Re: Tri Suits 2019 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
All suits using "boundary layer management" claims the same gains :

BioRacer
Castelli PR
Endura D2Z
Huub Anemoi

Then the question is : when will we have a real test (equivalent t "peak aero...") showing resulting CdA at different speed (because drag crisis above 40km/h is of little interest for me).

castelli PR is they say optimised for 45km/h which is well beyond my typical speeds... i haven't seen and actual watt saving figure but i expect some claims will be made when it gets released soon.

https://huubdesign.com/products/huub-anemoi-aero-triathlon-suit wrote:
Anemoi Watts & Time Saving
Ironman distance: @ 22mph = 7.5W - 350 seconds (just under 6 minutes)
Ironman distance: @ 18mph = 4W - 414 seconds (just under 7 minutes)
Olympic distance: @ 24mph = 5.7W - 83 seconds
Olympic distance: @ 20mph = 9.8W - 71 seconds
The Anemoi was compared to our best selling DS Long Course Tri Suit. Tests were done at a velocity range from 35kph to 55kph on seven different athletes (including Ali Brownlee, David McNamee, Harry Wiltshire and Dan Bigham). Aero benefits can and do vary across riders because of their body shape and position (in the region of ~30% variation), but 15w is an average that we’ve seen across every size, shape and speed of rider. We wanted to ensure this suit wasn’t just fast on our World and Olympic champions but was fast on every athlete.
so it seems as if the anemoi is optimised around 20mph which is sensible but i'm not sure where the 15W comes from! i'm guessing the 24mph figure is actually supposed to be 15.7 and the optimal speed is more around there which is still not unreasonable. figures seem off though as its down to 7.5w @22mph but back up to 9.8w @20mph... maybe testing in different positions relevant to the events or maybe we just shouldn't pay much attention to marketing "data"
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
I'll be racing for Kiwami this year too and I just got my Spider 2. I'm 5'11" and 155-158 and M fits perfectly. Yes, there's a drawstring but it's really unnecessary if your fit is good and if you untie the knot/loop it will just go inside the waist seam and you can forget about it - which is probably why you don't even know it exists :) It's not like your shorts are going to fall off or anything and if that's an issue for someone they are probably wearing the wrong size.

Well, the problem is not fits well, have to rely on draw string to keep in place, I had many brand cycling bib shorts as well as ironman suits, all fits me very well, but not spider.
I don't know spider 2, mine should be the lastest version of spide 1. And there is no way you could untie, put in and forget.

Both Castelli and Huub has nothing on your waist, so nothing you need to try to ignore.
You could see what's on your waist.

Last edited by: sleep: Mar 2, 19 22:53
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [sleep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you should have gone a size smaller?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That draw string is about 1-1.5" on my suit.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Got mine today (Kiwami racing team) and raced last year in the spider sleeved and sleeveless. This new S2 feels amazing. The storage area in the rear is perfect for food on the bike (sadly missing on S1) and the air mesh top has zero wrinkles in the shoulders. I was doing arm circles to feel the restriction in the sleeves for the swim and felt no restriction at all. Plus, I could feel the air moving through the mesh...hope this will mean a cool bike, and even better, cool run in the warmer races.

And black/ white silver looks fricking sweet.

Well done Kiwami

Any idea if the chamois has changed? I've been racing in a spider LD aero for the past couple seasons and I really like the fit, the feel of the suit, and the pockets, but I get more chaffed with the Kiwami chamois than in any other suit or shorts I've had. It's not an issue for short course, but gets a little uncomfortable racing halfs and has left me pretty chaffed in fulls and on long rides of 3-4+ hours.

I'm looking to get a new suit for this season and was considering suits from other makers, but the Spider 2 is looking pretty sweet and I know I like everything about it except for the chamois so now I'm back on the fence...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chamois looks the same...what are you using for lubricant? I use Bag Balm as it doesn't wash off the skin in the longer swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rub some body glide on the seams of the chamois, put a little Chamois Butt’r on top of that, and also body glide on me in the areas that tend to get chaffed.

I imagine the issue is that comfort and chaffing are all individual, and it’s probably some combination of me, the chamois, my saddle choice (ISM Attack), and my position. I’ve been willing to accept the amount of chaffing for a couple seasons. That said, I’m happy to pick up some Bag Balm and give it a try!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Looks like you should have gone a size smaller?

No, it is just not fit well. Top already quite tight.

In my opinion, it is caused by design, All bib or suits without drawstring actually rely on top to pull bottom half and hold it in place. Suit back is connected 100%, so won't be a problem. However if the front opening too big, the bottom half middle part will drop (law of gravity). If fit tighter, it could maybe hold, but not ideal. Huub resolve this by no front opening (one piece), Castelli resolve this by a small opening (roughly 1/3), Kiwami resolve this by large opening with a drawstring.

Any design has both pros and cons, large opening means easier to take on\off. However, to me, I always choose bib short and suit because of I hate drawstring so much, and I would trade the inconvenience with comfortable.

I am just so suprised no one mention this, I did my homework before pull the trigger, I hope that I could get to know this earlier which is the major reason I write this here hoping it could help others to know better about each design before purchase. For instance, I purchased Huub and chamois is too forward to my tastes, however I still keep it because I know this before purchase, and I know it won't be a deal breaker for me.
Last edited by: sleep: Mar 3, 19 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe just body type? I have worn a spider 1 and a LG m2 never had this issue at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Maybe just body type? I have worn a spider 1 and a LG m2 never had this issue at all.

^^ I think this must be the case. The other suits I have had I have never had that issue. Perhaps a change, but I just looked at my LD1 aero and no drawstring at all, so I'm still of the feeling he's confused. I have had some poor fitting suits, but not since I switched to Kiwami.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simple answer to this question: the model is a local athlete and a loyal customer. his built is "standard" so perfect for shoots.
now are we going to disqualify him because of the tats? we could but we overlook this. and hope you can as well.
it is in no way a statement from the company.
hope this clarifies the situation : )

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay on the answer...

No seams, thick, comfortable for 3-4h easy, no issues running (don't notice it).
Regarding customer service: it was a 10 in my case, sorry to hear from other people other things: for example: in Canary Islands tax is different from EU and they refunded quickly the difference / fit wise they also adviced me to go small due to KG and not cm's of fit.

I don't have any other long suits so can't tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having not actually seen the new suit yet, this video was shared by the designers.

https://www.facebook.com/...eos/373663576566773/

Some VERY cool new features, including individually customizable leg and arm lengths.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received the new Fusion SLI suit and it does have the lines on the sleeves. It fits well and feels comfortable, but will race in it this weekend and let you guys know how it performs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great info and options on these 6 pages. I'm a fan of the custom Pactimo Summit one-piece sleeved tri suit we did last year and will likely keep that going this year. I saw that Pearl Izumo quietly released an updated Octane suit. I had one of the 2014ish era ones that I wore through 2016 and loved it.

I really like the styling. $350 seems off the mark though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [ruckustrx11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruckustrx11 wrote:
I just received the new Fusion SLI suit and it does have the lines on the sleeves. It fits well and feels comfortable, but will race in it this weekend and let you guys know how it performs.

Strange, they did not updated the pictures on their site ?
Because on the site, no lines on the sleeves. Looks unchanged from last year model (the one I use)

https://fusionworld.com/...-speed-suit-(1).aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree... I don't have any sort of rippling, wrinkles and baggy areas with my Spider kit.

I don't have any tunnel data or anything scientific... I wear Kiwami as it is my favorite due to fit and comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Agree... I don't have any sort of rippling, wrinkles and baggy areas with my Spider kit.

I don't have any tunnel data or anything scientific... I wear Kiwami as it is my favorite due to fit and comfort.

I can post some pics here latter, but I got the spider 2 4 days before I raced. Love this thing, big back pocket is game changer for me as it gives me ability to carry more calories on race day without any aero penalty. Felt super comfy no wrinkles on the bike. I don't have cda testing on it but I did bike a 2:16 on 207w (I am 5"11 and 162lbs) so its def not slowing me down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to add my 2 cents worth, I have the Desoto suit:

- It is cool (I am a Brit living and racing in Texas)
- The 'Fli' is a great idea. It detracts from nothing and makes it so much easier. Sure you don't need it, but it is great. That talk above about 'falling out' of it is from someone who has clearly never worn one
- I have not seen the pockets mentioned too much, they're great - they are on the hips rather than around the back, and they are closed so things stay in better
- Mine fits great. Just email them and they'll discuss sizing with you - one to one communication with the company owner. I wanted a colour combination showing as not available, they just said 'no problem, we will make it for you'.

I have not had to use customer service for any issues, but I do get the feeling they'll really look after you

Caveat - its my first 'expensive' trisuit so I don't have any other benchmark. However I am sure I would not look elsewhere either in the future. Id just email Emilio.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you liked the Spider2. would be nice to see pics if you have any.

thank you again,

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Had some trouble posting the pic. I thought it was weird too, and surprised when it showed up to have them

Last edited by: ruckustrx11: Apr 15, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
stevej wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
The only issue I have with Kiwami is the material (at least on the LD1 and WS1) is not particularly good in the heat. If heat control isn’t a major issue for you then it is certainly worth considering. I still really like and use WS1 for shorter non wetsuit races and its great.

So what sleeved one piece suits are good in the heat and have tested well for drag?

Garneau

That's interesting because I have both the Garneau M2 and Kiwami LD1 and consider the Garneau to be less comfortable in the heat. Since DFW Tri is the one alleging that Kiwami is not good in the heat, I hope to hear what he thinks is ... and why.

Agreed. Having used my Spiders in 92 and above heat and feeling fine, I tend to feel that statement may not be factual. In fact, the newer Spiders have an ice pocket in the back of the neck.

In 2018 I trained and raced two 70.3's and a full 140.6 in the Spider LD Aero. Like DFW_Tri I'm a larger triathlete and heat management is very important. I can overheat on a rainy, 70 degree day. I've trained and raced in a lot of different tri suits and the Kiwami LD Aero fits extremely well with zero wrinkling around the shoulders in aero, and the mid-torso and upper leg compression is the best bar-none. The water repellency of the suit is exceptional. Kiwami's customer service is also top-notch and super-responsive. But unfortunately unless it's a cool to cold race, I just plain overheat in this suit and quick. I realize the new LD Aero 2 is more breathable due to "airfluence" material on the arms, upper shoulders and upper back, and I haven't tried it out yet; but, if the main front panel on the torso is the same, it's just too thick and hot for me. The ice pockets are another issue that actually add to the problem, for me. The neck ice pocket is nine inches across on the bottom, 4 inches in width, and the top opening that ice is supposed to enter is 3 inches across. As an athlete who overheats easily, the last thing I want and need extra layers of material. And In none of my races have I ever been able to throw ice behind my back, and have it land in that 3" hole. Just my experience. The two ice pockets on the lower torso part of the kit measure 6" across by 3" deep. In total between all 3 pockets this is a lot of extra material on me that decreases the breathability of the suit, and ice in these lower pockets sitting against my insulated love handles does little for cooling. If I were a leaner body type and did not continually suffer overheating issues, I would very well love these pockets for storage or ice.

This past weekend I raced Eagleman in the Zoot Ultra Tri SS Aero suit and I was blissfully cool. Yes it was an overcast, rainy cool day but I still have overheated in those type of conditions. Crazy, I know, but that's just me. (I'm the only guy at a January 30 degrees, 10-mile road race wearing a tank top with a giant V-shape of sweat at mile 3 in the race photos.) I've also trained with the Zoot Ultra in warmer, humid sunny conditions and the carbon material breathes like none other I've tried. I'm not sure how aerodynamic the suit is, but I went 2:27 for 56 miles on 231W this past weekend.

Unfortunately the Zoot Tri SS doesn't provide very good, if any leg compression (the thigh cuffs are loose and floppy after just a few uses). I wish I could find a sleeved suit with the compression of the Kiwami and the breathability of the Zoot.

I've also use the DeSoto Riviera tri suit which is an "okay" compromise as it's more breathable than Kiwami and more compressive than the Zoot; but I'm still hunting for something that fits me better. The DeSoto shoulders wrinkle like crazy on me and the shorts constantly ride up my thighs. I've also used the 2XU X-vent which breathes and cools very well - love that about the suit; but the compression is almost non-existent so I use it strictly for training.

I'm leaning toward trying a Roka Aero II. I was considering the Castelli All Out Speed Suit, but on their own website that say: "It's not the most flexible for the swim, nor the coolest in the run." So there goes trying that suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I was considering the Castelli All Out Speed Suit, but on their own website that say: "It's not the most flexible for the swim, nor the coolest in the run." So there goes trying that suit.

FWIW, I've done multiple races in the All Out suit, including a 70.3 with a 93* run - I had zero issues on the swim (top up, under my wetsuit) and was 100% comfy on the run (disclaimer - with arm cooler sleeves and ice water head dumps at every aid station). I highly recommend it. I personally found the Kiwami suits to be much less breathable and flexible.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I was considering the Castelli All Out Speed Suit, but on their own website that say: "It's not the most flexible for the swim, nor the coolest in the run." So there goes trying that suit.

FWIW, I've done multiple races in the All Out suit, including a 70.3 with a 93* run - I had zero issues on the swim (top up, under my wetsuit) and was 100% comfy on the run (disclaimer - with arm cooler sleeves and ice water head dumps at every aid station). I highly recommend it. I personally found the Kiwami suits to be much less breathable and flexible.

Hmmm... I'll put it back on my list than. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Suits 2019 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
too bad they're only selling XXS and XXL right now...

Jim@EROsports wrote:
Yep, everything Velotec seems to be testing fast. It's just great clothing, and very well made. How they're doing it for that price I don't know.

They have all sizes back in Stock - I ordered an Elite Aero size L suit plus calf guards a couple of weeks ago. Seems like quality kit and fits (me) very well. Plus they're great to deal with. The cut around the neck is massive, but very comfortable .. no idea whether a tighter cut (like their skinsuits) would be beneficial for aerodynamics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next