Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx
Quote | Reply
Looking at this men’s field for ironman Texas it is stacked. https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=isyzhuz9o6h3

Yet Ironman Australia the same weekend or weekend after has no starts at all. It would be an easy kona qualify for some guys in the Texas start list.

Hence it seems that these guys are after the big money at Texas rather than the absolutely disgraceful money at ironman Australia.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone’s gotta eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... or it could be that there are 3 (and possibly 4) times as many Kona slots on offer at Texas compared to Australia.

Texas has 2 male slots plus 2 "floating" slots (at least one of which will go to the men).

Australia has 1 male slot and no "floating" slots.

Nearly quadruple the prize money doesn't hurt either.

https://www.trirating.com/kona-2019/
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travel is probably easier also.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Travel is probably easier also.

That's certainly true for the US and South American athletes but there are quite a few Euro's on the start list as well. I'm not sure what the travel logistics are like to Australia compared to the US for a Euro athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
There are quite a few Euro's on the start list as well. I'm not sure what the travel logistics are like to Australia compared to the US for a Euro athlete.

Twice as expensive, and nearly twice as long to get there.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2, my guess is that getting to Kona is less of a crap shoot at IM Texas. Frankly the smaller the race, the smaller the field, you never know what is going to happen. You put all your eggs in one basket and someone better shows up and you are hosed. Both systems (Kona slots at races vs KPR) have their strengths and weaknesses.

What is interesting is that Starky is #40 which means he was either a very late entry, or somehow he was overlooked.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Apr 11, 19 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If IM isn't covering travel costs to OZ, you have to place top four (or higher) to cover costs from anywhere but OZ/NZ/Asia. Makes sense to have lower travel cost and higher upside.

I'm surprised you think the Texas field is stacked. Who do you think has a legit chance to ever place top five at Worlds? I see one guy who could do it.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I Lionel was racing it, but I don't see his name there...
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brad Culp said on twitter he is out...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's crazy. I did not see that coming, as I honestly didn't think he was injured that badly and missed Oceanside to be cautious for IMTX. I wonder if he's going to have to race more IMs now to get points? This could be interesting...
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised you think the Texas field is stacked. //

I agree, it is a large field, but stacked? There are a couple guys that have a shot at top 10 in Kona, and unfortunately for them, they probably aren't the ones going to do well here at TX. Starky seems to be on good form, but he will need the weather to cooperate for him to last 8 hours and hold off a bunch running low 2;40's. Sounds like there are going to at least make the bike course the legit distance, so he has that going for him...

Up until the past year or two, oceanside last week would have a field 3 times as "stacked".... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No points this year. Just gotta win
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, that's right! I guess that makes things a bit easier for him. Question is, will he "cherry pick" an easy one or try and run up against other top contenders to "test him self / make a statement".
I'm bummed he's not at IMTX... It's been a long time since he's raced, and I was looking forward to seeing how well he'd go.. Or blow up ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Most private races in Australia has very few international athletes unless they are doing their winter training there, I believe theres a 50% withholding tax on the prize, at least that was when I was told back when I was racing internationally, I´m not sure about the tax for locals. For the ITU events, athletes aren´t chasing the cash, but points, and the local federations usually pay for their expenses.

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
Most private races in Australia has very few international athletes unless they are doing their winter training there, I believe theres a 50% withholding tax on the prize, at least that was when I was told back when I was racing internationally, I´m not sure about the tax for locals. For the ITU events, athletes aren´t chasing the cash, but points, and the local federations usually pay for their expenses.

It’s not winter yet. And race day will be above 29c.

All winnings in Australia are Tax free.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Australia start list isn't finalized, more names could pop up.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because there's more slots at this race, maths not that hard.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: It seems pros are chasing money not kona spots. Imtx [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at all of Lionel's races over the last 3 years, he only races if he believes he will WIN.

I know all professionals have the goal to win but Lionel will only race if he is the favorite to win (other than Kona)

He wouldn't win IMTX

He would however win Ironman Australia. That start list is basically all B level professionals whereas Lionel is a A level professional.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easier timezone adjustment for Euros, going West takes like half the time to adjust
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't necessarily disagree but at the same time there is no reason he can't win IMTX. Lionel's engine on the bike is considerably larger than everyone else and theoretically there is no reason he can't run with the likes of Hanson/Lange. Regardless, I already saw this last year with a few pros sneaking into Kona already that maybe wouldn't have made it under the KPR system ironically enough. That means a few people who should be there are probably not going to make it. The time is ticking. Regardless, I still have no idea how serious the issue is. It was the sciatic nerve? If that really is true, who knows, something like that can be tricky.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
He would however win Ironman Australia. That start list is basically all B level professionals whereas Lionel is a A level professional.

If you consider a recent 70.3 World champion a B level pro (at Ironman) then I agree with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
vinnie wrote:

It’s not winter yet. And race day will be above 29c.

All winnings in Australia are Tax free.

I meant winter for European and American athletes.

Re Taxes - Im not expert on Oz laws, but I wouldnt be surprised if they hold 32.5% according to the below if you are a foreigner

https://www.ato.gov.au/...ntorsportsactivities

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Looking at this men’s field for ironman Texas it is stacked. https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=isyzhuz9o6h3

Yet Ironman Australia the same weekend or weekend after has no starts at all. It would be an easy kona qualify for some guys in the Texas start list.

Hence it seems that these guys are after the big money at Texas rather than the absolutely disgraceful money at ironman Australia.

What is unclear about the meaning of the word Professional?
Quote Reply

Prev Next