Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The issue is that MA's training approach doesn't really lend itself to tapering.//

Well tapering is not all physical, the mental aspect of it can be huge in some guys. At any rate, perhaps this is the future of swimming, being able to swim much closer to your potential 10 times a year, instead of just maybe two. If you are a professional making a living swimming every month, this might be the best method.. And his time in what amounted to a TT over a body length off the front, would have been fighting for the gold medal without the two best of all time. And he was obviously gassed and stretched after the race(as he should have been) but it just feels like he could get better at distance swimming. So all of that equals a guy with a great shot at olympic medals, today at least...

And about the USRPT and tapering, what if you wouldn't have gone any faster in a traditional buildup and taper at the end anyway, wouldn't you rather have swam fast all year too?? We really dont know their is a penalty for this program in the big meets, so to me, if there really is no penalty, I would absolutely rather swim fast all year...

Maybe, but even if tapering is mental then you need to have something to taper from. Like he said n his interview, right now he’s swimming 25’s and surfing.

Personally, I would hate USRPT. I’m at the point where I would rather enjoy training, I only swim a couple of meets per year so most of my time is spent training. I get my kicks out of inventlng new workouts, to be doing the same set if 25’s or 50’s every time would kill my motivation. I rarely repeat the same practice twice.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Read my post again.

I don't dispute that. But what's the point? Would you rather spend a whole season at 90% of your potential, or the majority of your season at 75% with one pop at 100%?

False dichotomy? It's baseless speculation to suggest he's leaving big-meet potential on the table by not embracing the traditional grind-and-taper training methodology.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And from across the pond... Adam Peaty is in action at the British Champs.

prelims of the 100 breast - 58.5 with a 26.90 split at the 50!! Apparently he's been working on his start.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
And from across the pond... Adam Peaty is in action at the British Champs.

prelims of the 100 breast - 58.5 with a 26.90 split at the 50!! Apparently he's been working on his start.

Pretty impressive finals swim, especially that first half. His 50 split would make him the 3rd best 50 breaststroker in history :o

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive finals swim, especially that first half. His 50 split would make him the 3rd best 50 breaststroker in history :o
Ya, but of course the first 50 from a 100 of the guy that dominates the distance, should be pretty fast. Without looking, I think Caleb went 23.3 or so for his 1st 50 when he when 50 flat, untappered and unshaved, in a meet where it was a lark event for him..That might put him in the running for top 3 fastest 50 breast guys too... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 NCAA D1 Swimming thread. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya, but of course the first 50 from a 100 of the guy that dominates the distance, should be pretty fast. Without looking, I think Caleb went 23.3 or so for his 1st 50 when he when 50 flat, untappered and unshaved, in a meet where it was a lark event for him..That might put him in the running for top 3 fastest 50 breast guys too... (-;

Short Course Yards, that race is well more than half underwaters which is where he excelled. I think he took 18 strokes for the entire 100 SCY. He'd probably be right around there for a total stroke count on a 50M LC. His on top of the water breaststroke speed isn't top-3-in-the-world good, and it shows when he goes Long Course. At the Richmond Pro, he went 28.03 and 27.99, finishing 4th in the final. He was 6 to 7 tenths of a second off his best 50 free and 50 fly times at that same meet, suggesting he's maybe a low 27 second 50LM breaststroker at best. BTW, he was 2.5 and 3 seconds slower than Michael "no endurance" Andrew on the breast leg of the 200 IM (prelims and finals).

Last edited by: gary p: Apr 16, 19 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short Course Yards, that race is well more than half underwaters which is where he excelled.//

Of course I know all of this, and I know he was swimming"through" this past meet. And yes, he is not a classic breastroker, but for an off event, I bet he could do very well in a shave and taper situation. Certainly in short course, but even in LCM might not be too bad, you still have a start there...I doubt(and hopefully) we never have to see him shaved and tapered for a breaststroke event, that would mean our guys really sucked..

You have to admit though, if it was a short course 50m we were talking about, he would be right there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small Dean Farris news: he is taking a year off at Harvard and training with Eddie down in Texas. Not a big surprise here...
Quote Reply

Prev Next