Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 8 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week: run mileage total 50 or less; swim 5x; bike twice

yes, yes, no

a cold that started yesterday morning + humidity have made me feel awful yesterday and today :-(

I did a nice job varying my run distances last week. Long was 11 on Thurs. (bailed on long run yesterday due to feeling icky)
7 swims: 8575 yds
1 bike: 6 mi
6 runs: 41.5 mi
1 no run day!!!! pleased with self for this

goals... need to get a long run in, or re-think the spring marathon ...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 8, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel better Dr TC! This is the worst time of year for colds, HVAC systems are switching and kicking up all kinds of junk, it's still cold enough at night for pathogens to thrive, and people tend to lose their self-awareness for their personal hygiene. Sending lots of aloe-coated tissues and Matzo ball soup your way!

Last week's goal was to recover and race. And I did both mightily. I took Artemis outside for her first ever voyage in the daylight, and we saw the Cherry Blossoms together. Good lord my bike is fast. I didn't really have the chance to open the taps (lots of car and foot traffic) but when I do...hoo boy. I also ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler yesterday, and after spending the past SIX MONTHS locked into Z2 purgatory, I was able to comfortably run the race 2 minutes/mile FASTER than what I've been running recently. My coach updated my running zones before the race and I did one of those choke-on-your-spittle-through-your-nose laughs when I saw what my new paces are. And then I hit the pointy end of my Z3 range for ten straight miles. So, whoa. Oh, and I had a little PB for IM distance in the pool on Thursday. Soooo yeah, recovery week was awesome ;)

This week's goal: HELLO TAPER

M- rest (nailing it!)
Tu- 3350yd swim, 45min trainer ride
W- 16mi run (Um, yes. This is looking much like Pfitzinger's version of taper apparently)
Th- 2200yd swim with stretch cord prehab
F- 70min trainer ride and 4mi run
Sa- 7mi run
Su- 55mi ride with 35min run brick

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered why I tend to get a spring cold. Now I know.
Congrats on your run improvement!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, I hope you kick your cold quickly.
Dr_Cupcake, nice work! Slow running is a secret of fast running.

I raced this weekend so my training was lighter:
Quote:
3 swims, 4 bikes, and 3 runs including the race.

I benefited from my taper and had a good race finishing 2nd AG and 12th female, my best placement at an Ironman race. More importantly, I had another solid run off the bike, another datapoint for dispelling some personal demons.

This week I'm back on the road and have some easy swims and bikes and I'm doing a Ragnar relay over the weekend. Thinking the week will be 4 runs, 3 bikes, and 2 swims -- hopefully one in the ocean during the relay.

Happy training everyone!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are killing it Dr_C! And thanks for the little lesson; I'm always grateful when I make it through spring/fall break education activities without getting sick. Hope you feel better soon Dr TC.

My goals for last week were: 4 x swim/bike/run and 2 x strength. It was an interesting week at work and I had to shuffle some workouts around to make sure I was going into them with a 100% attitude. It all worked out in the end but I skipped one strength session (instead I did some mini-yoga sessions throughout the week).

This week: 2 or 3 x swim (1 done), 3 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength. Travelling for fun this weekend and there will be lots of California wine involved. I was hoping to do my long aerobic ride outside while away but the weather looks miserable and I'm not spending 2.5 hours on a hotel gym bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally back in the pool

Mon: walk/jog 1.6 miles
Tue: gym and Pilates
Wed: swim 2,000 LCM
Thur: off
Fri: Swim 1,800 SCY
Sat: gym + walk 1.1 miles
Sun: Pilates and yoga

I'm still not in the mood to ride (I just hate riding indoors, even with Zwift) and now we have rain. I had planned to ride this week at Xantusia, but....

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, are you coming to California? PM me if you need winery recommendations (or bike routes, I guess).

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I benefited from my taper and had a good race finishing 2nd AG and 12th female, my best placement at an Ironman race. More importantly, I had another solid run off the bike, another datapoint for dispelling some personal demons.

wow - an IM finish - amazing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not on this occasion! Thanks for the offer though. AND! Huge congratulations on your great result.
Last edited by: Scheherazade: Apr 8, 19 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:

Congratulations! Which race?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dr. Tigerchik, Scheherazade, and ironclm. Clarification -- I meant Ironman-branded, not the full distance. Still just half crazy :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a fantastic finish! That’s pretty damn epic!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'm really pleased with my progress -- especially after last summer's madness.

I got a rolldown spot to 70.3 Worlds in my last race and the happiest part of my race was knowing I made someone else's day when I turned my slot down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi y'all,

You continue to amaze me! Great job, SoCal, on the 70.3! And enjoy the Ragnar. A bunch of my SoCal friends love that race.

Dr TC: feel better. Spring colds are the worst.

Cupcake: Taper! Sounds fun!

Scheherezade: I like thinking about going into my workouts with 100% attitude. I think I'll be carrying that one around in my pocket for a bit. Also, screw hotel gym bikes! Drink wine!

Ironclm: welcome back to the pool!

I hit my goals last week, though the last bike ride almost killed me. Here's my sched this week:

M: Rest
T: Run sprints (30 min), bike sprints (1 hr)
W: Swim and strength
Th: Tempo run (30 min), bike (1 hr)
F: Swim and strength
Sat: Run 45 mins
Sun: Long bike ride

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna - shin splints?

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad to help. Calf raises, new shoes, and running on non-pavement surfaces all might help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! I finally have a second to check in. Last week was pretty good. I'm back in PT and went twice, and have lots of hamstring homework. I went to barre and rode my trainer. I did have family in town on Sunday, but we had fun and did a lot of walking around, so I made it an active rest day, haha.

This week is off to a pretty good start with PT, an FTP re-test that about killed me, a ride with new power targets that about killed me again, and a weights video. Today is probably going to be a rest day because I am pretty tired from the week. I am looking forward to my usual long, chill, indoor training day tomorrow, although I am even more looking forward to a few weeks when a popular bike route closes to traffic on Saturdays. Better weather is almost here!

I am kind of bummed because I am not allowed to run and am missing a half-marathon tomorrow that I was tentatively using as a goal race. Sigh. But I know there will be other races and I need to get stronger so I can run without injury. I have been in contact with a running form coach and hope to meet up with her as soon as I am off the injured reserve list. =)

Hope you are feeling better, Dr. Tigerchik!
Great job on the 10-miler, Dr_Cupcake!
Way to kick ass at your race, SoCal!
Hope you are enjoying the California wine, Scheherazade! My sister-in-law lives not too far from wine country and it is probably good for my liver that I only visit her every year or two. ; )
Happy swimming, Ironclm.
Hope training is going well, GiantNewb!
Anna, hope your legs are feeling better -- shin splints are terrible.

Hopefully everyone has a great weekend!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
an FTP re-test that about killed me, a ride with new power targets that about killed me again

A big WOOT WOOT for bike gains!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 8 edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They may be slow, but they are steady. =)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply