Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
Travel is probably easier also.

That's certainly true for the US and South American athletes but there are quite a few Euro's on the start list as well. I'm not sure what the travel logistics are like to Australia compared to the US for a Euro athlete.

Texas from Europe is easier....also 7 hour time zone moving west (sleep in before your big race)....vs 6ish time zone going east and a much longer flight...and you are doing the start of the race in the middle of your REM sleep which just sucks if you are trying to do pro level performance. Texas from Europe is a much better "in and out" performance oriented trip. If you go to Aus from Europe, then may as well spend a longer time there to get the body adjusted, but time away from home costs $$$ and $$$ is what pro triathletes don't generally have!
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
... or it could be that there are 3 (and possibly 4) times as many Kona slots on offer at Texas compared to Australia.

Texas has 2 male slots plus 2 "floating" slots (at least one of which will go to the men).

Australia has 1 male slot and no "floating" slots.

Nearly quadruple the prize money doesn't hurt either.

https://www.trirating.com/kona-2019/
Without doing the research myself where did you come up with those figures for slots? It was my understanding that Cairns is an Oceanian championship and had the extra slots?
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
logella wrote:
... or it could be that there are 3 (and possibly 4) times as many Kona slots on offer at Texas compared to Australia.

Texas has 2 male slots plus 2 "floating" slots (at least one of which will go to the men).

Australia has 1 male slot and no "floating" slots.

Nearly quadruple the prize money doesn't hurt either.

https://www.trirating.com/kona-2019/
Without doing the research myself where did you come up with those figures for slots? It was my understanding that Cairns is an Oceanian championship and had the extra slots?

IM Australia and IM Cairns are two completely different races.

Australia only has 1 slot for male and female. Cairns has the same slots as Texas but is a month later.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s in the link I provided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Hence it seems that these guys are after the big money at Texas rather than the absolutely disgraceful money at ironman Australia.

For many pros, chasing kona is a horrible business decision. Maybe more are realizing that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots.

Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
PJC wrote:
Hence it seems that these guys are after the big money at Texas rather than the absolutely disgraceful money at ironman Australia.

For many pros, chasing kona is a horrible business decision. Maybe more are realizing that?

I agree it can be. But it is als9 a good window for potential new sponsors etc.
I get the whole pros need money to stay pros etc. But we are in a sport where there is very little money, so teying to get rich off tri seems impossible, so it shouæd be all about getting a wc before retiring. But yes, for up amd comming/people who know they cant make it into the money in hawaii it can make sense to skip.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
PJC wrote:
He would however win Ironman Australia. That start list is basically all B level professionals whereas Lionel is a A level professional.

If you consider a recent 70.3 World champion a B level pro (at Ironman) then I agree with you.
In an interview with former world champ he said his 3 kids have made training difficult.
Either way Lionel would beat him over an Ironman.

Re Lionel at Texas the bike is easy and fast. He needs to go to a harder bike course to make more time up.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree it should be all about kona. I think it should only be about kona for like 10 men and a few women. Most of the kona field has no shot of winning kona. And getting 15-20 does very little for sponsorships. Also keep in mind that many pros get no actual funding from sponsors. Simply gear.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sciatic: I’m no doctor but did have sciatic issues and it was a good 3 months before I was back to normal. And that was after I tried to “fix it” and still maintain fitness. Unfortunately for me I found you can’t do both. I couldn’t really do anything but the exercises for it and stop the running on it. If I tried running it just remained a serious issue (weird issue too, as it is 1/4 pain, 1/4 weird feeling, and 1/2 my leg not working right). As hard as LS goes he might have really dug a deep hole on this. I’d guess he’ll “push through” when it feels a little bit better, but then will shit it down to fix it. It really is a debilitating injury.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or at IMTx just podium.

I am wondering if slots roll down like they do in the age group race. Weiss, Hanson, Starky have already qualified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God I hope they are!!
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Or at IMTx just podium.

I am wondering if slots roll down like they do in the age group race. Weiss, Hanson, Starky have already qualified.

Yes they roll.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this Ironman #3 so far this season for Weiss?

I’m looking forward to seeing how Mendez-Cruz does. Just 23 years young. Anyone know what happened to him in Cozumel? First out of of the water and was still in the top 10 for the first few miles of the run but then dnf’d.

Should be an interesting race. Lots of evenly matched guys.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the start list was posted, certainly not stacked but Tim Reed vs. Cam Wurf makes it interesting, the other guys on the list probably don't have a shot unless both have a bad day. This is to say, you cried too soon, there will be a race.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next