Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 910 that's still going after 7 years now. I just got a 935 and really like it. Wife has a 910 and it crapped out. Garmin sent her a new one free. I skip generations and by looking at the 945 differences from the 935 I don't see a justification for the price jump.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm making myself feel old when I say "I remember when..." the Ambit3 Peak (upper end model) was $500. The Sport, with all it's tri-specific goodness, was ~$370 WITH A HR strap, and I remember thinking it was high end.

A bit of a stretch, but I think Apple has done more to accidentally hurt the sport-watch industry than anyone else. Hear me out: When sport watches were *just* sport watches (Ambit3/Fenix 3) they were perfectly fine. Sure, the optical HR tech wasn't there yet, they didn't have vibrating alerts, that sort of thing, but they were excellent. Then the rise of the Apple watch did three things: One, people wanted their watches to do way more, it made the LCD or low-color screens of the Ambit and F3 look very dated, and it conditioned people to be willing to pay more.

So now you've got Garmin trying to shove every feature ever into these things (which is fine, I'm not a luddite, I can get behind it), you've got these crappy color screens that I STILL maintain aren't as easy to read in all conditions as the dang Ambit3, and we're supposed to pay $750 for (in most people's cases, day to day) pace, HR, swim pace, distance, and time. Sure you've got mapping on a tiny ass screen, but I don't consider this something that most people use most of the time.

I don't know, rant over. I'm not that dense, I see the value in adding features, and I'm not opposed to it. I just don't like the cost creap to shove all these one-offs in. The Ambit3/Fenix3 gen is still my favorite; those watches updated with some newer internals, optical HR (maybe), vibrating alerts, etc, are pretty much the epitome for me. But of course, those wouldn't sell, because people apparently want their sport watches to be all-in smartwatches now.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
IA bit of a stretch, but I think Apple has done more to accidentally hurt the sport-watch industry than anyone else. Hear me out: When sport watches were *just* sport watches (Ambit3/Fenix 3) they were perfectly fine. Sure, the optical HR tech wasn't there yet, they didn't have vibrating alerts, that sort of thing, but they were excellent. Then the rise of the Apple watch did three things: One, people wanted their watches to do way more, it made the LCD or low-color screens of the Ambit and F3 look very dated, and it conditioned people to be willing to pay more.

To Apple's defense, the Apple Watch costs "only" $399/$429 (depending on the size). The two big features Garmin is adding are Garmin Pay and Music. Both features already exist on the Apple Watch. That's why I still don't understand why the 945 will cost $599.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
IA bit of a stretch, but I think Apple has done more to accidentally hurt the sport-watch industry than anyone else. Hear me out: When sport watches were *just* sport watches (Ambit3/Fenix 3) they were perfectly fine. Sure, the optical HR tech wasn't there yet, they didn't have vibrating alerts, that sort of thing, but they were excellent. Then the rise of the Apple watch did three things: One, people wanted their watches to do way more, it made the LCD or low-color screens of the Ambit and F3 look very dated, and it conditioned people to be willing to pay more.

To Apple's defense, the Apple Watch costs "only" $399/$429 (depending on the size). The two big features Garmin is adding are Garmin Pay and Music. Both features already exist on the Apple Watch. That's why I still don't understand why the 945 will cost $599.

Yeah, totally true. I guess I am thinking back to when smartwatches didn't really exist at all and the "high end" of Garmin/Suunto was 375-500. The whole market moved up because now the 'norm' is 250-400 (Suunto Spartain Trainer, Garmin 235 and such.) Hell, the Forerunner 35 is now 170; the 25 used to be $140 and the FR10 was $100 at launch. They've just pushed the whole market up without really giving many more features. Super frustrating.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:

Apple prices their watches knowing that once they have the hardware on your wrist, they're likely to garner significant residual income from you over time on app store and itunes store purchases, plus subscriptions like apple music, icloud, etc. Also, they know you're more likely to purchase one of their phones the next time you need/want to upgrade.

Garmin residual income streams aren't even close, so they need to make more on the initial sale.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 24, 19 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
gguerini wrote:
justinhorne wrote:

Yeah, totally true. I guess I am thinking back to when smartwatches didn't really exist at all and the "high end" of Garmin/Suunto was 375-500. The whole market moved up because now the 'norm' is 250-400 (Suunto Spartain Trainer, Garmin 235 and such.) Hell, the Forerunner 35 is now 170; the 25 used to be $140 and the FR10 was $100 at launch. They've just pushed the whole market up without really giving many more features. Super frustrating.

I agree, and I think it may explain why a lot of the older Garmin models have not dropped significantly in price. I had two 305s, one when it was just released, and the second one years later, with a discounted price and a $50 rebate (the second one still works fine). I have a 920xt, which is great but as others have said maybe only has a few years life span, I would like to get another one. But the 920xt hasn't really dropped in price like you'd expect older models would. It could be due to the fact that it looks cheap relative to the new models, and still provides more than what most of us need.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to have one of their phones to even setup the Apple Watch. It is 100% useless without an iPhone. The Apple Watch is residual income.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$529 gets you all that and the ability to make an actual phone call if you get a flat or get picked up by an Uber. Or automatically make a call to 911 if you crash.

My first Garmin watch was a 305 and I had many up to the 735. I bought a first gen and second gen Apple Watch and returned both. I now have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular and it’s friggin great. The only thing better on the Garmin watches is the battery life. I have no problem with the touch screen. And since most of my workouts are <60 min runs or <90 Zwift rides it’s perfect.

Garmin is in trouble.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
You have to have one of their phones to even setup the Apple Watch. It is 100% useless without an iPhone.

Which is why, once you have the watch, your likelihood of switching to android drops to almost zero.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
You guys are normally ahead of me on this stuff

https://www.wareable.com/...-specs-features-7128

when my FR 620 died, I got an 735xt from Customer Service, and I am quite happy with him. I use my old 910xt only for triathlon races, but my 735xt for everyday training.

I only would think in an upgrade for the strength activities function of garmin 935 and an longer battery (for ironman with sensors).

Garmin should do more triathlon watches, 945 is fine, is the top from the brand.. but there are a lot of features that are not for everyone, or at least is not for triathlon (yes, they may be are for training).

I would think of buying the 935.. as its price should decrease.. but there are so many friends with problems, so many friends that after less than 10months need to send the watch to be repaired or changed..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The comparison of apple to Garmin has me suddenly dreaming of a Garmin phone. One would think it’s on their radar as they have experience with so many of the hardware and software pieces. How far off are the new cycling computers from a smartphone really? Please tell me it is coming!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
The comparison of apple to Garmin has me suddenly dreaming of a Garmin phone. One would think it’s on their radar as they have experience with so many of the hardware and software pieces. How far off are the new cycling computers from a smartphone really? Please tell me it is coming!

This is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. <sarcasm>Because Garmin products are the pinnacle of technology stability and reliability.</sarcasm>
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:

'Dreaming' ??
More likely 'Nightmare'.

Ican see tje new Apple advertisment slogan now...
"Garmin mobile phones... made to make iphones appear good"
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your experience may be vastly different, but my garmin products (at least 5 of them) have all served me well. Honestly, if you get on apple forums all you will see are people non-stop complaining about apple products. Don't see how their experience is any different from ours or vice versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:

You are over a decade too late. There was once a Garmin phone (several variations actually). The first one was released right around the time of the first iPhone. I distinctly remember visiting a Garmin store in Chicago and playing with it. Here's a review of what I think was the last version: https://www.cnet.com/...one-t-mobile-review/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Promo Video here:

Looks like the release date will be May 1st.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK someone break this down for me...all I want is to upgrade my Fenix 3 to add wrist-based HR and music, that's it. Currently debating a 5 Plus vs. the forthcoming 945. What's the diff? Both have music, both have Garmin Pay (who cares), maps, wrist HR, maps, V02max, etc. 945 has incident detection - big whoop I have that on my phone already.

So the 945 is what - lighter and 50 bucks less? Is that the only tradeoff or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:

10/10 very bad idea

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 29, 19 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate you editing your post and turning down the level of aggressiveness. Not sure what the reason of finding it a bad idea. You may find it a stretch but I doubt the thought has escaped the people at Garmin. They are making touch screen devices with all the bells, whistles, and form of a phone. One would think that Garmin should have cell phone connectivity within two years. I'm rather surprised that the newest 530/830 aren't 4G connected as it is. A multipurpose phone/ cycling computer/ watch is in the future. Just a matter of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
They are making touch screen devices with all the bells, whistles, and form of a phone. One would think that Garmin should have cell phone connectivity within two years. I'm rather surprised that the newest 530/830 aren't 4G connected as it is. A multipurpose phone/ cycling computer/ watch is in the future. Just a matter of time.

The Vivoactive 3 Music is already available with LTE connectivity through Verizon. Doesn't do voice calls, but you can do two-way SMS messaging. I think that'll be my next watch. If I can text for help from my watch, I think I'd be comfortable leaving the a phone at home when on a ride. Apple Watch can do the same, and even voice, but the Garmin gets bonus points for being able to give a vibrating notification if the Varia radar picks up an approaching car.

Last edited by: gary p: Apr 30, 19 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right! I totally missed the Vivoactive...mostly because I am with At&t so the watch is a non-starter for me. Thanks for reminding me of what I'm missing out on! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Garmin website, the 935 is 1 gram lighter than the 945 so I'm on the fence about buying the 945.

Perhaps that 1 gram will help my running?

I mean it's only $600... :)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
OK someone break this down for me...all I want is to upgrade my Fenix 3 to add wrist-based HR and music, that's it. Currently debating a 5 Plus vs. the forthcoming 945. What's the diff? Both have music, both have Garmin Pay (who cares), maps, wrist HR, maps, V02max, etc. 945 has incident detection - big whoop I have that on my phone already.

So the 945 is what - lighter and 50 bucks less? Is that the only tradeoff or am I missing something?

This I what I don’t get. It’s too close to the Fenix 5+. I have a 5+ and would spend $50 more for it for all the features and nicer looking bezel all day long.

Had the 945 been $500 I might have regretted the 5+ and wished I’d waited a few months for save $150 for close enough features. But glad I didn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to DC Rainmaker it's got all of the features of the fenix 5x+ (plus more), for the $600 price point. It's just plastic (which I actually prefer). I'm getting one.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html

Edit: just noticed they knocked the price down $150 across the board on the fenix versions. Can get the fenix 5+ for $499 now. Think I may do that instead.
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 30, 19 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
According to the Garmin website, the 935 is 1 gram lighter than the 945 so I'm on the fence about buying the 945.

Perhaps that 1 gram will help my running?

I mean it's only $600... :)

Even better: train with the 945, race with the 935. You'll feel like you're flying.

;)

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next