Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your best "old technology" that you still use
Quote | Reply
I'm always on the lookout for cheap stuff, whether I need it or not, when I visit bike shops. I like being a dumpster diver and searching for treasure in the discount bins because under all that dust can be something really neat.

For example, a couple of years ago Nytro was clearing out aerobar pads for discontinued aerobars. Ten bucks a pair! Score!

More recently, I was at the Bike Barn in Penticton. I scored a set of Syntace C-3 bars for 30 bucks (sans pads, but whatever).

After I got home I slapped them on my road bike. The next day I took it on a ride. Waaaaay more comfortable than the front end of my QR Cd 0.1 with the Vision Tech that I had fitted last spring bu Jonny O.

Those 30 buck bars are now going on the QR!

Here's the question!

What piece of "vintage" equipment/technology/clothing are you still using, or have gone back to using?

What tri-gadget has stood the test of time for you?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cables for shifting :)

Sorry, just bumping your post to the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2001 Litespeed Ultimate. Spent a hour aboard her this a.m. in fact. Over the years, it's been upgraded - stripped to the frame a few years back, replaced some of the decals that were looking rough and rebuilt with used 10-speed components that I mostly bought from the Classifieds here. The only original components remaining are the Dura-Ace brake calipers and the Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. She's done it all - centuries, tri's, El Tour of Tuscon, the aptly named Horribly Hilly Hundreds 200K, and still looks and rides fabulously.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is "old" but Edge 500. Rock solid for countless years. No touch screen or wifi sync but gets the job done.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you qualify as old but I have pair of ultegra pedals that I have never seen the need to replace. I bought them many years ago on sale when Shimano was releasing a 'new generation' of Ultegra pedals but they have never become outdated in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2009 cervelo P4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use an old Garmin Edge 500. It does everything I want except for wifi upload and it's just not worth it to me to spend several hundred dollars for a single feature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a running track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mid '90's Specialized tri-spokes.

2003 Cervelo P2K w/ ultegra 9s

Swedish goggles (they aren't the same pair, but I've been using that style forever. Actually going to see if I can pick up a blue pair now, my smoke ones are a bit too dark for the pool).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay pedals from 1996 with probably well > 100,000 miles on them
Scott Plasma 3 premium frameset

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wired DA-SRM with PCV.......rock solid on the winter bike.

It also lacks WIFI upload capabilities...... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca pump from the 70's.
P3sl
Soloist
Trispoke
DA7800 kit

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin 800.

I still have and ride my Specialized Hard Rock from 1993.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 Computrainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of 26" wheeled mountain bikes. Inc a 1990s Kona Cindercone hardtail. Took it out a couple of weeks ago. Still only limited by the pilot.

Triple chainsets. YEAH.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
2009 cervelo P4
Same.

I know we have a few guys on ST still riding the old Zipp bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale 3.0 frame with 6 speed Shimano 600 drivetrain and friction bar end shifters on a Computrainer Lab.
Prior to the Computrainer it was used on an old Kreitler roller set with a Killer Headwind fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About the only "new" tech that I have is my Garmin 920.

2005 P3-SL (yes, I know the year is redundant)
2003 wired PowerTap hub
1995 Cdale SR900 (8-speed STI was all the rage!)
2001 Keywin CRM pedals (just scored a second set used of eBay)
199x Numerous jerseys from 199x onwards. Bike shorts have long since worn out...but, the jerseys still work just fine (some of the elastic may have lost its stretch though).
2000 1up USA trainer
199x performance Bike large diameter rollers
199x Cool Tool (don't recall if I got this before or after the transition to Gerber)
199x Almost all my bike tools are circa mid-1990s, and still going strong; including my Professional Truing stand, and work stand.
-------Conversly, I was given a nice new Park Tool chain rivet tool for xmas. I've alwys used my mini-tool, and wanted a nice large one for my home tool box. The cast handle broke the first time I used it on a new chain.

xxxx I also still have my Polar S710 (not the 710i, or the 720) in the oringal box. I don't recall the year, but I was on the original waiting list. So, whatever year it was first released. But, I don't use that anymore. Nevertheless, it still works...I replaced the watch battery and T61 strap battery 2 years ago. The hard part was finding win10 drivers for the irDA downloader.

198x I probably stil have tshirts left from high-school.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Apr 12, 19 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Depends on what you qualify as old but I have pair of ultegra pedals that I have never seen the need to replace. I bought them many years ago on sale when Shimano was releasing a 'new generation' of Ultegra pedals but they have never become outdated in my mind.

Most of my bikes are still set up with Shimano 7401 and 6401 pedals that I've had since the late '80s. Still my all-time favorite pedals...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x 3 = on the Cervelo P3-SL.

That was the last bike I ever bought - got it used in 2016 (size 54). 600. CANADIAN!

The only bike that I have ever owned that had Dura Ace on it.

Sort of bought it to console me after I had my aluminum Soloist stolen in Vegas.

I wonder just "how slow" that P3-SL is, as compared to some of today's more moderately priced tri bikes.

Anyone know?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikes with rim brakes and rim brake wheels.

* dangit Tom! Beat me by 4 minutes.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Apr 12, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
x 3 = on the Cervelo P3-SL.

That was the last bike I ever bought - got it used in 2016 (size 54). 600. CANADIAN!

The only bike that I have ever owned that had Dura Ace on it.

Sort of bought it to console me after I had my aluminum Soloist stolen in Vegas.

I wonder just "how slow" that P3-SL is, as compared to some of today's more moderately priced tri bikes.

Anyone know?

All I can say that my CdA (measured using VE) is 0.22x with Ozero base bar, and T2+ clip ons (low end). That's good enough for 25+ mph at 210 watts.

Btw, the P3-SL came in odd numbered sizes, so that's either a 53 or a 55. I bought mine used last year for $600 US (size 55).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman Watch
2009 Cervelo P4
2001 Cervelo P2k
Lotus 110

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Apr 12, 19 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
What piece of "vintage" equipment/technology/clothing are you still using, or have gone back to using?

What tri-gadget has stood the test of time for you?

I have an old Trek hybrid (2003, I think) that I use when it's bad weather or I just feel like changing things up training wise. It's pretty darn heavy and bombproof - bought it from a guy who gave up commuting with it after he got hi by a car on that bike. I had to replace the front wheel and replace tires, but I have ridden it on and off for ten years.

In the pool, the single best piece of equipment (other than goggles, of course) I have are ankle bands.
Quote Reply

Prev Next