Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one?
Quote | Reply
Only one #1 seed and not much in the way of blue bloods there this year (Michigan St and UVA may disagree, but they ain't Kansas, UNC, UK, or Duke). Do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but they ain't Kansas, UNC, UK, or Duke

That's why I'll be watching...
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Exactly...so tired of those "other" teams...looking for either Auburn or Tech to win the Championship.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

x2

Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How could it possibly be horrible? Four high-level teams remaining, all the schools that suck have been sent home.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Only one #1 seed and not much in the way of blue bloods there this year (Michigan St and UVA may disagree, but they ain't Kansas, UNC, UK, or Duke). Do you see that as a good thing or a bad thing?

State should have been a 1 seed and hopefully will prove that with 2 more wins.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is if Michigan State loses to TT, OR Virginia wins the title, I win $800.

I'll be watching. It's been years since a bracket of mine has been in it until the finals (precisely: 2002/03 Syracuse with Melo, I needed them to win the title to win $500 when I was a ridiculously poor college student...fair to say I was a Cuse/Melo fan far longer than I'd otherwise have been after that).

All that said, like it or not the big teams draw more fans; in the early rounds people love the upset, but when it gets to championship time they want to see the teams and players they've been hearing about all year. Outside of the hardcore fans people don't know much of anything outside of the 'big' teams, and while UVA and MSU have some cachet it's not on the same level of big guys, and Auburn/TT don't bring a ton to the table imo...whether or not it's exciting I think this'll be a pretty low-viewed final 4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michigan State MAY disagree? 8 Final Fours in 20 years. Yeah, they just aren't quite elite.

Any time the cheating coach at UK, UNC, and Duke all miss the Final Four it is a good year.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

As I'm an Auburn alum, hell yes it's a good thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's good to have new teams getting a shot but that's easy for me to say because my team is the one that is there pretty regularly.

I wish we could get some new blood in the football playoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Its a good one not a great one. I always like to see a mid-major team get in there and every analyst, ESPN newscaster and power 5 coach be confused about who this team is and ask "Who is George Mason?" "What state is Weber State in?" "What the hell is a Bilikin (St. Louis)", etc.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Apr 5, 19 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Michigan State MAY disagree? 8 Final Fours in 20 years. Yeah, they just aren't quite elite.

Didn't realize it was that many.. so over 20yrs MSU makes the final four almost every other year.

Yeah, not very elite.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every final 4 is great in its own way. If its blue bloods you get "the best of the best." If its others you get to hear stories about programs/coaches you normally wouldnt.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
All I know is if Michigan State loses to TT, OR Virginia wins the title, I win $800.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Any time the cheating coach at UK, UNC, and Duke all miss the Final Four it is a good year.

Yeh, they may disagree (like I said). I don't think most people who aren't MSU fans consider them a blue-blood program. Pretty sure they've won the NCAAT twice in their history and they're not even the most historical hoops school in their conference (that honor would go to Indiana, right?). But they're closer than TT and AU for sure, and even UVA, although UVA has a good hoops tradition in my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answering my own question, I think this is as wide-open a final 4 as there has been in a while and I love it.

If we applied the stupid football standard to this we'd have Duke, UNC, and Gonzaga in there with UVA and 3 of these teams would have never had a chance. Different sports, obviously, but the NCAA gets it a lot more right in hoops than they do in basketball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call Kentucky, Duke, UNC and Kansas the true bluebloods. Historically in but falling out would be UCLA and Indiana. I would put MSU in a tier just below that with Syracuse, Uconn, Nova etc. Spartan would have a pretty good argument to join the first group with a win Monday night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Answering my own question, I think this is as wide-open a final 4 as there has been in a while and I love it.

If we applied the stupid football standard to this we'd have Duke, UNC, and Gonzaga in there with UVA and 3 of these teams would have never had a chance. Different sports, obviously, but the NCAA gets it a lot more right in hoops than they do in basketball.

Because FBS isn't the NCAA ;)
In FCS, D1, D3 gridiron, the NCAA has an actual tournament and an actual national champion like they do in every other sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be great. I hope Auburn wins it all, just to spit in the NCAA's face. How soon we forget Chuck Pearson, who has pleaded guilty to the FBI. Go cheaters GO.

Really, I am pulling for TT. Big round ball fan here, and I am super happy to see some big time colleges get this far.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia escaped by the skin of their nose. Yes, it was a foul on Auburn. Yes, it was a double dribble that preceded that.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Virginia escaped by the skin of their nose. Yes, it was a foul on Auburn. Yes, it was a double dribble that preceded that.

Plus 1 to all

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auburn's coach was nothing but class in the post game interview
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did that dude just run back out? When he came down the sole of his shoe was facing up.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good comeback by Michigan St. It's going to be a close finish. Great final 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a great Final 4, or a horrible one? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suck it Sparty.

Go Hoos!

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply

Prev Next