Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to continue with both

The problem is that Monday to Friday I'm on the coast and whilst dec and Jan are cold-ish (under 10c and frequently close to freezing). Every weekend is in the mountains, and I've spent 70 odd days in the alps

So the tyres are wearing fast, because it's too hot at home and it's 1000 km round trip to the Alps, but there's no doubt when the weather's bad, they have been worth it.

It's seems that's the solution, but u have to accept driving back and forth just wears them excessively
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Tires cost you about $600 for 4 plus $120 a year to get mounted and unmounted.

Do yourself a favor and buy some steelies.
More than likely, the manufacturer or another made a smaller diameter steel wheel with the right pattern for your car. Put snow tires on those.

My summer tires are on the original OEM 17" wheels.
My winter tires are on OEM focus 15" steelies. They run between $25 and $50 from a junkyard. Ford also recommends I run 15" winter tires, and my spare is a full size 15". About $125 for 4 wheels, $50 for mounting (screw TPS for winter tires), swap in the driveway ;)

Smaller wheel with a wider aspect ratio on winter tires helps a lot for comfort and if your REALLY stuck, more flotation.

I have steelies for the car I own. Cost about $80 each if I recall so after about 4 yrs they will pay for themselve Oh wait thats about when the winter tires will need replacing so I have that.. ok its a bout a a 5yr return. Numbers here may be off, but 5 yrs was my calculation before.

So works great for a car you own.. a 3 yr lease not so much..

Don't have winter tires on wife's lease. .. Someone needs to figure out winter tires and leases..

You know the simpler solution, would be that you guys figure out how to get the C8 out so the used C7 prices would drop more and I could just buy one of those for nice days...
Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

More than likely, the manufacturer or another made a smaller diameter steel wheel with the right pattern for your car. Put snow tires on those.

My winter tires are on OEM focus 15" steelies. They run between $25 and $50 from a junkyard. Ford also recommends I run 15" winter tires, and my spare is a full size 15". About $125 for 4 wheels, $50 for mounting (screw TPS for winter tires), swap in the driveway ;)

Smaller wheel with a wider aspect ratio on winter tires helps a lot for comfort and if your REALLY stuck, more flotation.

I have steelies for the car I own. Cost about $80 each if I recall so after about 4 yrs they will pay for themselve Oh wait thats about when the winter tires will need replacing so I have that.. ok its a bout a a 5yr return. Numbers here may be off, but 5 yrs was my calculation before.

Don't have winter tires on wife's lease. .. Someone needs to figure out winter tires and leases..

You know the simpler solution, would be that you guys figure out how to get the C8 out so the used C7 prices would drop more and I could just buy one of those for nice days...

I have no idea what you are talking about ;0

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Many people mistakenly call winter tyres as 'snow tyres' and assume their primary function is to better grip in deep snow.
Yes - they generally have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern and are a little better in gripping snow - though if deep snow is an issue then you need to consider chains, and if ice is an issue then spikes.

The primary reason people should consider winter tyers is based on the TEMPERATURE they operate at. The potential snow cover on roads is a distant second when considering winter tyers.

The tyre rubber's physical properties change as the temperature drops - at very cold temperatures the material becomes much stiffer, and less plastic (rubbery). Because of that the tyre does not 'squish' into the microscopic ridges and holes of the cold pavement. ( https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1996681416301973 )

Another factor is that the cooeficient of friction for rubber drops in cold weather.

If you live in a place like Lyon and the winter temperature is generally above 0C and you only occasionally go into the mountains to ski then you may be OK.
If you live in a place like Montreal or Minneapolis and drive on the highway at +100km/hr in temperatures below -15C, then you should seriously consider winter tires. Your car will stop much faster.

Once I switch to snow/winter tires for winter about `15 years ago I have noticed car/truck stops much faster.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people getting 2 different sets of tires.

My N=1 - I’ve lived in ski/mountain towns for nearly 20 years and have never had a set of winter tires and another set of summer tires. We talk to a trusted tire shop and get the most aggressive all season mud/snow rated tire they recommend. We’ve never had space to store a spare set of tires, but we also have never felt the need to have winter specific tires.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
I wouldn't have my family driving on snow with three season tires.

Me, on snow. Not moving, with useless tires 😬

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:

My N=1 - I’ve lived in ski/mountain towns for nearly 20 years and have never had a set of winter tires and another set of summer tires. We talk to a trusted tire shop and get the most aggressive all season mud/snow rated tire they recommend. We’ve never had space to store a spare set of tires, but we also have never felt the need to have winter specific tires.

Needing better tires... I would agree, untill that snow storm, as a few who have tried them have said, once you try them its very eye opening, how much traction your losing.

Its like some people have 2 or 3 bikes.. not needed but appreciated in the right conditions.

There are some great video's out there on ice rinks, of all wheel drive all season, vs 2 wheel winter tires. The other big thing or winter tires they help you go, stop and corner better.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
DavHamm wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about ;0

This is as long of a running tease as the Porsche Taycan is at this point... but really stop playing on ST and go help them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer AND winter tyres OR all season [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:

Sure, if you don't want to maximize summer grip ;)

Cause I drive sports and sporty cars year round, I chose to have nice sticky tires in the summer that are crap in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My wife's previous ride was a BMW convertible, slammed on coilovers, rear wheel drive, etc. It had strictly summer tires on it and it was a complete joke in any freezing temps. Bought used wheels on CL and some blizzaks with one season on them for $200 and it turned that thing into a winter tank. With the traction control that thing was an absolute beast in the winter, only problem was it sat so low that it became a snowplow on bad days.

Her current car is an Acura MDX with AWD and all-season tires on it. She has a long commute, but we only have 5-10 snow days most years. She was just fine without winter tires this year. We took a trip to go snow shoeing and I was amazed that it was very hard for me to lose traction on a snow covered mountain road. The AWD is all we needed for starting and cornering, winter tires would have made braking better but the all seasons were fine for that.

I don't mind increasing stopping distances and slowing more for corners so I run Continental DWS 06's on my rear wheel drive BMW and it did fine this winter. Not amazing in the snow, but as long as I can get moving and not get stuck I am fine. That Acura with the AWD would be hard to get stuck, winter tires or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Colorado and use all season tires on everything that isn't a sports car. However, with the exception of the recently purchased minivan all my other vehicles have AWD or 4 wheel drive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next