Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [HappyWeirdo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HappyWeirdo wrote:
Which one is more Aero? P3x or P5D and how much?

We don't have any direct comparison data and we're really getting down to splitting hairs between these bikes. So there is no definitive answer without taking one of each and setting them up the way you would race then testing.

The table below shows a 5hr rider at IMNZ across the last 8 editions of the race. Time difference shown in seconds. A negative number means that the 2nd bike is faster.

The comparisons are all based on Cervelo data, except for the last column which is from Tour Magazin.
Light and Heavy refer to nutrition configuration.

So if we were to try to draw conclusions:
P5D slightly slower than the P5, depending on conditions
P3X definitely slower than P5X when fully loaded, pretty close if you strip it down
P5X faster than P5 if carrying the Kitchen sink
P5 much faster than P5X if running it clean (note that the Tour testing uses pedalling legs with no torso, compared to Cervelo using a static full mannequin)

For interest, P3X light vs P5X Heavy

Showing once again that carrying less stuff is 2-3mins faster and you can't buy your way out of that problem.

As mentioned - no definitive answer to your question. It seems likely that in the stripped down scenario the P5D would have an advantage over the P3X but that would narrow considerably once you're carrying stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Could you just clarify what the "light" and "heavy" configurations are?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Interesting. Could you just clarify what the "light" and "heavy" configurations are?

That wasn't clear. Aerogeeks said that light might have been one bottle and heavy more bottles (so I added 1.5kg in the modelling)
For P5X vs P5 heavy was the overloaded config they had observed at IM races. Light was Tour mag testing with no bottles or storage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies if I missed it earlier but why should the P3x 'heavy' differ from the P5x 'heavy'? I thought they had the same bottle mounting options and obviously everything else is internally stored? I'd be staggered if there was that much difference between the frames in frame to bottle interaction...!

Also do the numbers imply that some years a fully laden P5 would actually be faster than a fully laden P3x or am I misinterpreting?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Polo_1272] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polo_1272 wrote:
Apologies if I missed it earlier but why should the P3x 'heavy' differ from the P5x 'heavy'? I thought they had the same bottle mounting options and obviously everything else is internally stored? I'd be staggered if there was that much difference between the frames in frame to bottle interaction...!

Hard to know without knowing exactly what heavy means. Maybe an extra external bag was added to the P3X to give equivalent carrying to the downtube storage on the P5X.

Quote:
Also do the numbers imply that some years a fully laden P5 would actually be faster than a fully laden P3x or am I misinterpreting?

It looks like it would be pretty marginal between P5 loaded down and a P3X. But that would be a silly way to use a P5 - definitely get a P3X if you want to do that. Otherwise strip down the P5 and have a faster bike. We can't say anything definite based on looking at separate tests side by side, but there is a strong implication that optimised setups for each disc bike are all very close to each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
But that would be a silly way to use a P5 - definitely get a P3X if you want to do that.

Completely agree, just curious about the hypothetical situation! Thanks for clarifying, it's certainly interesting that it's all so marginal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
HappyWeirdo wrote:
Which one is more Aero? P3x or P5D and how much?

We don't have any direct comparison data and we're really getting down to splitting hairs between these bikes. So there is no definitive answer without taking one of each and setting them up the way you would race then testing.

The table below shows a 5hr rider at IMNZ across the last 8 editions of the race. Time difference shown in seconds. A negative number means that the 2nd bike is faster.

The comparisons are all based on Cervelo data, except for the last column which is from Tour Magazin.
Light and Heavy refer to nutrition configuration.

So if we were to try to draw conclusions:
P5D slightly slower than the P5, depending on conditions
P3X definitely slower than P5X when fully loaded, pretty close if you strip it down
P5X faster than P5 if carrying the Kitchen sink
P5 much faster than P5X if running it clean (note that the Tour testing uses pedalling legs with no torso, compared to Cervelo using a static full mannequin)

For interest, P3X light vs P5X Heavy

Showing once again that carrying less stuff is 2-3mins faster and you can't buy your way out of that problem.

As mentioned - no definitive answer to your question. It seems likely that in the stripped down scenario the P5D would have an advantage over the P3X but that would narrow considerably once you're carrying stuff.

Thatā€™s Great! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [matt_aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt-aus ā€“ Do you have a guess on how much faster the P5D is than your 2009 P3 (assume the wheels were the same since they make a big difference)? I have a 2007 P3 (same mold as 2009) and have been looking at getting the P5D, but questioning how much faster I will really be. I would be really pissed if I wasnā€™t faster or possibly slower on a very expensive bike. Itā€™s easy to say the newer bike will be faster, but damn if my old P3 is not light and aero.

I did notice the issue with the barfly and I already have a solution. Iā€™m planning on getting rubber washers that are Ā½ā€ to 1ā€ thick and longer screws. This will drop the barfly down an inch.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowman,

the P5d is ordered. blue/coral/black frame, Sram AXS, etc. talk to me about wheels and tires . . . believe it or not i am still on tubies w/ no complaints. I assume, like old girlfriends, it is time to move on. what about tubeless . . . is that jump ready to be made? i tentatively plan on Zipp 808 + disc.

thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
slowman,

the P5d is ordered. blue/coral/black frame, Sram AXS, etc. talk to me about wheels and tires . . . believe it or not i am still on tubies w/ no complaints. I assume, like old girlfriends, it is time to move on. what about tubeless . . . is that jump ready to be made? i tentatively plan on Zipp 808 + disc.

thanks,

Congrats on the new bike David. I just got my Parlee TTiR a month ago with zipp firecrest 808s and conti gp5000 tires, Iā€™m running with tubes though. But love the wheels and the bike.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he may have meant running tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yann knows me well and interpreted properly :-)!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Yann knows me well and interpreted properly :-)!

Thatā€™s scary, given that weā€™ve never met. šŸ˜€but yes, I knew what you meant and you knew what I meant.

For the others, I meant to say that I run clinchers.

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
slowman,

thanks,[/quote]

Pictures please ...... :)

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [caodecaca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as I have it!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David - I am thinking of same or similar config (1x AXS) - 858 instead of 808?
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [semadeni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just decided ( and ordered yesterday) an 858 front. AXS 2x is on its way. Iā€™m not in a real hurry. It may be several weeks before everything shows up and is assembled. This should be fun!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on order and have SRAM AXS and Enve 7/8s waiting along with SRM pedals for power....now I am just waiting on Cervelo....this reminds me of when I ordered my first P5...waited for nearly 7 months to get it then.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unlike the first p5's though, these exist. We've had inventory and sold them, here in the UK

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point - I won't hold my breath. I'm excited, but my P5 will do until it comes in.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello.
Finally I ordered the new P5D but the "low Cost version" (with Ultegra Di2), because i want to make some updates.
I want a new wheels, but i am very confused.
Assuming that the price is not a problem, i have the following options:

1- Enve 5.6 SES (original set of Dura Ace version)
2- Zipp 404 NSW / 808 NSW
3- Zipp 454 NSW / 854 NSW

I have to buy one Disc to put one back wheel too.

(the third option is the most expensive, but were wonderful aggressive)
More options are welcome, like DT SWISS, ....

Cervelo P5d and R5 Owner

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think twice about the srm pedals. Never expected that 2 great companies could produce such a product....way too expensive and complicated to set up. They did a great job of making something ā€˜simpleā€™ very complicated. And simple is a set of faveroā€™s.

But the bike is fantastic!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New 2019 Cervelo P5 Disc Brake [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have them set up with no issues and they work brilliantly (have them on a bike with a normal SRM to test)...

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next