Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lane Swimming/Masters Swimming in Berlin Germany
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Usually I get good recommendations from the folks on ST. I'll be in Berlin next week (actually arriving on the weekend) and would like to get some solid swim sessions in while there.

My hotel is in the Potsdamer Platz area, so anything nearby or via public transit would be great. If any of you are part of a club that I could crash, that would be fun too.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Lane Swimming/Masters Swimming in Berlin Germany [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, hoping some of you can help me with suggestion with Berlin. We got Munich covered in the other thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Lane Swimming/Masters Swimming in Berlin Germany [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul - I swam here when I was in Berlin: Sport - und Lehrschwimmhalle Schonberg - it was the only pool I could find with lap swim times that worked for me. It was a pretty quick Uber trip from the city center. There were no lane lines (bottom of the pool is lined though), you need exact cash (3,50 EU), the locker rooms were clean and quite nice. People of all paces were swimming, faster people tended to be near the middle.

Also, if you need a track workout, you can pay to get on the grounds of the Olympic Stadium and the track is open - and very nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Lane Swimming/Masters Swimming in Berlin Germany [aforsyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aforsyth wrote:
Hey Paul - I swam here when I was in Berlin: Sport - und Lehrschwimmhalle Schonberg - it was the only pool I could find with lap swim times that worked for me. It was a pretty quick Uber trip from the city center. There were no lane lines (bottom of the pool is lined though), you need exact cash (3,50 EU), the locker rooms were clean and quite nice. People of all paces were swimming, faster people tended to be near the middle.

Also, if you need a track workout, you can pay to get on the grounds of the Olympic Stadium and the track is open - and very nice!

Wait, did you say that you can run on the 1936 Olympic Stadium track....like the same stadium that Jesse Owens won the 100m, 200m, 4x100m and long jump at (before Carl Lewis did it again in 1984)?

That is sooooo cool, cause I just started running again. I'll need to check both out. I have some time free on Sunday before work starts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best pool for lap swimming is Europasport pool at Landsberger Allee. It’s open until 10pm and has lanes. The pool is 50m but can be crowded. Another pool that is popular is Gartenstraße but it only has two lanes and the shallow end is only one metre deep. This pool is beautiful (see Jan Frodeno’s instagram) but is full of head up breast stroke swimmers and is best avoided.

Unfortunately there is nothing around Potsdamer Platz. If you’re willing spend a bit more money (20€ I think) you can swim in the 25m private pool at Holmes Place Ost Kreuz. That’s where my husband swims and he often has a lane to himself.

The masters scene in Berlin isn’t great. There are many clubs but the level of intensity is low and I’m yet to find a group that uses pace times.

Look on the website for Berliner Bäder Betrieb, it has a list of all the Public Pools and opening times and let me know if you need help.
Quote Reply
Re: Lane Swimming/Masters Swimming in Berlin Germany [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
The best pool for lap swimming is Europasport pool at Landsberger Allee. It’s open until 10pm and has lanes. The pool is 50m but can be crowded. Another pool that is popular is Gartenstraße but it only has two lanes and the shallow end is only one metre deep. This pool is beautiful (see Jan Frodeno’s instagram) but is full of head up breast stroke swimmers and is best avoided.

Unfortunately there is nothing around Potsdamer Platz. If you’re willing spend a bit more money (20€ I think) you can swim in the 25m private pool at Holmes Place Ost Kreuz. That’s where my husband swims and he often has a lane to himself.

The masters scene in Berlin isn’t great. There are many clubs but the level of intensity is low and I’m yet to find a group that uses pace times.

Look on the website for Berliner Bäder Betrieb, it has a list of all the Public Pools and opening times and let me know if you need help.

I will be flexible for time on Sunday and Monday morning to just take public transport and get to a good pool. Tue-Wed, the biz schedule is kinda packed, so plan to jog from the hotel. I will research some of these spots and report back! Thanks
Quote Reply