Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Italian leather hiking boots. Currently Zamberlan

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempurpedic bed - had it for 10 years now and it feels bad to sleep on just about anything else now

Tiffany and Co - My fault that is the wife's favorite store now but they make some timeless items and everything we've gotten there we've gotten compliments on

Swarovski Optik - The binoculars and riflescopes have incredible glass. I've used cheaper stuff and ended up with headaches and going out West for elk having top quality glass makes such a difference

Sako and Benelli - not the most expensive firearms out there but certainly a step up from the crowd and I've had great experiences with each of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just replaced McIntosh tube amp and solid state Mcintosh Pre with all Cary Audio vacuum tube amp and preamp. This goes along with klipschorns and SVS ultra 16 subwoofer.. I prefer vacuum tubes and horn loaded speakers...
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
  • Footwear. I won't purchase shoes anymore unless they're of such quality that they can easily be resoled and are of high quality leather. It's more comfortable & they last far longer. Obviously sneakers & sandals are an exception to this, but even then I'm buying something built well & that should conform to my foot.
  • Bone conduction headphones. I can easily and safely listen to podcasts or music while I ride and still hear traffic. I don't have to have earbuds at full volume when mowing the lawn (pop ear plugs in and turn bone conduction to a level I can hear/feel what I'm listening to), and can listen to my own thing while I clean & the kids are playing, but still hear them when I need to.
  • Denim: Gustin denim is a good, reasonable price for high quality selvedge denim that breaks in with your body and lasts a long time. Well worth it.
  • Haircuts with the same person. This has always been worth it. Let's face it; I'm a 5'5" guy whose one fantastic physical attribute is the ability to grow a great head of hair. Gotta nurture what you've got. I mean, I have good eyes also, but the eyebrows grow like my head of hair, so....gotta keep that head of hair looking good for the lady.
  • Bikes (take that shit to the tri forum...). There's a point of diminishing returns for sure, but that point is well above entry level and well worth it. But if I had to go entry level, I'd pay a premium for a good saddle & bibs & shoes & tires/latex tubes.
  • Bluetooth speaker: I'm amazed at how good our little JBL Charge is for the little, portable speaker it is. So much better than the cheaper ones and it gets a ton of use in our house.
  • Steak: I can make a cheap steak taste great, but a good steak brings joy like nothing else. The whole family loves it. Worth every cent.
  • Books: Could get Kindle versions for 1/3 the cost, but I like how paper feels in hand and how it smells as it ages.
  • Socks & underwear: Never realized how much better good ones feel until I tried to go back. Never again.
  • Pillow: Premium doesn't take much here -- $30 to $50 -- but my neck is grateful.
  • Dishwasher: Had to replace ours, spent more on a nicer model of Bosch. Holy crap. Game changer.
  • Steelhead/trout rod: An extra $50 makes a huge difference here. A little more sensitive feel lets ya know the fish are subtly biting & lets ya know to set the hook and real them in. More fish caught = more fun = more fish dinners. $50 spent up front saves tons in the end.
  • One model up from the base model car: Just enough perks to make a difference, not enough to be unnecessary. Heated seats in Michigan winters bring so much joy.

Weren't you the guy who's hair dresser invited him to an orgy? No wonder you keep him/her around :-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Memphis Pro wood fired grill. I had a jennair SS gas that died after 12 years of use. Thought about getting a Weber and separate smoker, thought about getting a Traeger, ended up with the Memphis that was more than both combined. Best.investment.ever.

And my 2018 Ford Raptor. Horrible investment but Way too much fun with clothes on.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:
Memphis Pro wood fired grill. I had a jennair SS gas that died after 12 years of use. Thought about getting a Weber and separate smoker, thought about getting a Traeger, ended up with the Memphis that was more than both combined. Best.investment.ever.

And my 2018 Ford Raptor. Horrible investment but Way too much fun with clothes on.

Which model Memphis and what specifically do you love about it? My jenn-air needs replacing after 17 years good service. I’m thinking I want a pellet grill, but I’m not sold on traegers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
TAC wrote:

Which model Memphis and what specifically do you love about it? My jenn-air needs replacing after 17 years good service. I’m thinking I want a pellet grill, but I’m not sold on traegers.

I have this Memphis Pro...

https://memphisgrills.com/...-models/memphis-pro/

What do I love about it/ absolutely everything. Ease of use. Dual chambers for different pellet flavors (I combine hickory and either cherry or apple). Digital controller with built in WiFi and remote monitoring by smart phone. Multiple temp probes for setting different temps. Stainless steel for looks and easy cleanup.

There is nothing that it can’t cook or smoke. It will smoke a pork shoulder for 16 hours at 180 degrees that literally falls apart for pulled pork. Or swap out to the open flame insert and grill steaks at 650 degrees in mere minutes. I have grilled steaks (and loin roasts, prime ribs, and bone in racks), burgers, chicken, seafood and pizza on it. Also have smoked ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and made beef jerky on it.

I looked at the Traeger but their best model maxed at 450 degrees and didn’t do open flame. So that had me thinking about Weber and either a ceramic/BGE or electric smoker. Then I saw the Memphis.

There are other pellet grills that are close, but frankly they look like a redneck backyard smoke pit. The Memphis is a stainless steel piece of art on your deck.

As mentioned all of this is controlled and monitored by an app on your smart phone. My wife and kids can press a button to turn it on and set it and forget it. Smoking a brisket and want to go for a run? No worries - just set an alarm for it to text you when it hits the stall, then turn the heat up a little right from your phone and when you get back home you are past the wait and ready to finish the cook. Obviously being wood pellets, there is no gas flavor for anything cooked on it likeon a Weber.

Not to sound snobbish, but If you have the budget to do it you won’t regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My car - BMW 335i. It's over 10 years old now, but drives like a dream, and I get compliments on it all the time.
Custom suits and dress shirts - Bought several for my Embassy tour. Made to measure is so much better than off the rack (even if you tailor).
Watch - not super expensive, just a stainless Omega Seamaster, but no disappointment, and just feels better than a chincey feeling Walmart watch.
Headphones - Bose noise cancelling full ear headphones. So much better on airplanes than regular headphones. Well worthwhile.
TV - 60" Samsung HDTV. Love it.
Scotch - I typically don't spend a "premium" by Scotch standards (i.e. I'm not spending $500 or $1000 for a bottle), but I buy mostly single malt, and I have no problem spending a little more the get the bottle I want. I don't drink it everyday, but when I do, I don't want a half-assed liquor store blend.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Sonos. Everywhere.

Ipad Pro. Bought on release day. Hardly a day goes by when I don't use it and it is still fantastic. Money really well spent.

My suits. Bespoke British tailoring. Shamefully expensive but put a spring in my step.

Tempur mattress the top of the range one that is about 18" thick. Mrs 66 insisted. I was resistant. I was wrong.

My car. 6 litres of bright blue V12 loveliness that you can get a bike into the back of. Indulgent mid life crisis and I. Could. Not. Give. A. Fuck.

We have a Tempurpedic (cloud luxe I think) - like what you described about 18” thick of memory foam. Got home last night from a 9 day work trip and the minute I crawled into bed it was over. Naked wife had to wait until morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weber Grill (since apparently this is Premium)

All Clad Cookware

Bonobos clothing (slacks, shirts, blazer), I don't think this is super premium (cheaper than Brooks Brothers, but a little pricey), but very stylish and great cut if you are lean/fit. Basically all my work clothes

Bikes (OPEN UP Gravel bike, custom steel (Serotta) road bike). I would really like to add a custom Speedvagen to the stable, it is my current dream bike

Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Mar 18, 19 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on Western mountaineering bags, they are amazing and well worth the premium price. No gimmicks just a warm light sleeping bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kitchenaide stand mixer.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Kitchenaide mixer. My wife bought me one for Christmas and I use it all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom finally got a new Kitchenaide last fall. Hers was well over 40 years old. Still worked great. She just wanted one with a tilt head instead of the crank up.

I’ve had mine for almost 13 years and the thing is a work horse. I’m slowly getting into the homembaker game and secretly can’t wait until my 4-5 qt dies and I can get the 8 qt.... or just until I have a big enough kitchen and get the 8 qt Just because I can!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
My car. 6 litres of bright blue V12 loveliness that you can get a bike into the back of. Indulgent mid life crisis and I. Could. Not. Give. A. Fuck.

I'll bite. What the hell has a six litre V12 that you can get a bike into the back of?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

I'll bite. What the hell has a six litre V12 that you can get a bike into the back of?

Most likely a BMW 760 or Alpina B7. A luxobarge that can go 200+ mph. Makes no sense. Depreciation curve is direct inverse of its torque curve.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [West Side] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
West Side wrote:
Crank wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

Most likely a BMW 760 or Alpina B7. A luxobarge that can go 200+ mph. Makes no sense. Depreciation curve is direct inverse of its torque curve.

I did some research and I think it's a 2009 Audi Q7 TDI, which as a six-litre diesel V-12.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Denim - all selvedge, all the time
Shoes
Rain jacket
TSA Pre-check - everything about travel day is just easier
Delta Skyclub - see previous comment
Coach backpack - It makes me happy every time I pick it up
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
West Side wrote:
Crank wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

I did some research and I think it's a 2009 Audi Q7 TDI, which as a six-litre diesel V-12.

a Q7 TDI would be a 3 liter V6.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Crank wrote:
West Side wrote:
Crank wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

a Q7 TDI would be a 3 liter V6.

Don’t forget that they used the V10 TDI for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think that was only the touareg that got that powerplant? wish that was more reliable. a tuned v10 TDI is just a thing to behold.
Quote Reply
Re: What items you’ve paid a premium for And are happy about it [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breitling Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel (#383 of 2000)
Breitling Avenger Seawolf w/Cobra Yellow dial
Always amazed at the build quality when I wear one of them, like a little Swiss brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitamix blender... use it everyday, 10 years on, still going strong (I might've just jinxed it, tho)

MacBook Pro ... by far the best laptop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's inexpensive compared to what most people in here spend on a car I'm sure, but upgrading to my 2008 Forester XT and selling my 20 year old Honda Accord was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I pay a premium by actually having a monthly payment, paying more for insurance, paying more for gas, more on routine maintenance...

But it is more practical, I'm happier driving it, and I'm going to do my best to never sell it in my lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not usually a premium guy. I'm just too cheap.

Having said that, while there is a level above my drum set, I did get a professional model and it is nicer than just about anyone whom i've seen locally or played with. Definitely worth the $4K.

Other than that, there's my $4K bed that is too hot and my wife hates.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply

Prev Next