Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long from untrained to half distance?
Quote | Reply
All,
My last Ironman was 11 years ago, and I've probably put 30 extra pounds on since, with a relatively sedentary life.

My question is: how long do you think it would take to get enough fitness to get back and finish a 1/2 distance?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: How long from untrained to half distance? [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finishing? Or training "smart" safely and thus having a good experience?

I'd give yourself ~6 months (essentially 1 full tri season including just some "basic" training and then some specific long distance sets.

But if your asking min standard, you could probaly do it in 3 months...would you enjoy it or have a good experience- probaly not.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 2, 19 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking something similar, only my last IM was 7 yrs ago, I've been able to get the weight back down and have been fairly active. I'm still thinking 6 months if I want to do it injury free so am aiming for September...

The biggest problem, if you have an IM background IMO, is that your mind will try and write cheques your body can't cash...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you're leaving out something. Is there a half distance triathlon you are aiming for? why not just get started swimming, biking, and running a bit to start getting your fitness back? no time like the present.
Quote Reply
Re: How long from untrained to half distance? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently doing just that: phasing in the SBR again, but I feel like I need a target to motivate.

I was looking at Muncie, but that's only 3.5 months. Seems too close. Maybe some olympics instead
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is what I am doing it right now. just bought a bike and putting some miles in... Also spending some time at gym to get some muscles back in order to prevent injures and inside the pool. As I am 27 pound heavier, I am not running just yet...but will restart soon! not thinking racing now.... just get off this extras pounds and put some fitness in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience probably 10-12 months. I lost 50 lbs and finished my first half 11 months later. I did about 4 smaller races in between starting with a sprint 3 months into it. I went 5:30 which is not fast but a decent result for someone who couldn't run a mile 11 months before. I was 31 at the time.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gave myself 8.5 months from untrained. My A race is Traverse City end of Aug. with two sprints in the summer. I started my plan in December. Pretty happy with the progress so far and have no doubt I'll have fun racing the half. Looking for 5:30ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think couch to 70.3 in 6 months is completely reasonable assuming your have some “miles in the bank” from when you were younger. In 2017, when coming back from injury, I went from years off (just random light cardio and light weights in gym 3-4x week) to full IM in 7 months. I started with 3 months of prep work, lots of PT, glute strengthening, getting more core solid. Olympic after 4 months, HIM after 5, IM after 7. I was coming off a fairly deep endurance base having run my first 13.1 at 13 and marathon at 16. My times were only so-so but it was fun and gave me the motivation I needed. Only injury was some minor shoulder stuff that went away with a cortisone injection. I’d say go for it. Just be smart, listen to your body, don’t expect to PR, and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can comfortably swim the distance within the cutoff, you could most likely finish a Half Ironman tomorrow (as mentioned by plant_based). It would probably mean walking the majority of the run leg, you'd get saddles sores from the bike and generally not enjoy the event at all.

Setting an overly ambitious target after a break can often lead to injury because you feel the pressure to get in the mileage. I would target Sprint Distance triathlons. They will give you a good idea of where your current speed and endurance sits. From there you can choose when to progress to Olympic and then Half Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long from untrained to half distance?

Probably between 6 and 7 hours if you're really desperate.
Quote Reply
Re: How long from untrained to half distance? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobInOz wrote:
If you can comfortably swim the distance within the cutoff, you could most likely finish a Half Ironman tomorrow (as mentioned by plant_based). It would probably mean walking the majority of the run leg, you'd get saddles sores from the bike and generally not enjoy the event at all.

Setting an overly ambitious target after a break can often lead to injury because you feel the pressure to get in the mileage. I would target Sprint Distance triathlons. They will give you a good idea of where your current speed and endurance sits. From there you can choose when to progress to Olympic and then Half Ironman.

Great point and you have illuminated to me why so many times I've injured myself "on the comeback"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Floating Debris wrote:
I'm currently doing just that: phasing in the SBR again, but I feel like I need a target to motivate.

I was looking at Muncie, but that's only 3.5 months. Seems too close. Maybe some olympics instead

Yea, don't do that to yourself. Take this season to do a few Olympics and get yourself back to the routine of training. Look at a 70.3 for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: How long from untrained to half distance? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started training again this past January after being off since last July. Bike was going well, run coming along (5 miles comfortably), swimming fine... and then I got a calf strain. I haven't run in over a month, but keep spinning and swimming.
Tried a light jog tonight and made it about 3/4 a mile before my calf started to hurt (and stopped).
I have CdA 70.3 on June 30th, so I'm really trying to balance how 'short' a time I will be able to train and finish mid-pack.

You've done it before, you know what it feels like. Start moving, but don't over do it. I think 6 months should be good to get it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Floating Debris wrote:
All,
My last Ironman was 11 years ago, and I've probably put 30 extra pounds on since, with a relatively sedentary life.

My question is: how long do you think it would take to get enough fitness to get back and finish a 1/2 distance?

Thank you.

3 months would be enough for a full distance. So probably like 6 weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, awesome and good for you to get back in the lifestyle. As mentioned I agree with the 6 months as a good time frame. Could you do 3.5 and finish, probably but I think you might not enjoy it and also the risk of injury from running with the extra weight would. E my concern. I do think your idea of the Oly first is excellent. Again, great for you to get back and so many fun activities we can do by being Oly and HIM fit!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply