Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trailer for the joker looks amazing
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walking Penis is one of best actors of our time.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks intriguing and twisted. DC might have good one here.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watched this earlier today - yep looks pretty deep and disturbing. :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What doesn’t work for Superman does work for Joker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was a little underwhelmed. didn't think it flowed very well or established much about what to expect.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good. Reminds me a little about the best clown revenge movie of all time. The Last Circus:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joaquin Phoenix is just crazy enough to pull it off,

Looks intriguing. Dark but funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i was a little underwhelmed. didn't think it flowed very well or established much about what to expect.
I felt the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that it's an interesting interpretation of the character for joker not to have a facial scar. That was part of his crazy and creepy.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
I think that it's an interesting interpretation of the character for joker not to have a facial scar. That was part of his crazy and creepy.

Facial scarring isn't really traditionally part of the Joker character. That kind of came out from The Dark Knight movie, but wasn't really a typical part of the character before then.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotham looks like "the city" in Se7en.

Joaquin has a cleft palate scar. They could have used that, but not in the current environment of "awareness".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC will still manage to fuck this up.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
DC will still manage to fuck this up.

The Dark Knight is still the best super hero movie ever. But then I prefer gritty stuff to cartoons like the avengers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks...

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Facial scarring isn't really traditionally part of the Joker character. That kind of came out from The Dark Knight movie, but wasn't really a typical part of the character before then.

Oh? Really?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting kinda tired of The Joker

When do The Smoker and The Midnight Toker get their turn?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Looks good. Reminds me a little about the best clown revenge movie of all time. The Last Circus:

Now that's entertainment!

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only Joker that I actually found scary was Heath Ledger's, and that's in large part to the fact that he had no backstory - or rather, his backstory kept changing. Darth Vader is a heck of a lot less scary once you know he was a whiny kid who was just prone to tantrums. Ledger's Joker was constantly shifting. You didn't know what he wanted. You didn't know what he was capable of. And you had no idea whether he was just crazy or was a pathological genius working a few levels above you.

Normally, a backstory can add a lot of depth to a villian - look at Thanos versus whatever the big monster guy was in Justice League. But Ledger's Joker was one of the rare times that a character was scarier not because he didn't have a backstory, but because he clearly did and you were being kept away from it.

This movie looks like it'll turn the Joker into an anti-hero, which seems so un-Jokery.

That said, I'll probably see it...
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a kid, I had the graphic novels "The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told" and "the Killing Joke". Unlike Marvel, DC was much more consistent with canon and back stories. Originally he was the Red Hood who fell in a vat of chemicals and became the joker. In the killing joke, he was an engineer turned standup comedian who failed. To make money for his pregnant wife, he assist some hoods to rob a company adjacent to his old employer. There each wear a red hood, but the robbery goes wrong with his accomplices dying. To escape batman and the law, he too ends up in a vat of chemical that permanently bleach his skin and create his other fatures. Make matters worse, his pregnant wife dies contributing to his insanity. The Burton Batman film borrowed heavily from the Red Hood, this one appears to borrow from the Killing Joke. I don't know where Ledger's joker came.

Killing Joke was written by Alan Moore, of V for Vendetta and Watchmen fame.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Mark Hamill is still the greatest Joker ever, no,offense to Mr. ledger.
Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ledger's Joker was constantly shifting. You didn't know what he wanted. You didn't know what he was capable of. And you had no idea whether he was just crazy or was a pathological genius working a few levels above you.

That matches typical Joker background in the comics. Part of the weirdness of Joker is that we don't really know where he came from or why. There are multiple origins in the comics, and Joker says in one that he prefers for his past to be multiple choice.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Trailer for the joker looks amazing [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
slowguy wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Oh? Really?

Not scarring. That's chemically induced perma-smile, which is more in line with traditional Joker lore.

Slowguy

Quote Reply