Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acetabular and tibial plateau fracture recovery
Quote | Reply
I'm in the tenth week of recovery from a backcountry ski crash that left me with a displaced hip socket fracture (required open fixation and internal reduction surgery) and a non-displaced knee fracture. Yes, the crash was epic! Physio for range of motion is underway and I am making great progress even though I am still 50% weight bearing for two more weeks.

This is the part I'm interested in hearing about. Once I get the go ahead to fully weight bear how long did it take for people to walk properly. How far off is running? I'm on a spin bike for now but how long until riding outside is an option? I expect to be in the pool the day I am cleared for takeoff. I do understand that everyone is on a different recovery path but any and all information will be helpful. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Acetabular and tibial plateau fracture recovery [lhardage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running is going to take the longest to return to. Ask your surgeons office if there is a protocol for your surgery you could keep as a guideline. If they don't have one, ask your physio on their recommendations. It could be another 3-4 months before you do some running comfortably so try and aqua jog in the mean time.
Quote Reply
Re: Acetabular and tibial plateau fracture recovery [wyowill1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for your reply. I have added the protocol to my list of questions. The pool running is an excellent idea. Time to buy an aqua belt and maybe a 5k Turkey trot in the fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it some time- on paper, you can ride outside almost as soon as you can ride a trainer.
But do you really want to be faced with making decisions and movements where you can barely clip out, or barely get a leg over the bike?
Ride the trainer 1st- until you are confident enough to go outside. You can build great fitness on the trainer.

Same for running- Give it time. If you have been on crutches, you will need to sort out your walking- The hip flexors on that side get really short and weak from having the leg in a non-weight bearing position. Plus muscles are weak!

Get the best PT you can afford- Work really hard at it.

Once you are cycling and running- Work on building leg strength/muscle and also speed and coordination.
I did an entire year of only doing weights with my affected leg.
Other good things to work on for bike are- leg speed (this goes when not riding for that long)- Cadence drills. 10 minute blocks at 100-110 rpm. Also short blocks of 130-140 rpm.
Leg strength- Single leg pedaling in a big gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a dislocated hip and acetabular fracture as well as spinal fusion surgery, which added a considerable complicating factor. I was able to get on spin bike after 6 weeks and in first day of PT weight bearing, my therapist nearly fell out of chair when I was able to walk on own. He chalked it up to all the spin action as well as diligently following PT routine.

I used one crutch for about 10 days until limp was minimal, and did a lot of walking around PT pool. Rode outside shortly after. Trick with latter was clipping out. You might want to look at SPD cleats or something that minimizes any twisting forces for a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Acetabular and tibial plateau fracture recovery [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for replying and you are spot on. I am having an issue with my hip flexor. I'm hoping it's just waking up and is very cranky as is my MCL. You can imagine the torque required to bend and break my tibia in a sideways direction. I am very fortunate to have a great physio and family to help with rehab and will definitely incorporate your suggestions into my strength training, thank you so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Acetabular and tibial plateau fracture recovery [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your story gives me great hope Carl, thank you. The twisting is an excellent point, I can't do it, so I'll probably have to go back to regular old pedals for a time. I can't wait to walk without assist, even if it is ugly :)
Quote Reply