Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Web Development Question
Quote | Reply
I took a bootcamp today about building a website on Wordpress. It was good value for money, I learned a ton, the class came with Genesis framework as part of the package (which he downloaded onto each computer via a thumb drive).

. . . but

the instructor provided a package where "he" hosts the pages.

he asked all participants to email him our log-in name and the password

he said, several times, DON'T CHANGE THE PASSWORD, IT'S HIGHLY SECURE

this seems like a bad reason not to change a password, and I'm wondering if something is up that I'm not getting. I assume he has an affiliate relationship with Genesis and whoever is really hosting, that's fine. But could anything else be going on?
Quote Reply
Re: Web Development Question [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a luddite but that sounds like poor risk management on your part. Just change the password or have someone else host.
Last edited by: windywave: Apr 8, 19 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hmmm sounds strange to me. Have you looked in to squarespace at all? The pricing is very reasonable and it is much more simple to build than wordpress or even WIX. Many are going with Squarespace or WIX for websites these days as it is simple, cheap, and you don't have to have odd relationships like what this guy is trying to get you in to. One of the big problems with Wordpress is that any plugins or templates you use can easily become outdated and then you have to redo a bunch of work. With Squarespace they keep all their plugins and such in house and do the updating for you. I have had a squarespace site for the past year and a half and I have not had to update anything, it all just works, and it was very easy to build.
Quote Reply
Re: Web Development Question [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks to both you and Windy -- will probably close that account altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: Web Development Question [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Hmmm sounds strange to me. Have you looked in to squarespace at all? The pricing is very reasonable and it is much more simple to build than wordpress or even WIX. Many are going with Squarespace or WIX for websites these days as it is simple, cheap, and you don't have to have odd relationships like what this guy is trying to get you in to. One of the big problems with Wordpress is that any plugins or templates you use can easily become outdated and then you have to redo a bunch of work. With Squarespace they keep all their plugins and such in house and do the updating for you. I have had a squarespace site for the past year and a half and I have not had to update anything, it all just works, and it was very easy to build.

That's what I use for my website. Stupid simple and pretty robust.
Quote Reply
Re: Web Development Question [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The idea that you should let someone know your username password and not change it is very stupid. First thing I would do is change the password or more likely shut down my account. That is just wrong and dangerous. This as an IT professional for 24+ years. You never share your password. And never trust anyone with that information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Wordpress dev guy. Whatever this instructor is talking about? NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Absolutely not.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if this is an on-going course where the instructor will provide support and assistance in future I can see this practice - go ahead and practice and learn in 'his domain'. I wouldn't put any finished public facing site in his domain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're forced to change our passwords in some cases daily, so whatever this guy is up to isn't kosher from the cyber risk perspective. Find another hosting solution it's not that hard to just spin up an instance in any number of places.
Quote Reply
Re: Web Development Question [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all!

I've changed the password, hope nothing unpleasant came in via the thumb drive, and everything on my system's backed up from the day before just in case.

Hopefully that's all there is to this story.
Quote Reply