Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
John Kelly @RndmForestRunnr

"Thank you so much for the #BM100 support. Long story short: I quit. I was good on time, felt strong, conditions were (relatively) good. But I know what 5 loops takes, & realized I don't have that motivation anymore. And I was no longer having fun. Sorry for any disappointment"

I was showing somebody the video of him winning last year. After he finished, it looks like he has no idea who or where he is for quite a while. Like somebody waking up from being knocked out from a concussion. It's not a good place to be.

The problem is training for something like that without beginning to hate it. If you're burned out, then every second is another reason to quit after about 10 hours or so of that insanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet if he hadn't finished it before, he'd have kept going. But once you did achieve something like that, just repeating isn't enough to warrant going that deep. Which tells us all a thing about how hard this race must be, mostly that it is made that extreme just for the sake of it. If it were organized with the option to use navigation or even arrows to point out the course, it probably would not be all that insane anymore (for the seasoned runners anyway, the course still sounds damn hard for even 1 loop).
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
I bet if he hadn't finished it before, he'd have kept going. But once you did achieve something like that, just repeating isn't enough to warrant going that deep. Which tells us all a thing about how hard this race must be, mostly that it is made that extreme just for the sake of it. If it were organized with the option to use navigation or even arrows to point out the course, it probably would not be all that insane anymore (for the seasoned runners anyway, the course still sounds damn hard for even 1 loop).

Of course. Because everything else about the race is sane. :-/
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, still insane, but the big mental issue is usually that they lose hours finding the book, running in circles. So getting some navigation help for that would take a lot of uncertainty away. Remember they can be out there at night coming from opposite directions than before so doing the loop 4 times already might not help that much as you'd hope and you'd still lose most time looking for those small clues.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're absolutely right in both posts.

Though it's the spirit of the race to make everything difficult, impractical and unpredictable. The challenge isn't just the difficulty of the course, but as per your example, the ability to cope with uncertainty and the unforeseen, from before the conch to however long the runner may be out there.

There's so many ways to make the race "easier" or "saner", but the biggest surprise Laz could ever do, would be to make a change that actually did so.
Quote Reply
Re: Barkley Marathons start this weekend [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newly dropped

Quote:
#NickySpinks #BarkleyMarathons #LastWomenStanding
In 2019, inov-8 ambassador and breast cancer survivor Nicky Spinks attempted to become the first-ever woman to complete The Barkley Marathons - the world's toughest ultra-running race. This film tells the story of Nicky, and her fellow female runners, as they battle treacherous terrain, wild weather and the twisted mind of Barkley Marathons organiser, Lazarus Lake.

* There's a disclaimer on there that Laz let Nicky run with an audio recorder, and some of the shots "on course" were recreated elsewhere and afterwards #fixitinpost

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next