Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave?
Quote | Reply
I'm new to Uber and will be flying into LAX Sunday evening and need a ride to San Bernardino. Should I schedule a ride tonight or just request one once I've gotten my bags?

From searching online, it sounds like it won't be a problem to get a ride from such a busy airport, but I don't want to be sucking the hind tit at 8 pm based on a quick Google search.

Also, will I have trouble getting an Uber for that long of a drive (about an hour)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uber drivers like longer drives generally.

Not the same situation but I frequently take Uber from lga to conn. (It’s around a 90min trip).

Never had a problem. Most airports have an Uber wait zone. So their are cabs waiting there anyway.

I just request the cab once I have my luggage/plane lands.
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont schedule because your flight may be delayed, bafs may take a long time or anything else that goes wrong flying.

Make sure your uber app is set up with your credit card, then also download lyft and set that up too. Check the prices on both, they will usually be a few bucks different but sometimes one will be quite a lot cheaper. In a busy airport just go to the designated rideshare spot and order your car. You wont have to wait long

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never had an issue getting an Uber at LAX down to OC and don’t reserve ahead of time.
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cab?
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Cab?

Yes thats what he is asking about, just a Cab company that under pays its drivers, doesn't maintain its own fleet, is undercutting the competition by losing money every year.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has driven for Uber, scheduling is a scam. All the schedule function does is have Uber send out your ride request 10-15 minutes before your pickup time and then notifies the passenger that the driver will show up in a 15 minute window.

Just do the on demand request. There will be a bunch of drivers sitting at the airport waiting for requests.

Uber doesn't let the driver know where the passenger is headed until the passenger is in the car.
Smart drivers prefer longer trips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't checking bags then as soon as you are off the plane send in your request. If you are checking, then wait until you see your bag.

The pick up area at LAX is on the upper/arrivals level. There are 5 or 6 and you choose then one nearest your terminal when you ask for your ride. Depending on traffic it will take 10-20 minutes for the driver to arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Cab?
Sure, if you he wanted to pay 3X as much for a car in bad shape and a generally worse driver.
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
As someone who has driven for Uber, scheduling is a scam. All the schedule function does is have Uber send out your ride request 10-15 minutes before your pickup time and then notifies the passenger that the driver will show up in a 15 minute window.

Just do the on demand request. There will be a bunch of drivers sitting at the airport waiting for requests.

Uber doesn't let the driver know where the passenger is headed until the passenger is in the car.
Smart drivers prefer longer trips.

My experience as a passenger using the schedule function a couple times, is the same. It seems Uber charges you a hefty premium to "schedule" your ride. But gives you a 15 min window, and they always seem to show up right at the max 15 min limit.

Talking with the drivers each time, they say they just get a request a bit before the time you need, basically like they would had you requested it yourself at the point in time. There is no pre-scheduling that occurs with them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Uber User: Should I Schedule a Pick-Up from LAX Before I Leave? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Cab?

Sure, if you he wanted to pay 3X as much for a car in bad shape and a generally worse driver.

Huh? Uber, lyft are all forms of cab's -- a car licensed to transport passengers in return for payment of a fare,

Yes they are cheaper than a tradional service, but that is because they underpay their drivers and sell rides at a loss, which is why they have never made money, and will eventually go bust, and leave the whole Cab industry in a mess.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Apr 7, 19 12:33
Quote Reply