Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp NSW tubeless tire choice
Quote | Reply
I have sets of the new tubeless ready Zipp NSW wheelsets in 404 and 808 depth. Has anyone seen any comparative data on Zipp's own Tangente Speed tubeless vs the new GP5000 tubeless? Does anyone have any experience running the 5000TL with Zipp NSWs? Does the combo work well?

I've been training on my 404s using Zipp's Tangente Speed RT25s with good success. Several hundred training miles on mediocre roads. No flats yet. The ability to run 10-15 lower PSI make a bigger differnce in comfort and grip than I expected. I like it.

So I'm thinking of going tubeless as well for my 808 race day wheels, which are currently running Attack/Force. I'm debating between the Zipp and GP5000TL tires. On one hand, I'm thinking go Zipp / why mess with a good thing and combo is working well. On the other hand, am I leaving a few watts on the table by not running Conti's latest/greatest?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp NSW tubeless tire choice [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I have sets of the new tubeless ready Zipp NSW wheelsets in 404 and 808 depth. Has anyone seen any comparative data on Zipp's own Tangente Speed tubeless vs the new GP5000 tubeless? Does anyone have any experience running the 5000TL with Zipp NSWs? Does the combo work well?

I've been training on my 404s using Zipp's Tangente Speed RT25s with good success. Several hundred training miles on mediocre roads. No flats yet. The ability to run 10-15 lower PSI make a bigger differnce in comfort and grip than I expected. I like it.

So I'm thinking of going tubeless as well for my 808 race day wheels, which are currently running Attack/Force. I'm debating between the Zipp and GP5000TL tires. On one hand, I'm thinking go Zipp / why mess with a good thing and combo is working well. On the other hand, am I leaving a few watts on the table by not running Conti's latest/greatest?

I have experience with the 303 NSW which has a larger internal rim width designed for 28c tires. First ran the Zipp Tangente Speed RT28. These mount up great and rolled good. Speculation online is that these are made by Hutchinson for Zipp as they list Made in France.

Next ran the Schwable Pro One 28c. This tire also mounted up great and has proven performance. I've also been running this on a set of Enve SES 4.5AR's with good success.

Recently switched out the Pro One for the GP5000TL. Mounted up great and rolls well. Not a lot of miles yet.

Going from BRR testing the 5000TL rolls 2 to 3 watts better than the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TL and the Schwable Pro One.

For straight-up TT's the Corsa Speed TLR would provide a bit more speed with the downside being durability. I have run this tire with latex at 70.3 distances with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp NSW tubeless tire choice [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anything short of an all-out fast and short TT effort, where yaw angle will be low, I would choose the 5000s. It is a very, very good all around tire and you pretty much have to be willing to gamble on longevity/durability to run the Vittoria TLR.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp NSW tubeless tire choice [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Good to hear the 5000TL mates well with the NSW wheels.

I’m not especially interested in running the Corsas. I’ve run the clincher variant and experienced an unprecedented spike in flats. I like some puncture protection. I realize that the speed difference can be enough to “pay for” a flat in a long course race, but flatting in a race just throws me out of my rhythm and ruins my headspace.

For me, it’s more a question of the Zipp tires vs the GP5000.
Quote Reply