Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Annual IMTX water temp thread
Quote | Reply
66 degrees today as measured by Tim Floyd (SnappingT).

Forecast for next week is upper 70s for highs and low 60s for lows. With some rain middle of next week. Race day looks like a scorcher with temps closing in on 90 degrees.

So chance of a wetsuit swim if that forecast holds is 100%.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have looked at several different weather sites regarding race day. If the current forecasts hold up, yes it will be a tough one.

Dark Sky is my current favorite site followed closely by Weather underground.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim's measured temp this morning was 73. Rain today so that should cool things down for tomorrow's reading.

High/low temps:
Wed 76/62
Thur 74/60
Fri 83/57

I think it stays under 76.1 degrees with this forecast.Especially given the low-60s and high-50s low temps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're saying pack the wetsuit for the trip?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! I have mine packed along with my swim skin.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the odds on wetsuit? If it is wetsuit legal, should I go with my thinnest wetsuit to combat the heat and humidity?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Twice I have competed in IM swims with wetsuit optional temperatures and both times I have regretted it. First it was a thicker wetsuit, the second a thinner one. Once I stopped mid swim and contemplated removing the wetsuit.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2017, it was not wet suit legal. Last year, it was wet suit legal. Some people do overheat in a wet suit, so I guess it is personal preference and your experience with wearing a wet suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I super appreciate this comment. I have never had a race where I had to remove my wetsuit, but I've only ever raced in water temperatures below 70 degrees. I have however swam in an open water swim in a wetsuit where the sun and air temperature were pretty intense and I felt like vomiting after a mile. I'll definitely want to dip my toes in lake woodlands just to get an idea. I saw the forecast says about 85 degrees, 54% humidity, and 5-10 mph wind from the south.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim time temp won’t be anywhere near 85. Likely in the low to mid 60s.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair point, but how intense is the sun in Woodlands (It's been a few years since I've been to Houston)? I'm thinking I'll pack the orca alpha as it doesn't hold that much heat.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m so slow I’ll be bringing the wetsuit and praying for low temps. I need as much speed as I can get for my first IM.

Coming from SW Florida I’m used to the heat anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam Florida in a wetsuit at 76 degrees. It was horrible. It was two loops and a short run between. I remember hot water flowing out (I had a DeSoto two piece).
Go thin sleeveless if you must go wetsuit.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
76 as water or air temp?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I swam Florida in a wetsuit at 76 degrees. It was horrible. It was two loops and a short run between. I remember hot water flowing out (I had a DeSoto two piece).
Go thin sleeveless if you must go wetsuit.

That's a very n=1 experience. I've swam in 80 degree water with 80 degree air temps in a wetsuit and it didn't phase me one bit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp was 76. Just under the 76.1 limit

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Lake Woodlands Water Temperature Facebook page, temp was 73ish this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/...0xW1ZxkthAhlUuJDJZjD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Houston and have raced IMTX every year. My personal wetsuit cutoff temp is 72 or below. I did wear my thin wetsuit (Wiki wiki) last year, and was okay and not too hot. But, I think last year it was cooler water than today's reading of 73 this morning. The other factor is the sun, and if it comes out as we are getting started. If the sun is out, it's going to get hot.

Most likely will be wearing my swimskin and no wetsuit. The day is going to be hot once out on the bike, and I dont want to come out of the swim cooking already.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'll bring both but I absolutely know what you're talking about with the sun. Perhaps we can discuss strategy at the Team Zoot dinner in Texas, are you attending?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair point, but how intense is the sun in Woodlands //

I don't think it really matters where you are at, if the swim is in the morning just after sunrise, then it is so low on the horizon as not to have that much affect on you. The worst the sun can do that early in the morning, is to just get in your line of sight, and make staying on course a pain..

And all of you that are talking about overheating, remember just letting your swim cap fall off is a huge relief. If you need more, go sleeve less, and in extreme cases, just slow down. Remember at some slower speeds, one is going 10 to 20 seconds a 100 faster. So slow down 5 seconds, conserve energy and stay cooler, and still go faster overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be at the dinner too and want to eavesdrop on this conversation.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Yeah, I'll bring both but I absolutely know what you're talking about with the sun. Perhaps we can discuss strategy at the Team Zoot dinner in Texas, are you attending?

Yep, I'm the Texas Captain, so I'm hosting it. We will definitely talk strategy.

Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to it

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

And all of you that are talking about overheating, remember just letting your swim cap fall off is a huge relief.

Hummm......"fall off"...... gosh, but then how would the photographers know who it is without a number on the side of your head???

Quote Reply
Re: Annual IMTX water temp thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Fair point, but how intense is the sun in Woodlands //

I don't think it really matters where you are at, if the swim is in the morning just after sunrise, then it is so low on the horizon as not to have that much affect on you. The worst the sun can do that early in the morning, is to just get in your line of sight, and make staying on course a pain..

And all of you that are talking about overheating, remember just letting your swim cap fall off is a huge relief. If you need more, go sleeve less, and in extreme cases, just slow down. Remember at some slower speeds, one is going 10 to 20 seconds a 100 faster. So slow down 5 seconds, conserve energy and stay cooler, and still go faster overall.

In between the sleeveless wetsuit and the skinsuit are core shorts. Seems to me if the water temp is barely legal you could put a pair of those on, get the benefit of the lift, and stay a lot cooler.
Quote Reply

Prev Next