Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Last long ride before a race
Quote | Reply
Anybody have suggestions of when the last long ride should occur before an Ironman? My current thinking is a 115 mile ride 2 weeks before and then no more than 50 mile rides in those last two weeks. I'm coming from a place of ignorance, so feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Last long ride before a race [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your plan is fine for an experienced athlete but might be a bit much for a newbie. For them, I would suggest 3 weeks out for a full length ride, and maybe 70-80 miles for 2 weeks out, then go to 50 max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty close to what I'm doing for Galveston half, I did 67 miles 14 days before the race, nothing over 20 miles since then. Split between easy (70% ftp) hour rides and taper efforts on the trainer, something like 45 minutes at 50-60% with 3x3 at 110% and a few short hard sprint efforts mixed in to keep it fresh.

I've been trying to taper better for this race - I'm still kinda new to this and trying to figure out what works for me. I tend to suffer from work too hard syndrome.
Last edited by: Zachreligious: Apr 5, 19 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, a ton of it depends on the experience, ability, and history of an athlete. You often hear X number of 100+ mile rides or X number of rides of 5+ hours. I'm doing IM Norway at the end of June, and I know for a fact I won't have a ride of 5 or more hours before race day. With my schedule and prioritizing family, I might get in 2-3 rides of 4.5 hours, which should be at or a bit over 100 miles. I need to be done with biking around 7 AM - tomorrow my alarm is set for just before 3 AM to get in a 3:45 ride - that's just the reality of trying to fit things into my life. I plan on doing a 4 hour ride two weeks out from my race. That said, I'll be in the 8-11 hours of biking range every week for the next twelve weeks. I'm more of a believer in consistent training and overall volume than a few longer rides and runs - that does more for you on race day than a few big workouts.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Last long ride before a race [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Honestly, a ton of it depends on the experience, ability, and history of an athlete. You often hear X number of 100+ mile rides or X number of rides of 5+ hours. I'm doing IM Norway at the end of June, and I know for a fact I won't have a ride of 5 or more hours before race day. With my schedule and prioritizing family, I might get in 2-3 rides of 4.5 hours, which should be at or a bit over 100 miles. I need to be done with biking around 7 AM - tomorrow my alarm is set for just before 3 AM to get in a 3:45 ride - that's just the reality of trying to fit things into my life. I plan on doing a 4 hour ride two weeks out from my race. That said, I'll be in the 8-11 hours of biking range every week for the next twelve weeks. I'm more of a believer in consistent training and overall volume than a few longer rides and runs - that does more for you on race day than a few big workouts.

Agree with this. Quality over quantity unless you can do both.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"My current thinking is a 115 mile ride 2 weeks before then no more than 50 mile rides in those last two weeks"

I'd move that 100-miler to at least three weeks out; 90 miles might be smarter three weeks out unless you want the mental confidence of reaching the century mark. Just opinion.

My go-to taper for the two weekends before IM is 30 minutes warm up on the bike, then bike 90 minutes at IM pace (give or take a few beats HR), followed by a 45-run minute run. It's a great workout that will keep you fresh.

Good luck, rock it ...
Quote Reply
Re: Last long ride before a race [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zachreligious wrote:
Sounds pretty close to what I'm doing for Galveston half, I did 67 miles 14 days before the race, nothing over 20 miles since then. Split between easy (70% ftp) hour rides and taper efforts on the trainer, something like 45 minutes at 50-60% with 3x3 at 110% and a few short hard sprint efforts mixed in to keep it fresh.

I've been trying to taper better for this race - I'm still kinda new to this and trying to figure out what works for me. I tend to suffer from work too hard syndrome.

Pretty similar to what I've been doing and I'm doing Galveston as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Last long ride before a race [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So IM Texas is on the 27th

So over the past few months I've done these long rides:

February 13th: 85 miles

February 26th: 85 miles

March 9th: 90 Miles

March 17th: 100 miles

March 23: 101 miles

April 4: 106 miles

I know I probably should have done more earlier, but with the snow I was kept inside on the trainer most of January and February. So knowing that I just did 106 yesterday, should I not do the 115 next weekend?

After the March 23rd ride I was super fatigued, so I took a little longer before my ride on April 4th. My April 4th ride was my strongest yet at my fastest mph, lowest avg heartrate, and highest fat burning percentage.

I had a little run injury in March, so I'm playing it easy on the run. I know I don't have quite enough miles for a great race at Texas, but I think I'll be okay. I have been doing 5k's and 10k's off my long rides and I actually feel semi-decent.

With that bit of information, would anybody still do a 115 mile ride next weekend (2 weeks before race day)?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That should be plenty if you have also been doing good structured workouts during the week.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you do not need to do the over distance. That is a great build.

Your last long ride should be for you. Enjoy it. Think about the work you’ve put in. Plan 80 but stop early if you want to.
Quote Reply