Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you had to build a mechanical 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like?
Quote | Reply
I've been running the entire SRAM 1x road lineup for a few years now, but with a new bike on the horizon I'm thinking about mixing it up a little and want to explore my options. It's not that I've been unhappy with my SRAM setup but I'd prefer to leave it on my p3 as I'll be converting it to a road bike so might as well upgrade if possible. Lets assume electronic is out of my budget.

As far as I see it I have 3 main options:

1. Sram Force 1 rear derailleur with r2c shifter (pros: never dropped a chain in 2 years, r2c. cons: big RD, maybe some watts lost with clutch?)

2. Sram Red 22 rear derailleur with r2c shifter (pros: smaller aero profile, r2c, lighter. cons: higher potential for dropped chain?)

3. Shimano RX800 rear derailleur with standard shifter (pros: looks the best IMO, relatively cheap cons: standard non r2c shifters)

Chainrings will of course depend on the crankarms but I will 100% be running narrow wide.

Am I overlooking an option here? I'll likely mostly be running 11-28 with the occasional 11-32 so all these RD's support the 32.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 17, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about dropping a chain if you use a NW chainring. I used a force derailleur on a gravel bike as a 1x, with a nw chainring, no clutch and rode singletrack on it and never dropped a chain. May as well cut your chain on the short side.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a Rival 1X Crank and mid-cage clutch RD. Sram TT900 shifter (10 speed). 50T & 11-36 cassette.

Ideally...
SRAM AXS TT crank
New Blip box/shifters
Eagle RD

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree... however:
realbdeal wrote:
Lets assume electronic is out of my budget.

I'll edit the title.

Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 17, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a mechanical 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently on option 1. I might consider option 2 but there's really no reason for me to make the switch seeing that I own a force 1 derailleur. I'll take the added security of the clutch rear derailleur at the potential cost of 1-2 watts of extra frictional losses + aero losses + weight savings (?), because a dropped chain would cost me a lot more time than those small savings.

Option 3 is a no go for me. Once I tried the R2C shifters, there's no going back for me. I'll run R2C's as long as I'm on mechanical. I like to have the shifter in my hand, instead of grasping the bar itself. The consistent orientation of the R2C shifter makes a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a mechanical 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Am I overlooking an option here? I'll likely mostly be running 11-28 with the occasional 11-32 so all these RD's support the 32.

I'd look into mounting an MTB or flatbar shifter to the right extension. It would end up between the heal of your hands and between the bars, assuming your hands are close together. I haven't done this on the TT bike (have a DA shifter on a Jtek thumb shifter mount) but it seems like it should work well.

If your hands are far apart and you don't care about UCI reach, then mounting the shifter at the end of the extension is probably best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was SRAM 1x mechanical before I went eTap. I used the SL-500 shifters and a regular Force derailleur. A R2C would have been nice but I used what I had already and knew I wanted to go electronic eventually.

In terms of crank/rings, I just mounted one of the SRAM 1x rings on my Force cranks... started with a 50 and then went 54. The rings come with the shorter crank mounting bolts.

It worked well and no issues at all. Going 1x isn't super hard or $$ for the most part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my build yesterday: DA9100 RD, Rotor Flow crank, Wolf Tooth NW, 11-32 cassette
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a mechanical 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shifter?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace shifter
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to build a mechanical 1X triathlon drivetrain right now, what would it look like? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely like that set up a lot but it's hard for me to leave r2c. Did you consider the RX800 or just always planned on dura ace?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I considered it but already had the DA. ST convinced me that a clutch isn't needed in tri with NW, so I figured I might as well use what I have.

I prefer DA over R2c so I know what gear I'm in by feel, but if my preference was R2c then I'd go with the Red RD. If my chain drops in a race, then I'll consider a clutch.
Quote Reply