Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, they added a lot of neat sounding features.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pre-ordered my 530 first thing this morning.

Garmin will have a massive chunk of my fitness wallet share this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn, 530 looks great. I was thinking of a wahoo head unit but now having second thoughts!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a 520 Plus last month. Drat. Having said that, none of the new features look particularly compelling for the way I ride: well known routes in a flat area. I do like that they improved the battery life, added built in WiFi and added the ability to load apps. I'll bet if you do a lot of turn by turn navigation on unfamiliar roads or trails, these new features would be really nice additions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the 520 was ancient in technology time-- almost 4 years old. I had my 520 for about 3 years. This update was long overdue. The BOLT is only 2 years old, so maybe Wahoo will be doing something soon.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 24, 19 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yeah, the 520 was ancient in technology time-- almost 4 years old. I had my 520 for about 3 years. This update was long overdue. The BOLT is only 2 years old, so maybe Wahoo will be doing something soon.

that's a good point. but at $299 the new 530 looks hard to beat

Last edited by: Callin': Apr 24, 19 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
at $299 the new 530 looks hard to beat
Ditto that. My pre-ordered 530 cannot get here soon enough. I like that the case is black and the screen is both higher resolution and slightly bigger.

I almost ordered the 830, but decided that I do not care about the advanced mapping. And, I HATED the 820 with its horrific touch screen and abysmal battery life. That trial only lasted 2 days and sent me running back to my trusty 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. I miss the touch screen of my old 510 and will be selling my 520 Plus shortly for an 830. My friend's 820 seems to work just fine and I just can't get my brain away from clicking buttons on the side vs. what I actually want to click on the screen.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. I miss the touch screen of my old 510 and will be selling my 520 Plus shortly for an 830.
My gut is that the 830 touchscreen is sorted. I also have a 1030 on my road bike, and that whole screen and UI is fantastic. I imagine that the 830 is just a smaller version of the same.

I really picked the 530 because I do not need the advanced nav stuff for my TT bike. And, it would be positioned right under my face and collect sweat drops. So, if it is sensitive at all to moisture, I would bring out the worst. That, and the longer battery life of the 530 is appealing to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on using this mostly on a road bike and hoping to build it with the updated ultegra shifters with the hood buttons that allow you to flip pages.

I’m not keen on a touch screen either my old 810 became useless because of it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 830, because I have high hopes for the touch screen. Especially when on the map screen and I want to zoom out, on the 520 it is dumb: top right button, switch auto zoom to manual, use the arrow buttons for In/Out. This has to be better with a down swipe or otherwise floating buttons on the screen, right?

First thing, I'm taking it into some muddy MTB. If it works there, I'll be happy. If it's terrible, I'll swap it for the 530 and $100.

Looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
530 is all black. Purchasing.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't seem they've fully adopted the phone app being able to fully configure activity types, pages, and data fields like the Wahoo. 900 button presses FTW!!!

That said, the trailforks MTB map support and new MTB related accelerometer data fields look cool for my purposes. Hopefully their stated battery life is legit. The bike alarm is also a cool little touch.

Still love my Wahoo Bolt, and interested to see what they have coming down the pipe. I have to imagine Wahoo already knew that Garmin had the 530 in the works being it has been 3 years (I don't think the 520 plus really counts). I would hold off considering Garmin's track record of new product bugs and to see if Wahoo may have something coming soon as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been waiting for the successor to the 820. My 820 has been great, but the 830 is checking the boxes I've been wanting checked (and then some). For ultra-endurance races, being able to "hard connect" to the newer Garmin battery will be a big deal. Using cable connections for auxiliary batteries doesn't work all that well -- requires constant attention. It's odd, but that's the difference that's pushing me over the edge. (Pun not intended.)

I pre-ordered my 830 this morning. I just wish I could take delivery before Saturday's race!
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Apr 24, 19 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Doesn't seem they've fully adopted the phone app being able to fully configure activity types, pages, and data fields like the Wahoo. 900 button presses FTW!!!

...geez, no kidding. That would be nice.

Especially considering that service's first troubleshooting step is often: "Let's do a factory reset".

Oh well, It is certainly a pain, but only needs done every year or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I was just about to buy a bolt to replace an older Garmin head unit. Probably going with the 530 after reading the DC Rainmaker review this morning. Thanks for posting!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me, the wahoo is in my amazon shopping cart, now probably going for the 830.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Doesn't seem they've fully adopted the phone app being able to fully configure activity types, pages, and data fields like the Wahoo.

dfroelich wrote:
...geez, no kidding....
Yep, total PITA. I just got a 1030. I opened a bottle of wine and sat on the couch with all my Ant+ bits and my 520 to setup the 1030 just like the 520. One huge advantage of the 830 is the touchscreen-- setting up a Edge with a touchscreen is radically easier than the non-touchscreen versions. I almost pre-ordered the 830 just for the easier setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the two coolest features are time and distance to the top of hill you are on, and also the trailforks integration for the MTB riding. Very good idea for Garmin to build out MTB functionality because that is where the market is exploding right now.

The visual to the top of the hill will be great for courses you have not ridden but are racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

I agree. I like tactile buttons you can press with muscle memory vs. touchscreens where you generally have to look at the unit while you're navigating through screens. Also touchscreens tend not to work great with gloves (though not sure about this one). Annoying to have to take gloves off in freezing weather just to hit start or something. They also tend to not work great when wet which can get super annoying. (though also not sure about this one).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Callin' wrote:

I agree. I like tactile buttons you can press with muscle memory vs. touchscreens where you generally have to look at the unit while you're navigating through screens. Also touchscreens tend not to work great with gloves (though not sure about this one). Annoying to have to take gloves off in freezing weather just to hit start or something. They also tend to not work great when wet which can get super annoying. (though also not sure about this one).

Yeah, I'm hoping the TS works well with gloves. Early reviews say its pretty good.

However, to your specific example above, the start/stop and lap buttons are both physical buttons still.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Launches the Edge 530 and 830! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping the TS works well with gloves. Early reviews say its pretty good.
It probably depends more on the gloves than the screen.

That said, if the 830 screen is similar to the 1030, it should be OK. I have these gloves (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0NJ9JK), and they work with a 1030. It sometimes takes a repeat or more deliberate action to get a response, but it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah for me as well the trailforks integration is huge.
I am still running a 800, great for navigating road rides but useless out on the trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 530. Anyone want to buy my 520+

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply

Prev Next