Quote | Reply
Jimocles wrote:
Still race on Zipp 440 Tubs,

Me too!
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That ride is beautiful mate!

I'm a sucker for old school rides with modern day twists. I love the old fashioned gear shifters - reminds me of my dad always.
He had a vintage Raleigh, that he passed down to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Jimocles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimocles wrote:
Still race on Zipp 440 Tubs,

I was about to say I have a set of 404/808 Tubulars circa 2002 (at least the 404....808 may be around 2005) that I still have, although I am not using race wheels at all since I am not racing at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2002 Colnago c50 is the road bike
2009 Giant Trinity tri bike

love em both!
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:

Sweet ride. And you gotta be one tall guy !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early 00s Zipp 900 disc.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1985 Peugeot Triathlon. Major components are all original and a mix of French parts.
A friend bought it new, rode it for 1 year, and then it sat in his garage for 30 years.
It took a lot of cleaning to make it look nice. Yellow saddle and tires are not original (obviously).

1989 Centurion "Dave Scott" Ironman. Major components are all original and mostly Suntour.
Bought it off of eBay. It was in near-mint condition and probably only ridden a year or two.
Re-did all the bearings and replaced the disposables (except chain and cassette were still unworn).
36-spoke wheels. Original tires were 700x18.

Last edited by: Bru: Apr 15, 19 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a few others said, I use an early 2000s computrainer. It still works really well! I tried a "modern" trainer w/ a lot of fancy stuff a few years ago, and the features were distracting.

Get off my lawn too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anecdotally, it is still the fastest bike for me - beating Felt IA1x and Cervelo NP3. That bike is a weapon.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My roadbike is 2009 Time frame. Still the most comfortable ride ever.
I have a P3SL... I sold that frame once because I hated the color, wisened up years later and bought another one... that thing is the most brilliant TT bike ever.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Softride Powerwing. Anyone got any 650c trispokes they don't want??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2016, I went back to using my 1990 Sampson Stratics pedals. They have a larger platform than my Speedplays and there was no "rock" when the cleats got worn. The mechanics at the 2016 70.3 Worlds (in Australia) all thought I had some new "prototype" pedals, because they had never seen anything like them.
I still use first generation HED aero bars, but I have PD arm cups instead of the original ones that had, like, 1/8 inch of rubber for the pads......
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bru wrote:

1985 Peugeot Triathlon. Major components are all original and a mix of French parts.

that's a fine old bike, lovely..
In June 1992 on vacation in Yellowstone, I backed into a tree in a snowstorm, bent the frame on the Schwinn Varsity. The bike shop in some small Montana town had a Schwinn Continental and also a Peugeot, really really wanted the Peugeot but it didn't fit..

all my gear is old..
7-speed Paramount PDG steel with downtube shifters, original equipment except for chain, rear cassette, and derailleur. The derailleur lost a rivet while I was just riding along, turns out they don't last forever.
8-speed frankenbike on Trek 2500 alu, this has the single-pivot rim brakes from my first race bike from the 80s. Still stops just fine..
9-speed (woot!) on the Cervelo Dual 2005 frame, late 90s Hed Jet rear, newest wheel I own, 2000s Bontrager Aeolus to replace a Zipp 440 that the TSA repacked badly.

swim fins, still use Italian scuba fins from the late 70s for kick sets..
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [sholdowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember spengle made some cool 650c trispokes around about that time... Maybe that broadens your net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My primary outside road bike is a Cannondale CAAD3 ('the best bike, eh?', Mario Cipollini) from about 1999. My trainer bike is a Cannondale SR500, from about 1987. The trainer bike still uses nearly original Time pedals - two piece cleats. I can't bear to get rid of a Specialized Allez - a steel frame that I rode in France post-honeymoon (thanks, sweetheart). At least that is 7 speed, retrofitted with a triple (French cols, ya know). The SR500 has the original 6 speed Biopace transmission. My fleet is practically a museum! (OK, I race on a pretty modern QR CD0.1 - a guy has to know where to spend a few $).
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sam and DSW!
I'm 6'1". I was also able to use an old school seat clamp, to put the seat far enough forward, to copy my race bike set-up to my old road bike. I can also add that my race bike is a 2009 Cervelo P1 dinosaur. The Flos are a Craigslist find. Good enough for me. I even retro fitted it with drop bars. As an old school rider, I just couldn't live without my drops.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheels. I still use wheels. 5000 year old concept still going strong :-P
Quote Reply

Prev Next