Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Flanders tire pressures
Quote | Reply
According to this article, many pros ran very high pressures in Flanders. The article claims Sagan at 105/109psi on 28s, van Aert at 97psi on 28s, Kristoff at 80/87 on 28s. Even without the cobbles I would think something like 70 would be better. With the cobbles I would guess <65. I'm stunned that some pros are doing this. I find myself in such disbelief that I'm wondering if the article is just making stuff up? Anyone have any insights?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Kristoff at 80/87 on 28s.

And those are clinchers. He runs 7psi more when he uses tubulars.

Maybe they don't like the squirmy feel of big tires and low pressure?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
lanierb wrote:
Kristoff at 80/87 on 28s.

And those are clinchers. He runs 7psi more when he uses tubulars.

Maybe they don't like the squirmy feel of big tires and low pressure?

He ran vittoria tubeless.

Most others likely trying to prevent the snake bite flat on tubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if any of these teams are working with Silca? I know EF is. It would be interesting to see what they ran,
Last edited by: asgelle: Apr 8, 19 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobbles are pinch-flat minefields. Even with tubulars. Unless your name starts with Mathieu or ends with Poel, a flat is pretty much game over in the latter half of the race. So they're trying to avoid that.

Hit some of these edges at 30MPH and 60PSI....

Last edited by: trail: Apr 8, 19 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He ran tubeless - no pinch flats.

Even if there is some pinch flat risk, it would be very low on a 28, wouldn't it? Also you're burning so much extra energy at those pressures I feel like you might be better off taking that risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This gets interesting at about 1:30.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
According to this article, many pros ran very high pressures in Flanders. The article claims Sagan at 105/109psi on 28s, van Aert at 97psi on 28s, Kristoff at 80/87 on 28s. Even without the cobbles I would think something like 70 would be better. With the cobbles I would guess <65. I'm stunned that some pros are doing this. I find myself in such disbelief that I'm wondering if the article is just making stuff up? Anyone have any insights?

Why are you surprised? Have you been on some of the climbs and tested different wheel sets/pressures? There is a lot of riding between the climbs and many of them are smooth on the way down. I've only ridden the old course once and ran 25mm with normal pressures (about 100).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:

Nothing against VN, but I'm going to file this under stuff I read online which I don't believe. I listen to marginal gains podcast (it's awesome BTW if anyone reading doesn't). For pro teams to years and years behind the 8 ball in terms of tire pressure knowledge and tech, I just don't buy it.

My guess is the teams are playing shell games with one another. They have every reason to lie about that guys are running if they have gone to lengths to calculate the optimal pressure which they think gives a rider an advantage over the rest of the field.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This/\
We often do this on the cyclocross start line, just joking among friends of course but eventually we come across someone who heard us and is actually trying to ride 55 psi on a race course.

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the work that Joshatsilca did (when he was at Zipp??) and the extremely interesting articles that he wrote, I'd say those seem surprising. A quote from his articles, talking about Paris Roubaix:

"The 28mm tire in the low-mid 60psi range proved to be nearly 1km/hr faster than the 24mm tire with pressure in the mid 70 psi range (which is what is required to prevent bottoming the tire) when the data was normalized for rider power output."

If you haven't read the articles, they're fascinating:

Sorry - can't find part one
Part 2: https://silca.cc/...ures-are-everything#
Part 3: https://silca.cc/...t-created-the-future

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not super familiar with the Flanders cobbles, but my impression is that most of them are on steep climbs where there are slower speeds. Compare that to Roubaix where the cobbles are generally flat and pros will be hammering them at 30ish mph. I also get the impression that the certain sections of the Rouabix cobbles are just nastier than Flanders...but I could be wrong. Given those differences, I'm wondering if pros are willing to ride the Flanders cobbles with "normal" pressures to benefit on the smooth pavement while going much lower (and wider tires) for Roubaix.

There have been many reports for like the last 5 years of pros using 30+ mm tubulars at Roubaix with pressure under 60 psi. So I'm not totally sure this is just a "misinformation" game.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been running 28-32s on most all my bikes for the past ten years or so. I don't think it is very likely at pro riders weights to pinch flat a 28 tubular at 80-90psi. 32s at 75 psi seem pretty darn firm. I am 100kg and have never pinched a 28 clincher at 75 psi with some pretty big hits. I sort of grain of salt those numbers, but if that is what they ride that is what they ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was there a vid or link that didnt come thru?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That whole article was bullshit.

No way they ride pressures that high.

They didn't even get details right. Some of the tires were clearly marked 25C and they identified them as 28's.
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny enough, I'm here in Lokeren right now with the teams working on this for both races.

What I know for sure is that all the teams are bullshitting to the media (and each other) about pressures and I'm strictly forbidden from discussing numbers between teams in any detail but can tell you first hand that those numbers are not right. We work with EF and Bora officially and a few other teams unofficially and I'm unaware of anybody running 100+ on 28's.. though it wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller teams are doing stuff like that, I find all sorts of crazy stuff happening in the little teams ;-)

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Funny enough, I'm here in Lokeren right now with the teams working on this for both races.

What I know for sure is that all the teams are bullshitting to the media (and each other) about pressures and I'm strictly forbidden from discussing numbers between teams in any detail but can tell you first hand that those numbers are not right. We work with EF and Bora officially and a few other teams unofficially and I'm unaware of anybody running 100+ on 28's.. though it wouldn't surprise me if some of the smaller teams are doing stuff like that, I find all sorts of crazy stuff happening in the little teams ;-)

Nice web site and good luck but $450 for a track pump! Sorry but imho that all that is wrong with cycling. People spending too much on a product with no extra functionality or performance value.

Sorry to be an ass but I'm also sure that even smaller teams can ride pave and put air in/out of a tyres to optimize?
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
That whole article was bullshit.

No way they ride pressures that high.

They didn't even get details right. Some of the tires were clearly marked 25C and they identified them as 28's.

x2

no f'ing wright they were running 100 or so on 28s

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

you realize who you are talking to right?
Last edited by: buzz: Apr 10, 19 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

Honestly no idea and I don't wish to be an ass. After I looked at the web site it was the first I had heard of the products.

As said good luck to him but the products price point aren't for me

fyi I don't work in the bike industry but however, I know how to pump up a tyre from my track pump. I even managed to change some bits when it stopped working for about £4 without having to replace it. moneysupermarket.com!
Last edited by: newManUK: Apr 10, 19 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember that the pressure will drop significantly after 5-6hrs of racing and the changing weather conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silca products are premium and always worth the price.
Yup... some are just too expensive, but to each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
buzz wrote:

Honestly no idea and I don't wish to be an ass. After I looked at the web site it was the first I had heard of the products.

fyi I don't work in the bike industry but however, I know how to pump up a tyre from my track pump. I even managed to change some bits when it stopped working for about £4 without having to replace it. moneysupermarket.com!

Mr. Dennit, with all due respect, and remember I'm saying it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:

Cool, Silca's products are not for you. Don't buy them.

McLaren and Ferrari make expensive cars - their price point is likely not for you either. Does that fact that these companies make expensive products mean that you would dismiss the findings of their aerodynamicists and other engineers?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Flanders tire pressures [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct Ferraris aren't for me. I have cars from Zuffenhusen. Used to make the best cars in the world but now making rubbish 4X4 and reissuing. However that is a discussion for another forum
Quote Reply

Prev Next