Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet Advice
Quote | Reply
I'm currently riding/racing on a Lazer Tardiz and from the threads I've been reading it appears that a new helmet may be some low hanging fruit for free speed. I've been trying to figure out which helmet to buy for this season. I plan on racing 1 IM, 1 70.3 and a handful of Oly distance races. I'm looking for something comfortable, not too hot and that won't leave my neck strained for days. Here are the ones that seem to be recommended based on google searching. I appreciate the help!

1. Smith Podium TT
2. Giro Aerohead MIPS
3. Lazer - Wasp Air, Tardiz 2, Victor
4. Kask - Bambino Pro
5. Louis Garneau LG P-09
6. Specialized S-Works
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pondered this for a while and read every post, complaint, and aero opinion I could find. I chose the P-09 because it is light and cool. The Aerohead may be the fastest for most people (i.e., unless you have access to a wind tunnel, you will have to gamble the helmet probabilities). However, the Aerohead was commonly cited for being very hot. I live in the south, and most of my races are hot. So, I decided to go with the cooler, but also likely fast, P-09.

The LG P-09 is also one of the lighter helmets, on par with a lot of road helmets. The Aerohead is very heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I pondered this for a while and read every post, complaint, and aero opinion I could find. I chose the P-09 because it is light and cool. The Aerohead may be the fastest for most people (i.e., unless you have access to a wind tunnel, you will have to gamble the helmet probabilities). However, the Aerohead was commonly cited for being very hot. I live in the south, and most of my races are hot. So, I decided to go with the cooler, but also likely fast, P-09.

The LG P-09 is also one of the lighter helmets, on par with a lot of road helmets. The Aerohead is very heavy.

Awesome, thanks! There's so much out there (I've also read a ton of it) but finding a simple/easy to understand summary doesn't seem to exist. I'm a front/middle pack racer and definitely won't be tucked in aero 100% of the time so just looking for something fast and comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both P-09 and Aerohead. My vote is Aerohead. I wear contacts and air comes through the visor more when I wear P-09, so I prefer Aerohead. Aerohead looks better, but P-09 is definitely lighter. I bought size Medium for both and P-09 fits better. Aerohead is bit tighter for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like wearing tt helmets that have a visor and having tried a fair number now I find it comes down to what you can endure for an Ironman without cooking your head on a warm day as most here in Australia are. Of your list the only ones are the Lazers and the LG. If you are in a cooler place and not wearing the visor your list could be bigger. I would consider the Kask Mistral over the Bambino.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
I'm currently riding/racing on a Lazer Tardiz and from the threads I've been reading it appears that a new helmet may be some low hanging fruit for free speed.

Going from a road helmet as a baseline to an aero helmet, it's usually cheap (but definitely not free) speed.

But from one aero helmet to another, is it even a measureable gain? Sure there are differences, but are they that significant on any scale that doesn't also involve personal wind tunnel testing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
I'm currently riding/racing on a Lazer Tardiz and from the threads I've been reading it appears that a new helmet may be some low hanging fruit for free speed. I've been trying to figure out which helmet to buy for this season. I plan on racing 1 IM, 1 70.3 and a handful of Oly distance races. I'm looking for something comfortable, not too hot and that won't leave my neck strained for days. Here are the ones that seem to be recommended based on google searching. I appreciate the help!

1. Smith Podium TT
2. Giro Aerohead MIPS
3. Lazer - Wasp Air, Tardiz 2, Victor
4. Kask - Bambino Pro
5. Louis Garneau LG P-09
6. Specialized S-Works

I have seen the Aerohead, LGP09 and Specialized get tested at the A2 tunnel on one rider. They were within .001 of each other
Then I saw the same 3 helmets on 2 world tour riders, outdoors with an aero device. Of those helmets, the Aerohead was fastest for one protour rider, the Sworks for the other.

Watch closely, you'll see Fuglsang with an Aerohead and a Spec as well as thweir sponsored helmet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFkNp73Vvyw
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 4, 19 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Smith Podium TT. It’s nice. I’m not sure how fast, but I’m not struggling on bike segments. I’m terms of heat, I used it for Chattanooga 70.3 in 2018. The heat index reached 100F that day. Obviously it wasn’t that hot while I was biking, but it was a hot and humid day. The visor did not fog.

I think it really comes down to preference with a lot of tri gear. None of the new aero helmets have long tails, so they’re all pretty efficient in reducing drag. I know the aerohead tests fast, but it’s hot and heavy. Something to think about for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any experience with the POC Cerebel? Not to hijack this thread, but I’m also thinking about getting a new aero helmet with a visor and the POC and Aerohead seem to keep rising to the top of my list. I’ve heard a lot about how the Aerohead can run hot and is heavy, but I haven’t heard as much about the Cerebel wrt heat, fogging, and weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience but by looking at it and what I have read it will be as hot as most of the others on that list. You may get away with it as many others in a 70.3 but I've done a few IM's that I learnt my lesson and just wanted to get that f@cking thing off my head. If you aren't in the US as I believe you have certification issues there I would think about the Met Coadatronca. Has the same great visor like an aerohead but much lighter. I have a Met Drone for several years and due to the volume of air around the face I find it fine on warm IM's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a kask k31 that I liked, and unfortunately I found out it gives good protection of the head too.

I was looking for a replacement and settled on a kask mistral after looking at lots you mentioned. It’s aero but not bulky with the huge tail like the k31. And I’ve only tried it outside a few rides so far but it seems to breathe well and is very comfortable. It’s just hard to find a place to buy it. Mine was shipped from a retailer in Italy that I finally found a good color at a decent price.
Quote Reply