Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I'm pissed off about this article
Quote | Reply
One of US President Donald Trump's top aides has said that opposition Democrats will "never" see his tax returns.
White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said the call for the records to be released was a "political stunt".
On Wednesday a Congressional tax committee submitted a request for six years of the president's returns from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Unlike previous presidents, Mr Trump has refused to publish his tax details.

https://www.bbc.com/...d-us-canada-47847022

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said the call for the records to be released was a "political stunt".

Maybe it was. But Trump saying he would release them if elected was also a massive political stunt. Not to mention lie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call fake news.

Trump will release his returns as soon as the IRS is done with their audit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Unlike previous presidents, Mr Trump has refused to publish his tax details.

He really wants to release his taxes but its complicated and he is just looking after us, poor stupid Americans...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will happen just after Mexico pays for the wall and right before we get cheaper and better healthcare with Trump's great plan. Because he does what he says, or so I'm told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t get the obsession with this.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

agreed...it's like asking for Obamas report card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Not sure there's obsession over it, except within a small cohort of left wingers.

There's interest in his tax returns for several reasons.

1. He said he'd release them, but clearly hasn't.

2. He claimed he can't release them because of audit, except there's nothing about being audited that prohibits you from releasing your own returns, and no one seems to be able to confirm he's actually under audit, and the IRS says that his claims of being repeatedly audited year after year after year are very unlikely to be true.

3. Virtually every serious candidate for President (and most for Congress) release their returns, basically since Nixon.

4. His refusal to do so makes it seem like he's hiding something.

5. He is one of potentially the most financially conflicted Presidents in history just due to his wide ranging network of domestic and foreign properties and investments, and the true nature of those conflicts (or lack thereof) could be illuminated somewhat through his tax returns.

6. He's generally considered to be the type of guy who would cut corners, find ways to cheat on his taxes, etc, and it's important to know if your President is a tax fraud.

7. He has influence over tax policy, and it would be good to know if he's using that position to personally enhance his tax status.

8. He's a bit of a blowhard braggard who has claimed he has X Billions of dollars, and people want to be able to embarrass him when they find out he has way less than that.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     Pretty much what you said, and we see Sanders getting grief for slow-walking his release, so it shows that it is just so expected at this point that the media will hit either side on the issue.
-
http://nymag.com/...his-tax-returns.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8a. His taxes are most likely so complex they can easily have about 100 gotcha moments, that even though he may have legally and ethically done the right thing. It’ll look bad because most of the country doesn’t understand millionaire/billionaire taxes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 5 is a key one.
5a. Deutsche Bank?
5b. His son-in-law (senior advisor) livelihood depends on a foreign company (?) financing.

8a. not as important but quite possible. See Bon Jovi remarks on that when trying to buy the Buffalo Bills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Article 1, Section 9, Clause 8
Article 2, Section 1, clause 7

And a provision of the 1924 Internal Revenue Code says that the IRS has to give the Ways and Means committee up to the prior 6 years of tax returns for anyone to conduct an investigation and the IRS HAS to by law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple, make every Congress person and Senator submit their taxes at the same time for review. The demand for Trump's taxes would disappear as quickly as any of the other Congressional failures over the last two years.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If one branch of the Government wants to intrude on the other, then that road is a two way passage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This may be among the many reasons Trump doesn't want his tax returns made public...

https://www.newyorker.com/...ld-trumps-worst-deal

This deal and article is also now getting more airplay due to the connections between the Mammadov family and Azarpassillo, an Iranian construction company whose chairman was formerly head of Raman, an Iranian construction company that is controlled by Iran's Revolutionary Guard - which Trump just named a terror group.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
8a. His taxes are most likely so complex they can easily have about 100 gotcha moments, that even though he may have legally and ethically done the right thing. It’ll look bad because most of the country doesn’t understand millionaire/billionaire taxes.

Yeah, because everyone is going to give Frank DownTheStreet's hot take a lot of weight.

This is such a pathetic non-excuse. Only beaten out by "I'm under audit so I can't."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Yeah, because everyone is going to give Frank DownTheStreet's hot take a lot of weight.

This is such a pathetic non-excuse. Only beaten out by "I'm under audit so I can't."

You really don’t think CNN/MSNBC/Democrats will try to explain it high level and make it sound horrible? Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but they can sure make it sound however they want.

Fortune even just had an article, in their last issue, about the top IRS auditors not being able to understand fully what these guys are doing with their taxes.

Everyone complains about the dittoheads listening to Trump, there’s equal amounts that will listen to the left and believe whatever they say.

Is it a stupid reason, maybe, but it’s not wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We have a winner,

No, no, no. There will be clear evidence of cheating on his taxes. He probably bought off some IRS agents to overlook it.

They will also clearly show that he owes millions of dollars and tons of favors to Russians.

Only once tons of lay people get to see the returns, will the malfeasance become clear.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

But Mitt Romney was able to release his tax returns. People seemed to understand those fine. Bloomberg, who has more money that trump, also released his tax returns when running for mayor.

I think people will understand them just fine. I mean the NYTs understood just fine the tax information they already got.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

But Mitt Romney was able to release his tax returns. People seemed to understand those fine. Bloomberg, who has more money that trump, also released his tax returns when running for mayor.

I think people will understand them just fine. I mean the NYTs understood just fine the tax information they already got.

Did anyone care about them releasing their tax returns beyond that they should? Does such a large percentage of the population hate those two combined as much as the hatred for trump? Are they anywhere near as complex as his probably are? Bloomberg might be, doubt Romney’s is.

My guess is their is a lot of potentially shady crap in Trumps tax return. However, to determine the validity of it you would have to go through extensive legal challenges that anyone beyond the IRS doesn’t have the ability to do. So all it turns into is a gotcha moment.

As much as he’s a jack wagon, I don’t see what we’re gaining from this being an issue, Besides the Democrats finding another way to shoot themselves in the foot by trying to see how much they can talk about trump and not their ideas.
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Apr 8, 19 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

Did anyone care about them releasing their tax returns beyond that they should? Does such a large percentage of the population hate those two combined as much as the hatred for trump? Are they anywhere near as complex as his probably are? Bloomberg might be, doubt Romney’s is.

My guess is their is a lot of potentially shady crap in Trumps tax return. However, to determine the validity of it you would have to go through extensive legal challenges that anyone beyond the IRS doesn’t have the ability to do. So all it turns into is a gotcha moment.

As much as he’s a jack wagon, I don’t see what we’re gaining from this being an issue, Besides the Democrats finding another way to shoot themselves in the foot by trying to see how much they can talk about trump and not their ideas.

Maybe people would hate him less if he was transparent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

Maybe people would hate him less if he was transparent?

I’m going with unlikely for that one haha.

That said, the Fortune article was really interesting. The audits for these guys are nuts and trying to nail them on anything is next to impossible because their accountants and lawyers are just that good. Along with the IRS team that handles them not being funded enough to handle what they are supposed to be handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

Do you think that Romney and Bloomberg had the level of scrutiny that Trump would have? I don't for a minute.

That being said, I think that the president, and all senators and representatives should make their tax returns public too if we're worried about conflict of interest.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm pissed off about this article [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

We have a winner,

Do you think that Romney and Bloomberg had the level of scrutiny that Trump would have? I don't for a minute.

That being said, I think that the president, and all senators and representatives should make their tax returns public too if we're worried about conflict of interest.

Why wouldn't they have looked at Romney's tax return closely? He was running for president and would be something that would help Democrats, of course they heavily scrutinized Romney's.

Either way, trump's returns demand heavy scrutiny, because he has kept ownership of his businesses. Businesses that people give him money specifically to gain access to him. Literally giving him a couple hundred hundred thousand dollars allows you to talk to him. He will then pass on your thoughts to the people that work for him in the government and tell them to look into it or make them fly out to Mar-a-lago to talk to you. Or make you ambassador.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t disagree with you. I just think you’re expecting more than what you would actually see. You’d see something like Trump Corp A paid x amount to him. Then you would have to dive into trump Corp As taxes which congress probably can’t do. And if they did it would be Trump sub Corp a1 and a2 etc.

It’s not gonna say Trump Russian Payment Corp bypass trust.
Quote Reply

Prev Next