Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iceland Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm planning a trip to Iceland for a week this August.

I'll likely be there about 3 days alone before the rest of the group shows.

We'll be staying in Reykjavik for the second half of the week.

Any recommendations on things to do solo before they arrive?

Stay in Reykjavik, or look to stay elsewhere for a few days?

Would like to do some things outside the city and also plan to spend maybe a day just walking around if worthwhile.

I searched and found a thread about a year old, so hoping for some updated info.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Iceland Recommendations [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worked there for about 6 weeks. If you like something different take a hike to glymur (sp?) About a 30 minute drive outside Reykjavik and a 5km technical hike to the highest year round waterfall. Not something groups often do and gives you a good feel for the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should definitely rent a car and get out of Reykjavik. I found the city pretty boring and it’s a shame that many tourists spend their whole time there. There are fantastic hiking opportunities about one hour drive outside the city or drive 4-5 hours north to the north West Point where it’s really spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there in August two years ago when my wife did the Reykjavik Marathon and we had a few days post-race to play tourist. I'll echo what the others have said and recommend driving outside of Reykjavik where you'll have three days to kill (you really only need one day in the city itself to walk around). You can do Pingvellir National Park and then head out to Geysir in the same day. Can also head down to Vik.

I also agree on the hot dogs!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Iceland Recommendations [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
You should definitely rent a car and get out of Reykjavik. I found the city pretty boring and it’s a shame that many tourists spend their whole time there. There are fantastic hiking opportunities about one hour drive outside the city or drive 4-5 hours north to the north West Point where it’s really spectacular.
Exactly and bring trail mix because food in the island is not right. The water slide in Reykjavik is fun and warm so take your swimsuit.

Quote | Reply
Contact one of the guide services and check out the glaciers.
https://www.cnn.com/...-run-trnd/index.html
Quote Reply