2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit, guess I'm going to have to get those since they hold far less water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wait till next year. They'll be even faster.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that they lowered the drop a little bit. It’ll be interesting to see what the new upper is like. I personally liked the upper in Version 1 better than Version 2 of the 4%

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's new......Nike Gen 2 Next% comes with new colors, upgrades from feedback from our elite athletes, and a new price of $350 from feedback from our Marketing Department...………..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
What's new......Nike Gen 2 Next% comes with new colors, upgrades from feedback from our elite athletes, and a new price of $350 from feedback from our Marketing Department...………..

Yeah, sounds right.

I like the 4% pair I have (Flyknit version or some such thing). I only wear them for races and the week prior so I likely won’t need any for a while.

They new ones look cool, but I’m not rich enough to replace them for that reason.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issue with the ZoomFly is the lack of a heel cup and they're continuing with that idiocy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

You're not off but really all Nike did here was make the Nike Vaporfly Elite version readily available for the public and change the name for marketing reasons.

Also, I think this shoe will be slower for the general public because of the lower drop. I'll likely snag a couple 4%s on sale if possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between these and the new Garmin 530/830 announcement, its going to be an expensive day for some folks here.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool.
I gotta try them someday.
But something that Nike does not tell you:

A 4% improvement in efficiency does not equal a 4% increase in speed.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Cool.

I think the NYT article showed it to be fairly true

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Apr 24, 19 16:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. But I've never felt so good at 5:30 pace off the bike as I do in those shoes :P i think it was more like a 2% increase in speed or so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure the % varies for everyone but I just ran my fastest ever 70.3 and bagged a KQ with a set and had no soreness the following day. I've never been so happy to hand over an excruciating amount of dollars for a shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/Throws wallet at monitor

I still have a spare set of the first gen's ready to go,but like the additional of more magic foam to the insole and improved lacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooo anyone in London got a pair yet?? (released yesterday in London only)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you replace the standard laces with elastic ones to save some time in T1? I usually do this, but not sure if the time saved is worth the loss in efficiency/performance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the general consensus on these? Is it worth drinking the kool aid?

Other than an unfortunate season of running in Newtons, which never seemed to really work for me, I have only run in Kinvaras over the past ~9 years (basically since they were a new thing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Soooo anyone in London got a pair yet?? (released yesterday in London only)

few folks in UK have gotten them via the Nike app. Look on the Vaporfly FB page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been excited to try this forefoot for some time.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [bob2run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I put elastic in but in the first 70.3 was too loose and with some steep descents and the lack of heal cup my foot was sliding around in those sections. I put a spring operated slide tighter on for the last and after putting the shoe on pulled about 2 inches of lace out and they were fine in the soaking wet too on some longer steeper downhills with turns. You definitely need tighter laces in the flyknit model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Cool.

I think the NYT article showed it to be fairly true

The NYT article showed they were 4% better than.. not sure exactly. It showed they were 1% better than the Nike Zoom Streak, on average. So technically you could call it the "Nike Zoom Streak 3%".

What Nike has never said is, the Vaporflys are 4% more efficient than what, running barefoot? Running in sandals? If it's *every* other shoe, then that doesn't say good things about the other running shoes they sell.

I'd have to look and see what the NYT article showed exactly.. but it definitely wasn't 4% better than everything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
What's the general consensus on these? Is it worth drinking the kool aid?

No. The best part is seeing someone get off the bike in T2, sit down and spend 60 seconds tying their Vaporfly shoe laces before getting out on the run. Chances are any difference the shoes make (if any) offset the minute they spent tying the laces. Sure, people can buy elastic laces, but the lack of awareness about that point is pretty amazing. A pair of Zoot TT shoes (or similar idea) that you can slip in on six seconds seems like it would make the most sense for any distance 70.3 or below.

And even more so is the addition of variables in triathlon that could have an effect on the run performance. In a standalone marathon, there are so many variables that can throw off a shoe experiment. I imagine the fatigue of swimming and biking beforehand makes it even tougher to quantify the difference they make. Give Lionel Sanders some Vaporflys.. will he catch Patrick Lange at Kona?

It's like the disc wheel of running. In a lab, perhaps. For an elite rider who is really pushing it, even more perhaps. For an age grouper.. I'd bet it's more placebo than anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
What Nike has never said is, the Vaporflys are 4% more efficient than what, running barefoot? Running in sandals? If it's *every* other shoe, then that doesn't say good things about the other running shoes they sell.

I'd have to look and see what the NYT article showed exactly.. but it definitely wasn't 4% better than everything else.

In the linked article above they say:

When Nike launched the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4%, the shoe delivered an average of 4 percent improved running economy over Nike’s previous fastest marathon shoe, the Nike Zoom Streak 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
phoenixR34 wrote:

In the linked article above they say:

When Nike launched the Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4%, the shoe delivered an average of 4 percent improved running economy over Nike’s previous fastest marathon shoe, the Nike Zoom Streak 6.

Well I stand corrected then. Impressive claim, as the Zoom Streak is already pretty good. But I don't doubt it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next