Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The UK's highest paid MP, a barrister who should be doing Audio Books
Quote | Reply
Check out @BBCPolitics’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/...139568918417409?s=09

Joking aside, and whilst he makes peanuts compared to top US lawyers, I think he does OK for his part time gig.

He is unquestionably one of the best orators in Parliament, along with Grieve, Starmer, Soubry (nutter) and Thomas though none have the presence of Cox

It's interesting, I've watched a lot - I mean a lot of Parliament in the last 4 months - and by far and away, almost always, those with a legal background, trump most other members most of the time for being able to articulate complex arguments

That said, imagine him reading Jack Reacher :)
Quote Reply
Re: The UK's highest paid MP, a barrister who should be doing Audio Books [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Check out @BBCPolitics’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/...139568918417409?s=09

Joking aside, and whilst he makes peanuts compared to top US lawyers, I think he does OK for his part time gig.

He is unquestionably one of the best orators in Parliament, along with Grieve, Starmer, Soubry (nutter) and Thomas though none have the presence of Cox

It's interesting, I've watched a lot - I mean a lot of Parliament in the last 4 months - and by far and away, almost always, those with a legal background, trump most other members most of the time for being able to articulate complex arguments

That said, imagine him reading Jack Reacher :)

Lawyers are trained in bull shit speak. The better they are at it, the more successful they are. It's not what you say but how you say it. But remember that public orators were very popular and had great influence in the last days of the Roman Empire.
Quote Reply
Re: The UK's highest paid MP, a barrister who should be doing Audio Books [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many hours a day?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The UK's highest paid MP, a barrister who should be doing Audio Books [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's both what you say and how you say it.

A great speaker uses time as an ally, structuring and compartmentalising, sticking easter eggs here and there that detonate as the speech progresses.

Others speak in splats.
Quote Reply