Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMTX
Quote | Reply
I'm 26 days away from Ironman Texas and have been training for this race for a while. My training has had some bumps due to illness, injury and job and I am concerned that I will not make the bike cut off. Regardless, I will get out there and give it everything I've got, but still trying to keep a "what-if" plan in mind.

IF I am pulled from the course, do I wait a year or two, lose more weight (down 40 pounds) and get myself quicker and try again or do I sign up for another one at the end of the year before losing fitness? Right now, I anticipate my swim around 1:45, Bike, I average 13-14 miles an hour on rides over 80 miles so 8ish on the bike and planning on a 15 min mile run.

I do have a coach, but I don't want her to know how freaked out I am about this.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I'm also doing IMTX. Holy bats 26 days...

I am glad you're going to give it everything you've got out there! I hope your training will pay off for you on race day. Many people don't make the various cutoffs for so, so many reasons. Migraine onset on the swim. Double flat on the bike. Severe cramp (or worse) on the run. There are many, many variables that are recognizable, but out of our control on race day. The best thing you can do is focus on the variables you CAN control.

Talk to your coach. They know you waaaaay better than any internet stranger. And if not, time to find a new coach. Seriously, you should be able to have this conversation with them. Your coach should know how you operate, what your strengths and limits are, and analyzing your milestone workouts to see if you're ready to do this. And if you aren't, have a good idea for when you will be.

Personally, if I had reservations making the bike cutoff on the second flattest IM bike course in North America (IMFL being the first by about 500 feet), I wouldn't jump into a next one without doing some serious soul-searching and figuring out how not to invest several months and thousands of dollars towards setting myself up for potential failure right away. But that's me. Maybe I'd try several Half Iron distance races before attempting the Full Monty again, to see how much I could tamp down my limitations. Maybe I'd do a year of very specific training for my weaknesses, like work with a USA Cycling coach or a local track/run club coach. Maybe I'd ask myself why the full distance is so important to me, and use that as fuel to get myself there. But I only know how I operate, and these are variables that only you can control.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Thank you so much for your words of wisdom! I'm going to continue to give it my all and maybe I'll have the race of my life in 24 days!

I appreciate what you said about working on my limitations. Investing all this time training for a race and stressing out about making the cut off is more exhausting than racing itself. I find that I stopped enjoying the sport when this reality sunk in, if that makes sense.

Anyways, thank you for advice and have an awesome race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at any pace chart available on the web and from my experience (see my sig line ;-), you should be fine! Congratulations on your weight loss as well.

If the wheels come off (metaphorically) on race day, "get back on the horse" and try again ASAP. Nothing is gained by losing fitness if you are on a weight loss track and you are likely to finish in 16 hours, if not better.

Race day has a way of bringing out speed you didn't know you had, especially when you're being chased by the clock. This I know from many Ironman race experiences. Do everything you can to avoid a bike mechanical problem, as that is not something you can afford.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a coach, talk to her/him. That is why you pay them. You have to tell them how you are feeling, as this plays a HUGE role in doing an Ironman Triathlon. It is all about the physical but SO MUCH more with the mental aspects.

Last year, I worked with an athlete and my biggest concern for her was the run cut off, which you need to be done at 9:50 PM at mile 17. She was pulled at mile 15 due to medical issues.

Please. Please. Talk to your coach. And focus on what you can control heading into IMTX. To finish that RACE so you don't have to worry about doing another one!

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to say that you all for your feedback. I talked with my coach and she was very reassuring. Had an awesome swim, and started strong on the bike. I, unfortunately, DNF'ed at mile 40ish on the bike. Just a combo with the headwind and overpasses, it was just too much and I was medically pulled.

It's really disappointing, but at the same time a blessing. I am more so now motivated than I have ever been and want to go for it in 2020.

I do need to figure out how to get this weight off of me. Still sitting about 40 pounds over, and work on my cycling. I'm down 50, but have been stuck here for a while.

Saturday, though not the outcome I wanted, was definitely a day that changed me and made me stronger. I got a taste of what Ironman feels like and now, I really, really want it.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply