Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race?
Quote | Reply
For those who know St George 70.3...

The athlete guide from St George 70.3 states page 7:

Quote:
Athletes are encouraged to park in St. George and ride the shuttle buses to Sand Hollow Reservoir State Park. Shuttle buses will be staged on 200 West at Tabernacle. Spectators will NOT be allowed to ride the bus with athletes. Buses will take approximately 25-30 minutes to travel from St. George to Sand Hollow Reservoir, please plan accordingly. Athlete buses will operate from 4:30 AM to 5:30 AM.
[..]
Any athletes or spectators planning on parking near Sand Hollow State Park are advised to leave extra time to find a safe place to park if they are driving their personal vehicles.

Body marking in transition is from 500am to 630am and the race starts at 7am.
I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible on race day and wondering if I can just get my wife to drop me by car at around 6am in body marking rather than taking the shuttle?
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s exactly what I did for my Uncle and cousin who did the race last year. Worked well for them. Your wife will want to be there to watch anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race? [Bduke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bduke wrote:
Yeah that’s exactly what I did for my Uncle and cousin who did the race last year. Worked well for them. Your wife will want to be there to watch anyways.

she will want to watch if she can park at sandhollow - which i read has close to 0 spot for parking?
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just fyi, traffic getting into sand hollow is bad. If your wife wants to park, you're still gonna have to get there early. Dropping off only at 6 would work but I'd recommend having her drop you off outside the park entrance and walking in. It's not far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete drop off area is OUTSIDE the park and you will have to walk about 3/4 mile to the transition. The parking for spectators is about 1 mile from the park. Z
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are the camping type or have a camper, you can camp in Sand Hollow. That allows for the maximum amount of sleep. You just wake up and walk to transition. The bathroom facilities are nice and clean. Have showers too. Then your wife would have to drive into St. George to pick you up.

I'm not sure how fast it fills up. You have to get a permit in advance I think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, the shuttle runs like clockwork. I wouldn’t be surprised if every school bus in St.George is deployed. Drivers on the radio coordinating a traffic free long haul right into T1.

View the shuttle as part of your experience; soak up the atmosphere and get your mind ready to race.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious as to why you are concerned about sleep. I rarely sleep much the night before the race and, after 38 years of triathlon, have found a negative affect in my racing.
I have found the shuttle works well and that way my wife gets to sleep in. Not much to watch at the swim, but as mentioned she has seen 38 years of triathlons.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: St George 70.3 - Drive to the swim instead of taking the shuttle to the race? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I am curious as to why you are concerned about sleep. I rarely sleep much the night before the race and, after 38 years of triathlon, have found a negative affect in my racing.
I have found the shuttle works well and that way my wife gets to sleep in. Not much to watch at the swim, but as mentioned she has seen 38 years of triathlons.

I lied - its not about sleep (i cant sleep the night before the race) but actually the stress of not being able to poop on time before leaving the hotel on race day. Hence why im looking for plan Bs to leave later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I lied - its not about sleep (i cant sleep the night before the race) but actually the stress of not being able to poop on time before leaving the hotel on race day. Hence why im looking for plan Bs to leave later.

Last time I did SG, I hit the porta potty straight off the bus after arriving at the reservoir. No line at that point (there will be after transition starts to fill up, though). That worked well. There's also a number of porta potties on the other side of transition when you line up for the swim, with a more reasonable wait time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, I have that problem too.
Having dinners early the couple of nights before the race helps sometimes. St George is a beautiful race. Enjoy!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply