Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that I did Ironman Zurich, but now I have another reason to go back to Switzerland. Any thoughts on this change?

https://www.tri247.com/...rland-relocates-thun
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow! That new place is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. 10000x better than Zurich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the Ironman name soon be attached to a multisports festival?

From the tri247.com article: “We are incredibly grateful for 23 years of IRONMAN racing in Zurich and would like to thank all of our supporters, friends, volunteers and sponsors. Our team is very much looking forward to bringing IRONMAN racing to Thun and we are working hard to make the transition a seamless one,” said Nico Aeschimann, Regional Operations Manager for IRONMAN. “However, the move will not be a goodbye. We are currently planning to create a multi-sports festival in Zurich starting in 2020.”
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 3, 19 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it looks stunning. I've traveled to Switzerland for Powerman Zofingen and IM Zurich. Might have to go again in the future!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that and wondered exactly what that will consist of. More likely it will be independent or tied to a bid for a future ITU Multisport Festival World Championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Oh wow! That new place is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. 10000x better than Zurich.

Agreed. I'd even add a couple of zeroes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget they have a 5150 race in Zurich, which will stay since it is not mentioned in the article.

Have to say that's an awesome new location for the full
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm wondering if this will kill events like the inferno.

plenty of climbing around thun, that's for sure . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i'm wondering if this will kill events like the inferno.

plenty of climbing around thun, that's for sure . . .

Can't speak to other events since I live in Florida, but I'm all for climbing to keep the riff-raff at bay. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved Zurich. My first ever Ironman. Love that bike course (with 2 stretches of over 30k flat as a pancake. and the water on the swim was the cleanest I've ever seen. (Run... not so much though I think they made it better since I did it.)

How is the Hotel scene around Thun? One nice thing about Zurich was there were plenty of hotels.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As did I! I did my first and 3rd IM in Zurich and always had a fondness for the race and the city. Was thinking of going back for my 20th IM...

What year did you race it?

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2016 ... 20th anniversary edition with the run course through the city. It was effing hot but a fantastic race. I have no idea about the hotel scene in Thun but the missus is on board for another trip. The schedule is full for a few years so this is tentatively a 2022 race.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 3, 19 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tempting. Wish it was a week later.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Switzerland changing venues in 2020 [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
As did I! I did my first and 3rd IM in Zurich and always had a fondness for the race and the city. Was thinking of going back for my 20th IM...

What year did you race it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, I did in 2008 and 2009!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I loved Zurich. My first ever Ironman. Love that bike course (with 2 stretches of over 30k flat as a pancake. and the water on the swim was the cleanest I've ever seen. (Run... not so much though I think they made it better since I did it.)

How is the Hotel scene around Thun? One nice thing about Zurich was there were plenty of hotels.

likely a lot of spillover into interlaken, which has a pretty boppin' tourist market.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been over 15 years since I was last in Thun. What an amazing spot. Hopefully I'll get to this race in the coming years.

P.
Quote Reply