Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence?
Quote | Reply
I'm treadmill running with my Garmin Fenix 5 and broadcasting my HR to my old Garmin 920 that I keep on the treadmill "dashboard" so I can watch my HR without having to look down all the time. The Fenix records running cadence, but will it broadcast it? If not, is there an easy way to do it with an app on it or on my iPhone?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I downloaded the single view field from the garmin app for my 630. It includes HR, pace, cadence, distance and time. This should allow you to see cadence on your watch while you run.
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I downloaded the single view field from the garmin app for my 630. It includes HR, pace, cadence, distance and time. This should allow you to see cadence on your watch while you run.

Oh, I can already see cadence on my watch on my wrist. I want to see it on a different watch so I don't have to keep looking down and almost run off the treadmill by accident. I've got my other watch clipped next to the iPad that I'm watching videos on, showing the HR that my wrist watch is broadcasting. It's very, very cool to only have to look over 2 inches to see my HR. I just want to figure out if my Fenix will broadcast cadence to that other watch as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably won't help but might give you an idea.

I use a Fenix 3 (not HR) and use the HRM Run chest strap - so for me, I could just choose to put the watch on the treadmill rather than my wrist!

Also, I believe the Zwift run pod will also broadcast cadence (plus its bluetooth rather than ANT+)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant help with the techy (I don't think it's possible) but a thumbs up for what you are trying to do in order to focus on the cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same thing, using Zwift as the dashboard. In addition to the Fenix 5, I use the Garmin foot pod and a cable https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/ might be overkill for what you want, but it gets the job done and I get to run in Zwift too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the cadence being tracked by a footpod or just the fenix? if you had a footpod (or the run HR monitor - but presumably you aren’t using that since you are broadcasting wrist HR), then you could just connect that to the 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a question related to run cadence on my Fenix 3 HR. I have a HR strap designed for cycling. https://buy.garmin.com/...B/GB/p/38069#devices

I get cadence data (around 85-92 cadence) on my runs. Garmin do not list either Fenix 3 models in it's compatible devices so I'm at a loss to explain the cadence or whether I should trust it? Does anyone have any experience of this please.

Cyclist, Doting Dad and Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpicune wrote:
I do the same thing, using Zwift as the dashboard. In addition to the Fenix 5, I use the Garmin foot pod and a cable https://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/ might be overkill for what you want, but it gets the job done and I get to run in Zwift too.

Yeah, sounds like the answer is footpod then clip the fenix to the treadmill (or pair the footpod to both). FWIW then I use the footpod with my FR935 and really value it in combination with the HRM-run.
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [mgalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgalex wrote:
I have a question related to run cadence on my Fenix 3 HR. I have a HR strap designed for cycling. https://buy.garmin.com/...B/GB/p/38069#devices

I get cadence data (around 85-92 cadence) on my runs. Garmin do not list either Fenix 3 models in it's compatible devices so I'm at a loss to explain the cadence or whether I should trust it? Does anyone have any experience of this please.

That strap is not specifically for cycling. It's for any Garmin devices that will communicate via ANT+ to the heart rate sensor

Chances are the cadence data is coming from the accelerometers in the watch unless you are using the HRM module with the running man icon on that soft strap. That module has run dynamics including cadence.

That strap is a generic one for all of the separate heart rate sensor modules that Garmin supply, both with and without run dynamics. Since your F3 will purportedly work with any of Garmin's 'advanced' heart rate monitors ( the ones that do not have separate sensors) - https://buy.garmin.com/...p/160512#accessories, you should have no problem with that strap.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 25, 19 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Can the Garmin Fenix broadcast running cadence? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philip, Thanks for that, it makes complete sense. I think I made an assumption about the HRM based on my usage at the time. The strap works perfectly well. It was a bit odd that Garmin don't include it in the list.
I'm new to running and swimming so I'm forcing myself to forget all I think I know so that I can learn best practice. I'm not sure that I NEED a run dynamics and swim metrics at this point as it may cloud the basics.
Loving the challenge of multi sport and finding things about myself that I never thought I could do. That's before even competing!

Cyclist, Doting Dad and Triathlete
Quote Reply