Wahoo on April 11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which do you think is better is better for daily usage and several vacations abroad: 530 or 830?

830:
1) can navigate to point on map. Sometime you see interesting road and would like to check and change your route.
2) POI + addresses, but I asked some people, and non of them uses navigate to address or POI of their's 1030.
530:
1) cannot navigate to point on map (or scroll map)
2) zoom in/out is not easy.
Last edited by: inv: Apr 29, 19 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [inv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
question for the thread...

what do y'all think an original 520 is worth? it's well used but I've never had any trouble with it. $100? Trying to decide if I can justify upgrading to the 530.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [inv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
inv wrote:
Which do you think is better is better for daily usage and several vacations abroad: 530 or 830?
It's truly a personal "is it worth it" decision. It looks like the specs are essentially identical. If the 830 UI is anything like the 1030, then the 830 UI will be really nice.

I did not think that I would ever use the direct POI mapping feature. I always have my iPhone with me on a ride, and in almost my entire life of riding, I had the route planned beforehand and did not deviate. And, I decided that I wanted a non-touch screen for my TT bike.

I have a 1030 on my road bike. And, if I were buying one of these two new ones for the road bike, I probably would have chosen the 830. I love the 1030.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... has anyone heard anything about ship dates for the 530?

I pre-ordered mine on announcement date, but have not heard anything since. I was amazed that I got my 945 the same week as announce date, so I am hoping that I will see the 530 soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I pre-ordered mine on announcement date, but have not heard anything since. I was amazed that I got my 945 the same week as announce date, so I am hoping that I will see the 530 soon.

My Clever Training pre-order:

Garmin Edge 530 GPS Cycling Computer (Pre-order : Expected Early May)FeaturesComputer Only

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to wait and order through the garmin website and it's now saying available 3-5 weeks (originally said 2-3), so guessing they had higher than anticipated interest in the 530.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered from Amazon: Arriving May 30 - Jun 27

exxxviii wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

My Clever Training pre-order:

Garmin Edge 530 GPS Cycling Computer (Pre-order : Expected Early May)FeaturesComputer Only

Clever Training has a very liberal definition of early May. I ordered the 530 along with the 245 and learned they have a dumb policy where they do not ship as the items are available so they were not shipping me until they had both. I asked when that would be and they said the earliest on the 530 was May 15. Seems a bit shady to say early May if the earliest you'll have it is the midpoint of the month.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least on the Clevertraining UK site, the date was changed today from Early May to Late May.....whatever that means...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [Kurzzug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like all of the UK stores are moving the delivery dates to late May. Money tied up for a another few weeks
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [leahnp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From clevertaining: "there has been a delay from the manufacturer in to our warehouse and therefore, it is looking to be late May before the products arrive in to ourselves."

Oh well....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 830 is ordered from Wiggle and has apparently shipped.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
esuuv wrote:
My 830 is ordered from Wiggle and has apparently shipped.

i read that wiggle is the preferred dealer for garmin...so they get delivered first...lucky you 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by Clevertraining UK that it will ship next week (530). I called them yesterday.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My day 1 order (for the 830) just shipped today from CT. It should be here by the weekend. It'd be cool to have it on my Thursday night group ride, but moreso for the weekend to try out the trail features on mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. My CT order shipped yesterday and USPS says it will arrive tomorrow. I cannot wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine, ordered from BikeTiresDirect arrived yesterday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next