Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

2) You can do paced intervals without a watch. There are these things called running tracks. They are exactly 400m in the inside lane.....

It seems like you are suggesting that wanting to do paced intervals is not a valid reason to consider a watch since a 400m track serves the same purpose?
Some differences spring to mind....
  • A 400m track is only useful if you have one at your disposal.
  • A 400m track only works when you run on it.
  • A 400m track only works conveniently for intervals measured in distances that are multiples of 200m.
  • A 400m track is not generally portable.
Yes, you can use a measured track to do intervals if it's available and you're happy to do compatible intervals. But, it does not make a watch redundant.
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 935 (and previously a 735), and almost the exact opposite of your experience: The optical HR is fantastic, even better if I snug it up to my wrist. The instant pace for running is better than any device I've ever owned. GPS is always spot-on and never deviates from a few feet.

Maybe it's because of the metal casing on your Fenix? I hear it causes some issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
short answer is no, but there are two things i like to use mine for, first is being able to do intervals on the road or in the forest. Today I did some quarters on the road and just paced by feel, then when i download the file, if i care, i can see how my pace and hr was.

The other thing i like is being able to see the actual pace of a running race on a graph after the race and understand how my body reacted to the pace. We never had that before the gps watches.

i bought one called the 310xt, you can find refurbs for 80 bucks and it will read ant+ power meters on the bike too, it's a nice option.

But so is no watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only because I like looking at the data!
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
I'm gonna go the opposite direction of the above responses and say yes.

Like you, I took about 15 years off. Coming back has been... challenging...

Anyways, getting a watch so I could see my actual run pace allows me to do paced intervals that I could previously only do on a treadmill. Now, rather than just going out and running about a bit, I can go out and do proper paced intervals, or do negative split long runs, etc. Knowing my pace makes me more accountable and I'm more easily able to do the workouts my program calls for, and I have seen improvement.

It's helped me a lot on the running, but I come from a swim background, so maybe those who come from a run background it doesnt help as much..

Just N=1. Clearly it varies.

1) learn how to respond to the OP, not just the last comment in the thread. Your response is not to me, yet I receive a notification.

2) You can do paced intervals without a watch. There are these things called running tracks. They are exactly 400m in the inside lane.

3) Negative split long runs are only accurate if you are running a flat, windless out and back course.

1) I just hit reply to the bottom response. so sorry to inconvenience you by you receiving an email

2) In the US, those things called tracks are surrounded by these other things called fences, and access through those things called fences is controlled by these people called security guards.

3) negative split long runs are always accurate if you finish at a faster pace than you started, hence the term "negative split"
Quote Reply
Re: Has your GPS watch actually improved your running? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
I'm gonna go the opposite direction of the above responses and say yes.

Like you, I took about 15 years off. Coming back has been... challenging...

Anyways, getting a watch so I could see my actual run pace allows me to do paced intervals that I could previously only do on a treadmill. Now, rather than just going out and running about a bit, I can go out and do proper paced intervals, or do negative split long runs, etc. Knowing my pace makes me more accountable and I'm more easily able to do the workouts my program calls for, and I have seen improvement.

It's helped me a lot on the running, but I come from a swim background, so maybe those who come from a run background it doesnt help as much..

Just N=1. Clearly it varies.

1) learn how to respond to the OP, not just the last comment in the thread. Your response is not to me, yet I receive a notification.

2) You can do paced intervals without a watch. There are these things called running tracks. They are exactly 400m in the inside lane.

3) Negative split long runs are only accurate if you are running a flat, windless out and back course.

1) I just hit reply to the bottom response. so sorry to inconvenience you by you receiving an email

2) In the US, those things called tracks are surrounded by these other things called fences, and access through those things called fences is controlled by these people called security guards.

3) negative split long runs are always accurate if you finish at a faster pace than you started, hence the term "negative split"

1) Stop being so fucking lazy

2) Security guards on running tracks? What kind of dystopian society do you live in? Oh right... Murica.

3) I guess if you go by leg speed and not effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chill out man. Your initial reply was unnecessarily snarky and immature while providing nothing of substance to OP. Your second is doubling down on being a jerk with personal attacks while continuing to contribute nothing of value. Many tracks are inaccessible due to inside lanes being blocked off for public, closed during practices, or just closed in general. Super lame but the way it is. Hold on while I try to actually try to be helpful to the OP instead of just a troll.

I don't need a GPS watch but it does help me be a faster runner. While not perfect it is a good indicator of pace that I can use along with my intuition of conditions during tempos and efforts that are too long to do on a track. I still hit the track for any repeats 2000m or less because you can't beat it.

Secondly, it is an automatic journal of my training I can look back on at anytime with ease to inform my future training, improve confidence in current shape, etc.

Cost is about a pair of shoes now, just try it out and see if it's for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always nice to look back at what i was doing this time last year
Quote Reply

Prev Next