Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beisbol would have been bery good to me.
Quote | Reply
i'm certain there's a defensible reason for scuttling this deal. i can't wait to hear what it is.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t you hear -

“our country is full”
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
Didn’t you hear -

“our country is full”

Consistency in our stance against Cuba? Not that I agree with it, but I can see the reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pandering to the Cuban american florida voters (and windywave).

Oh, you said “defensible reason”?

I got nuthin’...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how is the new board?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The deal violates the law. Simple enough, no?

Flip side ask why the deal needed to be put in place?. why can't they come here on their own? Why do they have to defect? Why is foreign travel restricted? Why keep someone out of the Olympics?
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Pandering to the Cuban american florida voters (and windywave).

Oh, you said “defensible reason”?

I got nuthin’...

I invite you to read over the speech if the current president of the OAS and the referenced report or just review the facts I laid out repeatedly that haven't been refuted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm certain there's a defensible reason for scuttling this deal. i can't wait to hear what it is.

Is the deal in violation of trade law? If so, then what more defensible reason are you looking for?

If you disagree with our trade laws as they pertain to Cuba, that's fine, but while those laws are on the books, I'm not sure how it would be defensible to allow a deal that violates those laws to continue.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Well isn't Cuba a serious security threat to the USA? Absolutely no logic behind this decision, but then it is Trump. Not stopping me from vacationing in Cuba I'm sure windywave is doing backward flips and flipping me the bird over this.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Apr 8, 19 20:13
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Well isn't Cuba a serious security threat to the USA? Absolutely no logic behind this decision, but then it is Trump. Not stopping me from vacationing in Cuba I'm sure windywave is doing backward flips and flipping me the bird over this.

Nope. I just think you're a hypocrite and pathetic. Sleep well dreaming of an oppressed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
how is the new board?

The chubby little sister (as is always the case) rode just how I like the first time out.

The skinny bitch, I’m still figuring out the proper fin combinations. She’s a little higher maintenance.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Nope. I just think you're a hypocrite and pathetic. Sleep well dreaming of an oppressed people.

When you've been to Cuba and seen it and experienced it for yourself feel free to sit down with me eye and have an adult conversation. Until then STFU because you have zero clue what you're talking about. Travel broadens the mind and you need to travel..
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

When you've been to Cuba and seen it and experienced it for yourself feel free to sit down with me eye and have an adult conversation. Until then STFU because you have zero clue what you're talking about. Travel broadens the mind and you need to travel..

I do travel, just not to places that lock up journalists, imprison people protesting for basic rights (and beat their wives who protest their imprisonment), and ban emigration amongst other things.

Why do you always deflect? Do deny my claims? Are all these human rights organizations wrong? Or do you just not want to admit you financially support monsters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stepping away from the normal back and forth between you and cerveloguy, there is only one indisputable fact: You bring no pragmatic plan for resolution or easing of the situation that you complain about. In fact the mindlessly reflexive attitude that you support has probably worsened it for several decades, at a time when the original reason for those policies have evaporated. I don't see how you take pride in how poorly your viewpoint has played out as policy.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 8, 19 21:07
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Is the deal in violation of trade law? If so, then what more defensible reason are you looking for?

If you disagree with our trade laws as they pertain to Cuba, that's fine, but while those laws are on the books, I'm not sure how it would be defensible to allow a deal that violates those laws to continue.

it's only illegal if you don't get a license from treasury.

this arrangement was struck as a human rights issue. it's not a trade issue. you ought to read about yasiel puig's journey from cuba to the US, and his was the rule, not the exception.

the deal was done 4 months ago, under this administration, it was big news at the time, and if the trump had a problem with it, they certainly didn't need 4 months to think it over. but really they had 2+ years to think it over. MLB got a license from the treasury dept in 2016 to proceed into negotiations with the cuban baseball federation. this deal was 3 years in the making and the trump admin could have stopped it at any time.

but the permission came from the obama administration. so, we get this. it's mean. it's a vindictive slam at obama. and. of course, cubans are brown.

it'll be interesting to see how this plays among cubans in florida. i have no idea how it'll go over.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
this arrangement was struck as a human rights issue. it's not a trade issue. you ought to read about yasiel puig's journey from cuba to the US, and his was the rule, not the exception.

Having served in the Navy all over South and Central America, and in Southeast Asia, I completely understand the horrors of human trafficking, and the need to help ease that humanitarian suffering. However, I don't know that the way to ease the suffering of people who are being trafficked because of the negative policies of their dictatorial government is to pay large sums of money to their government, especially if doing so is illegal.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There is only one reason Trump is scuttling the deal and it has nothing to do with human rights and everything to do with the fact that it was done during the Obama years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I do travel, just not to places that lock up journalists, imprison people protesting for basic rights (and beat their wives who protest their imprisonment), and ban emigration amongst other things.

Why do you always deflect? Do deny my claims? Are all these human rights organizations wrong? Or do you just not want to admit you financially support monsters?

You mean like how the US is only interested in "democracy and rights for the masses" when it helps the business interests we have in the region?

Don't pretend that we only play world police to free the bonds of oppression.

Our POTUS plays dumb over a journalist mutilated by a "friend" of ours in the ME but we're going to sit in this topic and act all high and righteous over not travelling to Cuba.

Right......

Oh, and those monsters have a lower infant mortality rate than the US and neck and neck with the US only one place ahead of Cuba on life expectancy. The literacy rate of 15 year old kids is also up there, the US chooses not to report.

There's a lot bad, but there's some very basic stats that mean it's mental gymnastics to try to put them in the same boat with somewhere like N Korea, old Soviet satellite states, or some SE Asian countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Beisbol would have been bery good to me. [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Stepping away from the normal back and forth between you and cerveloguy, there is only one indisputable fact: You bring no pragmatic plan for resolution or easing of the situation that you complain about. In fact the mindlessly reflexive attitude that you support has probably worsened it for several decades, at a time when the original reason for those policies have evaporated. I don't see how you take pride in how poorly your viewpoint has played out as policy.
Not directed at WW, but the contrast in how the US has dealt with and currently deals with North Korea vs. Cuba since the 1950's up through the present makes for an interesting study.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Wait...I thought Chico Escuela was Dominican?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your amusement with misspelling dates back many many years....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s'_literary_P164219/
Quote Reply