Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

battery powered smart bike trainer?
Quote | Reply
I just jumped on the smart trainer bandwagon. But not being able to use it away from an outlet seems like somewhat of a downside. For example last fall I'd take my 15+ year old fluid trainer and my bike to my kid's theater rehearsals and get in a 1 or 2 hr workout in the parking lot while I waited. Can't do that with most of the new smart trainers as far as I can tell. I read that the tacx neo can use the motor-brake as a generator so you don't need to be plugged in for 95% of the functionality, but most others as far as I can tell don't do much as far as the smart/interactive perspective. They just default to 100 or so watts resistance when not powered on.

I was thinking a battery power pack could be useful if it could provide the full functionality. Is this of interest to anyone else? My plan is to cobble together something from various ebay purchases and try it out on my new trainer (elite direto). But if others are interested, if it works, I could write up and post the details. All my ebay purchases are from china so it could be a month or two before I get the parts and have the time to do the tinkering.
Quote Reply
Re: battery powered smart bike trainer? [sebetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that most of them run off a step-down DC transformer, I'm sure a battery would be easy enough.

But I'd just buy a Tacx Bushido.

BTW if your kids are occupied and supervised, why not just go for a 2 hour ride somewhere instead?
Quote Reply
Re: battery powered smart bike trainer? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snow, rain, nighttime - all reasons why the parking lot seemed like a better option...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good.
I like the idea to be able to fire up my kickr and do a structured warmup before a TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're training in the parking lot all the time, I'd stick to the old fluid trainer for those rides and keep the smart one at home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Tacx Satori Smart (possibly discontinued?) - its 2 years old and doesn't need a power supply - it connects with Zwift etc but the resistance is controlled by a lever you connect onto your bars - it can't be controlled from a training app (so no erg mode either)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello TACX Neo doesn’t require electricity to operate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a small inverter? I carry a 400W one in my car all the time (had it forever).

You can buy battery packs that have inverters built in as well. I have one I bought years ago for recharging camera equipment when I was camping. (I have never used the one I linked to -- it was the first I found and linked to it as an example).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something like this might work for Wahoo and Elite trainers (and maybe others) that use 12 VDC. You would just need a direct adapter cable.

https://www.amazon.com/...geable/dp/B0087HW5YM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this Goal Zero Sherpa 50 somewhere in my garage. I think that would work. I'll give it a try next time I find it.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: battery powered smart bike trainer? [sebetri]( [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The STAC Halcyon (https://www.staczero.com/specs) has rechargeable battery on it that would probably do what you are asking.
Quote Reply
Re: battery powered smart bike trainer? [sebetri]( [A vdLinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to post this as well. I got the Halcyon last summer. Throughout the fall and winter I took it to my friends house so we could ride together while indoors. It's incredibly portable, took all of 30 seconds to fold up and put in my car.

There have been times where I've forgotten to plug it back in upon returning home and done a few more rides before remembering to charge it up. Never had an issue with the battery. All my indoor rides are between 1-2 hours.

They market the quietness very well, I never understood why they don't focus just as much on the portability of the unit. I'm planning on using it in warmup for every race this year.
Quote Reply
Re: battery powered smart bike trainer? [ppkestrel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ppkestrel wrote:
Hello TACX Neo doesn’t require electricity to operate!

Bingo!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply