Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for a trip to Gettysburg?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about a trip to Gettysburg this summer to tour the battlefield. Any recommendations on decent hotels, dining, etc?

Quote | Reply
We visited many years ago, and I highly recommend booking a battlefield tour with a licensed guide. There are a variety of options (bike/bus/car). We had one ride with us in our car and it was very educational. You can book by phone at the visitor's center.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for a trip to Gettysburg? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^this. I have not been there but my Dad and many other people have and everyone that has hired a guide has told me how awesome it was and every that did not wish they had. Hope to go soon! Have a great trip.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year, the battle re-enactment will be July 5th - 7th. The negative - it will be jammed, some hotels are probably sold out already, restaurants will be a long wait, and getting around will be really tedious. The positive - it's awesome to see. I haven't been to the G-burg one, but a few others in the area, and the attention to detail is amazing - what they wear, eat, the equipment, campsites, etc. The battles occur at specific times; I think the campsites are open all day, and there are all kinds of demonstrations, etc. to see. It will get really crowded during the actual battles. The re-enactment is not within the National Park, so you will still want to do the guided tour thing there, but again so will a lot of other tourists.

There have been a ton of hotels built in the last decade or so, mostly chains you'll recognize, don't know any more than that. There are some B&Bs in town that I'm told are really good, period buildings appropriately decorated and furnished. Again, it might already be too late for some of those for the July 4th weekend.

Gettysburg is a pretty small town. It's near US Rte 15 and US Rte 30, but it's all 2 lane roads into and through town, so traffic can be really, really slow.
There are some other small towns in the area that you might also consider walking around. Hanover, PA is similarly old and there are some really nice antique shops in town. Frederick, MD isn't too far away, I always liked the place. Also an older, historic town, but it has a small but lively restaurant, arts and antiques vibe downtown. Frederick does a really nice 4th of July celebration. A number of different musical performances, and the headliner is usually someone pretty well known, all for free. One year I saw the Smithereens there. Lots of food and activities, very good for kids.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Last edited by: ergopower: Apr 4, 19 19:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Thinking about a trip to Gettysburg this summer to tour the battlefield. Any recommendations on decent hotels, dining, etc?

Bring plenty of water/gatoraide for your troops! When I taught Mil History at the Academy I had to lead many staff rides of Gettysburg (and Fredericksburg, Sharpsburg, Chancellorsville and the Wilderness Campaign).

I too recommend hiring a historian/guide who will travel with you in your vehicle. They go thru a rigorous certification process, are quite knowledgeable and brimming with little stories/anecdotes that will really make your tour pleasurable. If that won't work for y'all I highly recommend the US Army War College Staff Ride Guide to the Battle of Gettysburg. It will take you from point A to B to C following the three days of major fighting. Day 1 up on the N. side where you'll realize just what a critical role Buford played; Day 2 in the south around the Peach Orchard, Wheatfield and Little Round Top with Joshua L. Chamberlain whom I named my son after, and Day3 with Pickett's charge.

I'd love to join you and take you around the place myself but I'm a little tied up over here atm.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to live there. I always tell ppl to climb the observation tower on Confederate Ave. It's fun, free and you can see a lot from the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for a trip to Gettysburg? [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI the locals pronounce it Gettisburg not Getteesburg.
Quote Reply