Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Tri - Does Bike Fit?
Quote | Reply
Hi All:

I am looking at buying my first Tri bike. I currently ride a 56cm in road bike (specialized roubaix). I'm 5'11.5" with an inseam of 34".

The bike shop I went into said you should go one size down for a Tri bike and recommended a 54cm Cervelo P2.

They didn't have a 56 in stock which made me a little suspicious of the recommendation . Anyways, could you look at the attached picture and

tell me if this fit looks like I'm in the ballpark, or is the frame too small?

Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [Luciddiscord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure some of the fitters will chime in here, but for what it’s worth I’m your height with a shorter inseam and am fit to a 56 cervelo (road, and the tri p- line). I don’t think anyone fits with the “one size down” mentality anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too small
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noooooo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITs hard to tell

But it does look like you could benefit from stretching farther out. That could be from moving seat backwards, or front forward (longer frame, stem, bars?)

From the one image tho I can’t tell

I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using a rule of thumb like "size down for a tri bike" is wrong.

Go get a proper fitting first, get your Pad Stack and Reach, then work backwards to a bike with the numbers. Actually, start with the saddle then work your way out to the pads, but....

If the shop does not know what Pad S/R is, run away.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. So this is a different shop and a 56 cm P2. Guy says it fits me perfectly...

What do y'all think?
Last edited by: Luciddiscord: Apr 14, 19 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better.
Did he do a FIST protocol? I mean, a Fitting should entail shoes/pedals, shorts, etc. Even for a 'prefitting', following a protocol because who knows you could really be a 58. Or maybe a 56 in a different brand. How did they help you come up with this position? What is your Pad Stack and Reach? What is your saddle X/Y? Without numbers who knows. 58/56 are meaningless. Gimme them X/Y's!

I could fit on a 56 too, I'm only 5'2". I"m stretchy...I even confounded Dan at FIST with an off the charts position.

No guessing after the fact of if that is the correct saddle, or if you need risers under the armpads.

and, did you wear the same shirt both days?!?!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
Using a rule of thumb like "size down for a tri bike" is wrong.

Go get a proper fitting first, get your Pad Stack and Reach, then work backwards to a bike with the numbers. Actually, start with the saddle then work your way out to the pads, but....

If the shop does not know what Pad S/R is, run away.

This^^^^

I always get fit on a fit bike....then determine the right size/setup for the actual bike.

On the 54 vs. 56 they have you in two different positions, so it's not apples to apples. IMO the position on the 56 is better (pivoted forward, less bunched), but that's the position, not the frame. For a fit bring your own pedals and shoes and have them put those on.

FWIW, frame sizes mean very little (esp. on tri bikes). Stack/Reach are what matters.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
Better.
Did he do a FIST protocol? I mean, a Fitting should entail shoes/pedals, shorts, etc. Even for a 'prefitting', following a protocol because who knows you could really be a 58. Or maybe a 56 in a different brand. How did they help you come up with this position? What is your Pad Stack and Reach? What is your saddle X/Y? Without numbers who knows. 58/56 are meaningless. Gimme them X/Y's!

I could fit on a 56 too, I'm only 5'2". I"m stretchy...I even confounded Dan at FIST with an off the charts position.

No guessing after the fact of if that is the correct saddle, or if you need risers under the armpads.

and, did you wear the same shirt both days?!?!

^^^^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commented "across the hall", but it's funny that this second pic is basically doing just what I suggested over there. You're still looking at the front hub, though. Either frame will work for you, it's the position that matters. Set up both sizes to this configuration and take them on the road and see which one handles more to your liking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments brider. I wish I would have had him adjust the front end on the 54 so it would have been a better comparison.

The 54 felt really good on the trainer. The 56 felt kinda long but consensus so far is that is the correct size for me.

I realize the common response on here is gonna be get a fit first, but after having 2 road fits that gave me drastically different positions , I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole bike fitting Industry.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next size up, you are still struggling for length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised by the saddle location on the 56. Its very unusually to have an ISM saddle slammed far forward on the rails especially on a zero offset seat post. I can't tell for sure on the other bike but it from the back of the saddle it looks to be in a far more normal position. Getting this sorted is critical and its hard to tell anything about reach until you are sitting the saddle properly.

If the saddle is well and truly in the correct position for you on the 56 it suggests the frame is a bit large for you. In effect you will be riding very far forward of the rear wheel and this will effect handling no matter what you do with the front end. However I am struggling to believe the saddle position is correct given the apparent differences between the location on the two bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luciddiscord wrote:
I realize the common response on here is gonna be get a fit first, but after having 2 road fits that gave me drastically different positions , I'm kinda disillusioned with the whole bike fitting Industry.

I hear you in that. I think the best thing to do is not just find a fitter, but find a fitter that is not associated with any shop. Search extensively for reviews here, reviews online. Where are you located?

Quote | Reply
I'm going to be a bit unorthodox here, but below are the questions I'd be asking myself if I'm sitting on a new bike:
- Am I comfortable? Forget about the stack/reach/centimetres/technical stuff for a moment. Are you relaxed in the position on the bike?
- Can I run off this bike?
- It's easier to make a slightly small frame bigger than it is to make a big frame slightly smaller. Is there room to tweak this bike?

We can all tell you how you look, but how you feel on the bike is the only question that counts.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Atlanta. Will probably go to Matt Cole/podium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are set up on them the same so the photos look the same from seat to eblows. both work for your size just change stem length /seat ht or aero risers ht.

the 56 must have the seat more forward or you are sitting on it like that compared to the 54. your head is in the same position over bars.

that said look at your shoulder blades on the 54 is is to low for you having to reach so you need to lift the elbow pads or else you will do less comfortable over time.

Side note bike shops sell what they have to get rid of not what you need some times. That's a hint at what to do.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, I am 5’11 and ride a Specialized Roubaix 56!
I was also going to buy a 54 cm P3 but I was fitted on a 56 cm P3 because I am not so flexible and the head tube of the 54 is shorter than the 56, only tweak was to have a shorter stem ( i believe it is a 80 mm).Sor for me the 56 Fits very well and I can stay much longer on the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri - Does Bike Fit? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
Hello, I am 5’11 and ride a Specialized Roubaix 56!
I was also going to buy a 54 cm P3 but I was fitted on a 56 cm P3 because I am not so flexible and the head tube of the 54 is shorter than the 56, only tweak was to have a shorter stem ( i believe it is a 80 mm).Sor for me the 56 Fits very well and I can stay much longer on the aerobars.
Your flexibility has nothing to do with the size bike you should be riding. Its nonsense riders and bad fitters use to justify inferior positions.

Here is an incomplete list of things bad fitters say to baffle their clients with bulls***:
  • Good flexibility is required to hold a "pro" position.
  • We adjusted X in order to improve muscle recruitment/glute activation/blah blah.
  • The goal of the fit is to maximize power.
  • This bike is a perfect fit for you (yet there are 40+ mm of spacers being used).

If your fitter says things like this, run away quickly.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply