Prev Next
Re: Best investment before HIM? [ILoveMyTrinity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EPO
Quote Reply
Re: Best investment before HIM? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Aero helmet, fast tires, and a power meter.

I rather get durable and relatively fast tires. If you get a flat, no good!
Quote Reply
Re: Best investment before HIM? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arguably, that's a risk/reward analysis. The risk of getting a flat in a race is relatively minor. Yeah, it happens (and hopefully I didn't jinx myself for this weekend :P) but the reward of running a slower tire *all the time* (no flats... maybe... I've flatted Gatorskins before) is not worth IMO the 1 in 100 (or 1000 or 1XXXX) chance of a flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim coach. More pool time. Then you don't come out of the water trashed and in a panic because you're behind you're goal time. Then you go out and smash the bike thereby insuring you'll detonate on the run.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Best investment before HIM? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This made me laugh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ILoveMyTrinity wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
Any coach that only charges aud40 per month isn't going to be worthwhile. However I 100% agree that's the best investment.

I have a training plan that I purchased on TrainingPeaks - will that do? Coaches look extremely expensive from what I can see.

Duncan74 wrote:
Also tyres, latex tubes, massage and physio I'd put above those other things. And even more important quality food on a daily basis. Now we are coming into autumn there's more effort needed to eat fresh and avoid the comfort stodge.

All of this above a professional bike fit? From doing some reading online people make it out to be the best investment... Definitely food for thought, I will look into tyres (I am running tubeless at the moment).

Are you in Australia? I'm coached by Michelle Duffield, her cheapest program is AUS $37.50 a week which is very cheap.

TBH I think spending $400 on a bike fit is a waste of $$. Perhaps if you have some whacky body type or injury or something, but you do your own bike fit using various tools, apps etc or get a mate to give you a hand. Perhaps get a bike fit at some stage, but IMO I'd prioritise other stuff. If you're just starting out, a 12 week "cookie cutter" program from TrainingPeaks will be fine. The only problem with plans you buy is they don't take into consideration your strengths and weaknesses. You're running tubeless or tubular? If you're running tubeless what wheels do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: Best investment before HIM? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
And even more important quality food on a daily basis. Now we are coming into autumn there's more effort needed to eat fresh and avoid the comfort stodge.

fuuuuck all that bro

I already got my race breakfast planned out:

It starts at 2am

Pancakes, Bacon, Sausage Links, Pizza, Dr. Pepper, Cheese Its, Plain Pringles, Milk Chocolate with almonds, Double Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ben and Jerrys, Chick Fil A french fries, 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger, some hash browns and fried eggs, chick fil a cookies and cream milkshake (2), a couple cases of La Croix, 1lb of THC (plant based - you know)....

some funyons .. and some water

140.6 breakfast right thurrrrr

I typically eat a pan pizza and coke before a century ride ... shit tons of breadsticks - thats some premo carbs there, yo

What, no chocolate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ILoveMyTrinity wrote:
I have a few options in which I could invest my money into before a HIM and, later this year, a full IM.
They are:
- Professional bike fit (roughly $400);
- Wahoo Elemnt Bolt ($399);
- Deep (50mm) Chinese carbon wheel-set (roughly $650);

Prices are in AUD (0.71 USD).
Interested to see what you guys think.

I would say the investment should align with your goals. Is the goal to simply be faster on the bike? Wheels alone will only get you 2-3 minutes tops over a 56 mile bike ride. The fit can result in two to three times that (if not more) depending on how your current fit is. The Wahoo will only help if you use it adequately (structured workouts to improve FTP etc.). What helped me the most of the three you've listed was the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FOFOP middle aged age grouper here (no KQ level though)...

Took me years to figure out Comfort = Power = Speed.

So, if you are uncomfortable on the bike, bike fit for sure. Also, if you have any doubts on power output because of poor fit (or poor saddle choice, etc), then bike fit.

In terms of best training tool - power meter

In terms of best racing goodies for the bike ($ per watt) - I echo what others have said: aerohelmet, excellent tires (Conti GP4000 or 5000), latex tubes, gear to properly position your nutrition.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply

Prev Next