Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neck pain
Quote | Reply
My neck hurts really bad after riding 56 miles on my tri bike.
Is this from bad a fitting or heavy helmet?
I feel very comfortable for the first 2/3 of the way, but my neck kills me after.
To the point, I can't think straight or lift it up.
Is there a way I can strength my neck?
I know a couple of guys having a same issue.
I use Giro Aerohead helmet btw.
I wonder how other people deal with this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck pain [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has it always been painful or just recently? I suffered the same to the extend I was no longer able to ride a TT bike. At the end (2 year search) I found the problem and for me it is an "old age" problem degenerative disc disease. I am back on the TT bike again but not as aero as I used to be. If it is just recently I would start with moving upwards a little at the front and go from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck pain [K73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K73 wrote:
Has it always been painful or just recently? I suffered the same to the extend I was no longer able to ride a TT bike. At the end (2 year search) I found the problem and for me it is an "old age" problem degenerative disc disease. I am back on the TT bike again but not as aero as I used to be. If it is just recently I would start with moving upwards a little at the front and go from there.

I didn't notice this pain before, so it started recently. I admit, I can tell I'm getting old. I wonder if there's any workout that I can strengthen my neck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my experience: I tried everything and anything and only a few worked. Easy strength training (take your time with this) and less aero on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, (before spinal surgery!) this was always caused by muscle tiredness and went away with practice. So I'd recommend just keep doing what you're doing, and exercising those neck muscles. My neck always got used to it after a handful of long rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Neck pain [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
For me, (before spinal surgery!) this was always caused by muscle tiredness and went away with practice. So I'd recommend just keep doing what you're doing, and exercising those neck muscles. My neck always got used to it after a handful of long rides.

I usually ride my road bike before the race more than my tri bike due to road condition in my area.
I will try to ride tri bike more from now on.
Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Neck pain [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will answer to my own question. I realized I stopped working on my traps and decided to give it a try. I've been doing it for about a month and my neck doesn't hurt anymore after a long ride. Basically, I grab barbells or dumbbells and do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjJLCMqH9w
Quote Reply