Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start)
Quote | Reply

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has told me she would never let me do South Africa but I keep trying to tell her she's being too cautious. I guess I won't show her this picture.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pro starting line sounds like Kona except for one or two conspicuous absences. Winds forecast to 26 mph with gusts up to 40... fun for the MOPs :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 2004 the first year in Port Elizabeth when it was a 1/2. The website called the beach "Hobbie Beach" but when I got there the sign said "Shark Rock." I believe our taxi driver also pointed out something called "Seal Island" a few miles away. The aquarium in town had a photo exhibit showing great white sharks flying out of the water. One of the best races and experiences ever, but I can't say I was unhappy when the swim part was done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It only has to be clear for the race. Did IMSA in 2017 and the 70.3 WC in 2018 and here I am in one piece. As far as I know there has never been an incident at that beach. Fingers crossed that the racers have a great experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who y'all got?
I'm picking Weiss for the win
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Who y'all got?

I don't know but based on that picture I'm predicting some swim records.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't have to out swim the sharks. I only have to out swim you."

-Me (if I were actually doing that race)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you're not the straggler at the back ðŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Who y'all got?

I don't know but based on that picture I'm predicting some swim records.

Hehe. Good one
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
^^^^ this

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Aernouts
2) Nilsson
3) Weiss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the swim was cut to 70.3 distance - probably not due to the shark, though.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well seems two people died in the swim...
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems two people have died in the swim though...
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:

dad jokes on slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 7, 19 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Looks like the swim was cut to 70.3 distance - probably not due to the shark, though.

Tragic! They cut the swim to just 1.6K due to conditions but two still died anyway (per news, 1 heart attack, 1 convulsions). Can you imagine the liability if this had happened in the U.S.? I.e., if the water is bad enough to reduce it from 2.4 miles to just 1 mile, and two people die anyway, the right decision - in retrospect - would have been to cancel the swim altogether. I know there are a lot of folks on ST who want RDs to put the onus on the athlete whether they should swim in rough conditions, but this is a nightmare scenario.

Turns out the sharks were the least of their worries. I hope the rest of the day goes well.
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Tragic! They cut the swim to just 1.6K due to conditions but two still died anyway (per news, 1 heart attack, 1 convulsions). Can you imagine the liability if this had happened in the U.S.? I.e., if the water is bad enough to reduce it from 2.4 miles to just 1 mile, and two people die anyway, the right decision - in retrospect - would have been to cancel the swim altogether. I know there are a lot of folks on ST who want RDs to put the onus on the athlete whether they should swim in rough conditions, but this is a nightmare scenario.

Turns out the sharks were the least of their worries. I hope the rest of the day goes well.

Maybe they should, and maybe not, its not 100% that it was the difficult water that caused the issue though, tragic none the less.
Quote Reply
Re: Shark spotted on start beach of Ironman South Africa (t-8 hours to start) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Tragic! They cut the swim to just 1.6K due to conditions but two still died anyway (per news, 1 heart attack, 1 convulsions). Can you imagine the liability if this had happened in the U.S.? I.e., if the water is bad enough to reduce it from 2.4 miles to just 1 mile, and two people die anyway, the right decision - in retrospect - would have been to cancel the swim altogether. I know there are a lot of folks on ST who want RDs to put the onus on the athlete whether they should swim in rough conditions, but this is a nightmare .

We'll never know, but cutting it short could exacerbate the risk of a heart attack for some - instead if a steady 2.4m they set off to red line a 1 mile. It's not necessarily the struggling slower swimmer that sadly has

the problem.
Quote Reply