Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data
Quote | Reply
The lineup of Graphene 2.0 tires has been out for some time and still no rolling resistance data. Either that, or it exists and it's being hidden from view (at least from mine, I can't find anything every). So many unanswered questions.

Is the 2.0 version of the Corsa Speed TLR even faster than the original?

Is the GP 5000 TLR the fastest "everyday" tire or is it the Corsa G2.0 TLR?

What about the rest of the Graphene 2.0 lineup, how much faster is it than the originals?

If we need to crowdfund this, let's get it started.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up that I've ordered one of each of these tires and should be able to roller test them sometime in the next week or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a part of the tester program, I got a pair of 25mm Corsa Graphene 2.0 tires. I have one in the box still as it was a bit wide for my Nitrogen Pro, it's available for testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to take a leap of faith with some armchair logic:

If the tires were faster than the new conti stuff, vittoria marketing would be all over this by now. Apples to apples of course.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Apr 1, 19 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria makes a huge claim that Graphene 2.0 tires have 40% less rolling resistance when compared to the first generation. Until someone proves me wrong, I find this claim very hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Vittorias have always ridden well, but durability and puncture resistance?

I found the Terreno CX tires with Graphene good, but not great.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how the grip though...

CorsaSpeed scared me with lack of grip .. I would only use them in the heat of summer
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on Pro Ones for three years now and while I'm quite pleased with their dry grip, they can be be pretty sketchy when wet. Thankfully I live in SoCal and am quite soft and stay indoors when there is a threat of drizzle, but on the few occasions where I've ended up riding on wet roads, the Pro Ones were less than confidence inspiring.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the press release closely, graphene 2.0 was already being used in the Corsa and Corsa speed. It just expanded to nearly the entire line, which makes sense that their tires took a big leap forward in RR when the new corsa and corsa speed were released.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [Nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in the press release does it say that? I don’t see it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/27/vittoria-claims-big-performance-gains-with-graphene-2-0-tires/

Seems it was only the topend corsa and corsa speed that had it and it has been expanded to rest of the line.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [Nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are interpreting incorrectly. They are just saying the 2.0 versions of the Corsa and Speed are currently available. It was right before the photo below:

Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any data yet?

I'm thinking either vittoria corsa graphene 2.0 or conti 5000 to put on my HEDs...
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [Triingfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think data is coming soon.

But the graphene 2.0 might not be the best option for training. Vittoria graphene v1 is well know for not having a huge lifecycle.

They claims that the v2 is better in every aspect less durability. I ran 1100 km on my last pair of v1 .... so i wouldnt expect this ones expect those to be all round :)

Just my take on the claims....
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Just a heads up that I've ordered one of each of these tires and should be able to roller test them sometime in the next week or two.

Any update on this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen some emails from Hed recommending the 5000 as the fastest current tire on their wheels

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Any update on this?
Yeah, I finally tested the 2.0 tires last night and they were *identical* in CRR to the 1.0 tires, so no changes there.

Since it was mentioned above, I also tested the GP5000 and GP5000TL (both with latex tubes because I didn't want to bother with setting up tubeless, and also coincidentally on Hed rims). The 5000s are very good but still ~3w slower than the Corsa Speeds (with the 5000TL an additional ~3w slower, though also seemingly more robust).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 watts per tyre with one watt error is up to 8 watt savings per bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
3 watts per tyre with one watt error is up to 8 watt savings per bike?
Sorry - no that's 3 watts for 2 tires at 40kph, so not huge.

Also I don't think the error is even one watt, at least when comparing across tires in one testing session. I've never tried to calculate the sd of the error, but I run the test twice on each tire and always get the same answer. (I mainly run it twice to make sure I didn't screw anything up and to make sure the tire was fully heated up before the test - also if there's a weird result I remount the tire and clean everything and try again, but that almost never happens.) There would be some error that's due to the power meter, but I use the same power meter at the same point in time, same temperature etc, so that error should be the same for all the tires I test on a given night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to have a scientific and thorough myth buster source! Do you have a site?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
...with the 5000TL an additional ~3w slower, though also seemingly more robust.

More robust? How so?
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
More robust? How so?

It has the lower tpi casing so probably stiffer sidewalls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Yeah, I finally tested the 2.0 tires last night and they were *identical* in CRR to the 1.0 tires, so no changes there.

Thanks for the info, but damn.. was hoping for an improvement. I heard 3rd hand of someone else getting the same result. Have you ever tested the Pista? Thinking that might be the best choice if you aren't doing tubeless anyway.

When you say 3W at 40kph vs GP5000, what is the weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Graphene 2.0 Rolling Resistance Data [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
lanierb wrote:
...with the 5000TL an additional ~3w slower, though also seemingly more robust.

More robust? How so?

In addition to what rruff said, it's a touch thicker as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingfrog wrote:
Any data yet?

I'm thinking either vittoria corsa graphene 2.0 or conti 5000 to put on my HEDs...

I'd go with the Contis. I got a set of the 2.0 TLRs (not speeds) and they feel slow. The treads also cut easily and I hit something and blew a hole on in the center of the tread. I have no idea what it was but I've never had that happen before. I was out of town so I booted the tire. I pulled them off as soon as I got home.

I did some A-B roller testing. They rolled way slower than the Corsa Speed Tubular I compared them too. I'm not going to drop any numbers, but there was a significant difference.

I wanted them to work, because I like the speeds so much. The TLR casing is just thick. Not sure why they didn't just overlay a thicker tread on the speed casing.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next